Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

The winners of the Main Street Challenge will be announced on May 22 at an event at The Showroom.  The finalists will make pitches to attendees, then the selection committee will select the 3 winners.  In addition, a fourth "crowd favorite" will receive the money from ticket proceeds from the event (it costs $5 to attend).

Looking forward to seeing which businesses win!

And the finalists of the Main Street Challenge have been announced!  They are:

Endeavor Forever (College/Greek Apparel, Krystal Borsch/Jessica Cole)

Haute Mama (Maternity Specialty Store, Allison Little/Sara Riddle)

The Local Hiker (Hiking/Backpacking Store, Michael & Kathy Silverman)

Motte & Sons Bootlegging Co. (Distillery, Michael & Eugenia Motte)

Pink Butterflies (Children’s Salon/Spa, Sheila McClesky)

Tortoise & the Hare (Running Specialty Store, Teresa Hrubala)

The Vibe Tea House (Tea House/Desserts; Cindy Ball, Marlanda DeKine, Antonio Mack)

Growler Haus voluntarily withdrew from the MSC, because they said they have locked in on a great downtown location that is more suitable for their needs than any of the MSC locations.  So it looks like we're going to get at least 4-5 new businesses from this!

Kudos to Growler Haus for pulling out to open a spot for someone else. Hopefully Growler Haus will go where the cigar bar used to be or in one of the buildings next to it on the square.

It's offical,  there is a Growler Haus sign at the old cigar bar!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The winners of the Main Street Challenge are:

The Local Hiker (hiking equipment)

Motte & Sons Bootlegging Co. (distillery)

Haute Mama (maternity shop)

I was at the announcement event, and those 3 definitely sounded to me like they were the most organized / had the best business plans.  Looking forward to seeing these businesses open downtown!

H-J article

Edited by westsider28

Exciting news!  Midtown Properties (who renovated the Cantrell Wagon Building) is proposing a multi-story building at the northeastern corner of Wall and Broad.  This building will take part of the small parking lot across from City Hall.  It will have office or retail on the ground floor and at least 8 apartments on the upper floors.  To my knowledge, this will be the first new construction of an office or residential building in DT since 2008.  I hope this is the just the first of more to come!

Edit: here's a screen-cap of the building's footprint from the City meeting agenda (page 14):

post-24605-0-42862000-1369775761_thumb.j

Edited by westsider28

• 2 weeks later...

Another new business is opening downtown tomorrow.  Herb & Renewal is on East Main, right next to Yogalicious (an ideal location for this type of store).  They sell herbs, oils, and herbal extracts for customers seeking alternative wellness solutions. 

Great to see this in addition to the coming Main Street Challenge winners!  Now we just need a restaurant up on East Main (maybe once the SCC campus opens).

So, I was listening to the latest City Podcast, and I learned a few new things.  Firstly, there's been a lot of work going on in the second floor of the pink building next to Wild Ace, which is apparently being renovated for apartments.  Also, there will be a business (office, presumably) above Renato's on Morgan Square.  There was also a tease of a few more leases that have been signed for businesses downtown (announcements to come in the future).  The podcast also discusses the question: are we finally reaching "critical mass"?  It's possible.  Check out all the recent activity:

Apartments in pink building (next to Wild Ace)
Schuyler Building renovation
Magnolia Lofts
New Wall & Broad building
Katalyst Network Group branch office
Three Main Street Challenge winners
Growler Haus
Herb & Renewal
Iron Yard
Renato's on Morgan Square (business above)
SCC Downtown Campus
New Catholic Church

And a few as-yet-unannounced businesses?

Wow! :shok::thumbsup::yahoo:

http://www.theironyard.com/

The Spartanburg business accelerator program (focusing on healthcare software) starts in the fall.

I agree that the Montgomery Building is really important, but I don't think DT's success hinges on the MB being renovated.  Instead, I think DT's success will eventually cause it to be renovated.  I like that the focus (as far as retail goes) is on Morgan Square and Main Street (where it should be at this point) and that several vacant buildings are being renovated (both for retail/restaurant and apartments).  That just increases the chances of both new construction and MB renovation in the future.

Edited by westsider28

I'm hoping that the USC Upstate business school will accomplish that too. Two things have to happen though. 1) There has to be something quality to go to. 2) It has to be easier to walk than to drive. People will not walk if there is a way that requires less effort (even though it may cost them money).

A new formal dress shop is ready to take flight downtown.

Local businesswoman Tiffany Linder and her aunt by marriage, Betty Greene, have purchased the 113-year-old Walker & Amos building at 160 E. Main St. for their concept, The Greene Canary.

The 5,000-square-foot store will feature an array of gowns for weddings, pageants, proms and other social events, as well as custom dressmaking, tailoring and customer pampering. The owners anticipate opening Sept. 1.

• 3 weeks later...

WJ Partners (an investment group w/GDJ involved) purchased Pure Barre and have moved the corporate headquarters from Denver to One Morgan Square.  There are currently 25 employees (some moved from Denver) and more hiring is planned.  The second floor above Subway on Magnolia Street and the whole 2-story adjoining building are currently being renovated for a corporate training studio, as well.  Great news!

H-J article

GSA Business article

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at Craigslist and noticed some new info on "The Lofts at 154" (upper floor of pink building next to Wild Ace).  There will be 2 units; a 4-bedroom for $2,500/month and a 3-bedroom for $2,200/month.  An interesting choice to go with multiple bedrooms in a single unit, rather than several 1BR units.  I guess they're marketing these primarily to college students.  You can see some info and floor plan below.

00c0c_6z484iMKqgW_600x450.jpg  00606_j1ycY37d47E_600x450.jpg

Per a very good source, the old disco downtown called Rome and whatever came after it (lasted about 1 week) are about to become a new disco. The building owner has leased the building to a company out of Atlanta and they plan to operate it as a new style disco (whatever that is). Not going out on a limb here but I predict complete and utter failure here. It hasn't worked twice, why should the 3rd time be the charm?

Per a very good source, the old disco downtown called Rome and whatever came after it (lasted about 1 week) are about to become a new disco. The building owner has leased the building to a company out of Atlanta and they plan to operate it as a new style disco (whatever that is). Not going out on a limb here but I predict complete and utter failure here. It hasn't worked twice, why should the 3rd time be the charm?

Does anyone else besides me think this building is underutilized when used as a disco?

• Like 2

Does anyone else besides me think this building is underutilized when used as a disco?

Well I certainly do, but when Joe Wells created Rome he spent a ton of money gutting what had been a Kimbrell's furniture store and creating a Roman type atmosphere. I would imagine a lot of that still remains and might be expensive to modify. Its a prime place for retail but as the guy above says, its not going to happen right now. I also imagine the former mayor does not like having a disco across the street from where he lives.