Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

The former mayor shouldn't have moved to Morgan Square if he didn't want to be around noise.

I want to know more about the work that guy did to turn Kimbrells into "Rome." I tried to go in there once and they were charging a cover (I don't pay covers to go into an empty building). But from what I could see from the door it didn't look that impressive or expensive. Maybe it all went into wiring and plumbing or something?

The owners Palmetto Olive Oil Co. (on Augusta Road in Greenville) are opening a store at 124 Magnolia Street (above Refuel Wine Bar) called Olive and Then Some.  The store will offer premium olive oils and aged balsamic vinegars.  The owners had a lot of Spartanburg customers at their Greenville location, which prompted their decision to open a location here.  They also hope to offer validated parking for the Magnolia Garage (good idea!).

H-J article

With the Pure Barre training facility and now this, Magnolia Street is seeing a bit of a resurgence.

I had a glass of wine in the wine shop last night and the owner was actually beotching about the Ferris Wheel because it was cutting down on 30 parking spots. I was like, "hey Tony its bringing folks to downtown that normally might not come down". Also if you can get folks to commit to parking in the decks in the future they won't even think of looking for the closest spot.

I saw a buddy of mine last night that I normally don't see downtown and he was there with his wife and kids to try Wild Aces for dinner and to check out the Ferris Wheel. He said he originally thought the ice rink was a BS idea but had to swallow that when over 14K actually used the rink and gosh knows the total that visited to watch. He now thinks the Ferris Wheel will have the same effect.

I'm glad you set them straight! Things like this are maybe a little on the gimmicky side of things, but they get people downtown and ultimately get people more interested in going downtown on a regular basis... maybe even opening up a business there. Kudos to Spartanburg for thinking outside the box on this one.

Just a few things: I went to the August DRB meeting when they reviewed the Wall & Broad project.  The colors on that rendering are not accurate (the developers said this).  It's more to show the general design and massing.  The building will be a mix of 2 kinds of brick primarily, and possibly some stone.  The DRB asked them to change the type of stone (and possibly switch the apartment entrance from the back to the front) before final approval.  They're also going with one ground floor apartment in lieu of an elevator for ADA compliance. Here are scans of the project from the meeting (sorry for holding out on you guys!):

post-24605-0-16915200-1377057457_thumb.jpost-24605-0-11111500-1377057455_thumb.jpost-24605-0-32765100-1377057447_thumb.jpost-24605-0-90382300-1377057449_thumb.jpost-24605-0-03945500-1377057454_thumb.jpost-24605-0-80971300-1377057448_thumb.jpost-24605-0-93262900-1377057452_thumb.j

Edited by westsider28

Just a few things: I went to the August DRB meeting when they reviewed the Wall & Broad project.  The colors on that rendering are not accurate (the developers said this).  It's more to show the general design and massing.  The building will be a mix of 2 kinds of brick primarily, and possibly some stone.  The DRB asked them to change the type of stone (and possibly switch the apartment entrance from the back to the front) before final approval.  They're also going with one ground floor apartment in lieu of an elevator for ADA compliance. Here are scans of the project from the meeting (sorry for holding out on you guys!):

attachicon.gifwest elev.JPGattachicon.gifsouth elev.JPGattachicon.gifeast elev.JPGattachicon.gifnorth elev.JPGattachicon.gifsite plan.JPGattachicon.giffirst floor.JPGattachicon.gifsecond floor.JPG

I just watched the video in the city's website and Will Rothchild reports the building may be four floors rather than three. 

City Council approved the sale of the One Morgan Square land to Johnson Development.  They had been leasing the land at no cost with an option to buy the land at $4.50/sq.ft. at any time until 2022.  JD approached the City recently offering $4.00/sq.ft. in exchange for a quick sale.  The City will get $329,288 for the land, which they plan to use for streetscape projects and short-term parks & rec facility improvements.

Also, Council endorsed first reading of an ordinance that would provide special property tax assessments for rehabilitated historic properties to encourage renovation of historic buildings.  The building owner would avoid higher property taxes on the increased value of the building for a period of time.  The Historic and Architectural Review Board will determine what qualifies.

H-J article

I believe the Ferris Wheel was a big hit. I was downtown Saturday night as they had a band playing (The Back9) that I like and know some of the members. They were set up where MOM is right next to the WOLI (wheel of light and illusion). There was a beer truck not normally seen in the burg (one selling something other than Bud) selling 8 different types of craft beer and as that part of downtown starting filling up it started to rock at a pretty good clip. We stayed until about 9:30 then went to Wild Aces for some food. It was still 3/4's full at that time which I thought was a good sign. Needless to say, it was one of my better downtown experiences lately and it beats having to leave town to do so.

I'd love to know who the private donor was that put up the dough for this. The WOLI was packed all night long with lines backed up around the old Abby's building.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a few small, but interesting things downtown last week.

First, the Plaza on Main (former Bishop Furniture building) had a sign posted saying they are moving to the space above Cohen's on West Main.  I think that location will be a good fit for that concept (small business & artisan gallery / bazaar) and will work well with Cohen's.  I'm hopeful this may mean the building they're vacating could be redeveloped, perhaps with apartments on the upper floors (there were conceptual drawings for that several years ago).

post-24605-0-80644400-1378343726_thumb.j post-24605-0-05853900-1378343371_thumb.j post-24605-0-11821200-1378343373_thumb.j

Second, the former Piedmont Blood Center building nearby has been undergoing some work in the last month or so.  I think the roof was redone/replaced and they've been cleaning out the inside.  I also noticed that a hole was cut in the stucco exterior to check the condition of the historic brick facade underneath.

post-24605-0-57178000-1378343809_thumb.j

I really hope both of these building owners will take advantage of the aforementioned property tax break and renovate these historic buildings.

• 4 weeks later...

Growler Haus is indeed up and running and has been for the last 4-6 weeks (I am actually headed over in about an hour). They have not advertised except through social media and word of mouth, but it has become my crowd's go to bar. According to them business is picking up and they have decided to advertise the grand opening to be held Oct 12.

Growler Haus is indeed up and running and has been for the last 4-6 weeks (I am actually headed over in about an hour). They have not advertised except through social media and word of mouth, but it has become my crowd's go to bar. According to them business is picking up and they have decided to advertise the grand opening to be held Oct 12.

Wofford's homecoming street party is also that Saturday. The Root Doctors are playing at Morgan Square 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM. I have been to Growler's a few times. They did a good job with the remodel and the staff friendly/knowledgable.   

• 2 weeks later...

More floors is better!

This is pretty exciting. I THINK this is the first project that will be completely under the guise of the Urban Code.

The mixed use building on Wall St. may not make it to construction. The master plan doesn't allow certain elements that the developer wants and the design review board is not approving the facade.

Do you have any inside info about the project actually not happening?  I've been at the DRB meetings, and it's ridiculous that the developer insists on having fieldstone on the facade when the Urban Code clearly prohibits it. 

I also haven't been too impressed with the seeming lack of professionalism from the developer's team.  They come to the DRB all wishy-washy and say "we're thinking we'd like something like this maybe, but it could change."  Give the DRB an exact list of materials so they can approve or reject them.  Don't try to give people the run-around.

Basically, if the developer would drop the fieldstone obsession and make that area of the facade brick, construction could've started already.

A few updates on downtown retail.  The Culinary Hub--a shared-use commercial kitchen (food trucks can use it), culinary incubator, and event venue--has opened in the Bijou Building (Broad St. side).  Both The Local Hiker and Olive and Then Some are having grand opening events next Saturday (Oct. 26).  Olive and Then Some is actually already open on Magnolia Street.  I believe that Haute Mama (maternity store) is supposed to open sometime in November.  Lots of positive momentum downtown!

• 1 month later...

Ridiculous. Good for the DRB for standing up for themselves. This is the kind of thing that would set a bad precedent if they start bending the rules.

An update on this project from the developer. This project will break ground by the end of the year!! The delay has been multi fold. One, the City needs to do some

infrastructure repairs and reconfiguration of Wall St. that will be done in conjunction with this building to keep the area from having two back to back construction projects in the Same area (the festival street that was just funded and announced). Two, the City was given the option of a four story building that would require four parking spaces being sold to the developer or a three story building with no parking. The City chose no parking, thus the plans were converted to three stories. FYI, Stone will go on the building, but the details are still pending. The mix will be 9 apartments and 4 small commercial spaces.

• 3 weeks later...