Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

From the article: Scheduled to break ground in Q1 2014, finish later in the year.

Here's the architect's website - http://www.gpnarcht.com/

That's the best rendering I've seen of this project.  Can't wait for it to break ground! 

(Here's the image, for convenience)

thewallstreetproject.jpg

Spartan, I believe the Urban Code has no parking requirements (unlike most cities, as I understand).  So it would be up to each developer to figure out how much parking they need/want (if any), and then work it out with the City on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by westsider28

• 3 weeks later...

As you may know, the Main Street Challenge is back for 2014.  The City recently put up banners in the windows of potential locations (this time not just on East Main).  You can find the available storefronts here.  Some great / really important spots are available, including the former Montgomery Ward building, the ground floor of the Library Commons, and the former Carolina Gallery and all three buildings between Wall and Spring on Morgan Square.  Applications must be received by Feb. 7.

Last year the program was a huge success, and I can't wait to see what kind of businesses we get this year!

• 3 weeks later...

Work has begun on the Wall & Broad building (the address is 201 Wall Street, so I guess we could call it that).  There was an H-J article a few days ago about it.  Rents should be in the $800-1200 range.  The apartments will have wood floors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and balconies.  The commercial spaces on the ground floor (not yet leased) are supposed to be affordable and have a flexible design to fit tenants' needs.  They're working on a parking plan for residents (it mentions that $25 City parking permits are available).  Here's a photo of the site work from the City's Facebook page.

1546290_760616407283125_701859789_n.jpg

It looks like a regional office for OEC Graphics (HQ'd in Oshkosh, WI) is opening in Spartanburg.  They are a "vertically integrated pre-media company and globally recognized expert in flexography."  There's a sign on the left-most space in the old Aug. W. Smith building.  I also found this press release about their Carolinas office while Googling the business.  It looks like this is only their 6th location, with the nearest being Atlanta.  So while maybe not a big economic impact, this is certainly more good news for downtown.

post-24605-0-65907400-1390535134_thumb.j

Sorry for the confusion.  It's tough to know what to call these places.  The building OEC is going in was the original Aug W Smith location, before it moved further up E Main to the 3-story building (~174 E Main) that then housed Bishop Furniture for quite some time (now vacant).

The building OEC is going in is next to the Palmetto Building, and I believe Belk occupied both buildings at one point.  The building's current tenants include Live Fit Now and on the Dunbar side, SPACE.  It's kind of strange that both buildings have the address 100 E Main (they are 2 separate buildings).

Rambling aside, the name of the building varies based on the era you're talking about. :silly:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Main Street Challenge field has been narrowed from 34 to 15 semifinalists.  Concepts include: 2 farm-to-table restaurants, quick service pasta restaurant, dental practice, 2 juice bars, chocolatier, ice cream and sweets shop, candy shop, tea house, running and apparel store, Puerto Rican restaurant, pet grooming shop, custom gifts & awards store, and a "makerspace" (DIY projects, metal/wood workshops, etc).

Semifinalists will submit their business plans and support documents by April 18.  The selection committee will narrow the field to 6 finalists in May.  The public pitch event, The Main Event, where the 3 winners will be announced will be May 22.

Really like all those entries this year.  Can't wait to see who wins.  Hopefully we can get some non-winners to open, too.  And I hope we can get at least one restaurant up on East Main!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of DT development updates: 201 Wall Street has most of its concrete foundation poured.  Hopefully it will start going vertical soon.

post-24605-0-60582200-1394493086_thumb.j

The building Renato's is moving into was just repainted.  Formerly (blueish?) grey, it is now beige with black accents.  It's got sort of an Italian look.  I'm glad to see the building finally painted, as that was certainly needed.

post-24605-0-78820400-1394493088_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Renato's sign has gone up.  I've heard that they will open in about a month.  As for the other floors, this H-J article from January says, "The building is expected to have office space for a local insurance company on the second floor and an apartment on the third floor."

post-24605-0-88257500-1395710127_thumb.j post-24605-0-36808300-1395710129_thumb.j

Also, 201 Wall Street is going vertical.  The wooden framing for the first floor is virtually complete.

post-24605-0-26542600-1395710247_thumb.j post-24605-0-26555700-1395710249_thumb.j post-24605-0-48898600-1395710251_thumb.j post-24605-0-56519900-1395710253_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I found an interesting tidbit in one of the Project Bravo IV (see Northside thread for more on that) documents.  It mentioned an apartment being developed in the former blood bank building on East Main.  I'm surprised it said 1 unit, because that would be a huge unit.  I'm probably most excited for a potential facade restoration and future first floor retail.  So we'll see what happens with that.

Also, construction continues on 201 Wall.  They were putting the 3rd-floor balconies in the other day.  Here's a photo from the City's FB page:

10014596_801858276492271_543167751231657

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

I found an interesting tidbit in one of the Project Bravo IV (see Northside thread for more on that) documents.  It mentioned an apartment being developed in the former blood bank building on East Main.  I'm surprised it said 1 unit, because that would be a huge unit.  I'm probably most excited for a potential facade restoration and future first floor retail.  So we'll see what happens with that.

Also, construction continues on 201 Wall.  They were putting the 3rd-floor balconies in the other day.  Here's a photo from the City's FB page:

10014596_801858276492271_543167751231657

I know the developer and he's already done some good projects downtown.  It will be exciting to see this project come together.  THANKS FOR POSTING!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw on the city's web site that the finalists for The Main Street Challege are: Tirado’s Empanadas & More, a restaurant that currently operates out of the food court at WestGate Mall; Scoops and Ladles, a restaurant featuring ice cream, sweets, and soups; Paisley Paw, a pet boutique; Project Hub, a “makerspace” concept; and the Health in Hand Juice Bar.

The winners will be announced May 22 at The Showroom/Hub-bub.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on 201 Wall Street: it's now completely topped out, awnings over the balconies have been put up, and windows are being installed.  The next step should be cladding (brick, etc).  Here are some photos from this past weekend:

post-24605-0-29034100-1400645327_thumb.j post-24605-0-21823400-1400645329_thumb.j post-24605-0-67806700-1400645331_thumb.j

Oh, and the big paper signs in the windows of Renato's have been taken down, so opening is likely imminent.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, get ready to likely see another historic building meet the wrecking ball.  The City has told the owners (Arthur State Bank) of the Hammond Brown Jennings building (built in 1912) on Church Street to repair it or demolish it.  There is water damage in one section.  Supposedly they have been trying to find a developer. 

This is a beautiful, large commercial building (one of the last on Church Street).  It would be great for apartments, like the Spartan Inn / Magnolia Lofts.  I feel like it's probably a goner, but I really hope I'm wrong and someone will step in to save it.  Maybe the facade could be preserved, at least.

Edited by westsider28

Well, get ready to likely see another historic building meet the wrecking ball.  The City has told the owners (Arthur State Bank) of the Hammond Brown Jennings building (built in 1912) on Church Street to repair it or demolish it.  There is water damage in one section.  Supposedly they have been trying to find a developer. 

This is a beautiful, large commercial building (one of the last on Church Street).  It would be great for apartments, like the Spartan Inn / Magnolia Lofts.  I feel like it's probably a goner, but I really hope I'm wrong and someone will step in to save it.  Maybe the facade could be preserved, at least.

This building was a wreck way back in 1973 when I participated in Junior Achievement there.  I guess it had been vacant for a number of years when J-A moved in. 

I love to see old buildings restored but its quite possible the HBJ building is too deterioted to be worth a rehab effort.  Moreover, it sits on a great piece of corner real estate that could presumably be a choice spot for an office building or hotel.

This building was a wreck way back in 1973 when I participated in Junior Achievement there.  I guess it had been vacant for a number of years when J-A moved in. 

I love to see old buildings restored but its quite possible the HBJ building is too deterioted to be worth a rehab effort.  Moreover, it sits on a great piece of corner real estate that could presumably be a choice spot for an office building or hotel.

This building needs to go for a couple of reasons. Number one, It greatly limits the development potential for one of the most desirable corners in Spartanburg. Number two, the building doesn't appear to be historically significant. I would love to see a building on that corner that has ground level interest and height to match the Montgomery Building, and a skywalk to access the parking garage behind the George for parking.

I wouldn't have a problem seeing the building go, if there was a plan to replace it.  It's owned by a bank, so I'm sure it would have been sold already if there had been interest in building something there.  Not to mention that the crappy tiny building attached to it (separate lot with a different owner) would also need to be acquired for any corner development.  There are plenty of totally empty lots in prime areas of the city (some City-owned, who would sell for $1), but it's not like developers are clamoring for sites.  If the building is demolished, I see that lot sitting empty for years (well, likely a parking lot).

• 2 weeks later...

I think all historic buildings should be preserved unless there is an extremely good reason not to. End of story.

The only benefit to losing this building is that you could combine the two lots to build something a little larger. And in reality, you'd want to pull all three lots there (including the parking lot at St John and Trade St to make a single rectangular tract of land.