Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

Any updates on the planned hotel next to the Marriott?

My understanding is that the AC hotel basically killed the hotel next to the Marriott... Or at least delayed it. The City put all of its eggs for this type of project into the AC. As much as I wasn't to see forward progress with Renaissance, after nearly 20 years I think we can afford to wait for the right project. To me, a hotel next to another hotel isn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

The City has put in two brick & stone signs for Wall Street (at Main & Broad).  They're practical since there were no longer any street signs labeling the street, and they're also very attractive.

post-24605-0-18933900-1436375472_thumb.j post-24605-0-53643400-1436375477_thumb.j post-24605-0-32073800-1436375479_thumb.j post-24605-0-32677700-1436375474_thumb.j

Also, approved at the DRB meeting was a plan to reconstruct the facade at 130 Magnolia.  Right now it's an eyesore covered in plywood, so this will make it look much better.  They don't have a tenant lined up, but this renovation will make it easier for a business to move in.  I'm really hoping that Magnolia takes off once the streetscaping there is done.

post-24605-0-82529800-1436375468_thumb.j post-24605-0-37407200-1436375470_thumb.j post-24605-0-53301000-1436375466_thumb.j post-24605-0-18870000-1436375465_thumb.j

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

The City of Spartanburg may approve incentives for the renovation of the Sandwich Factory building at 137 W Main St. They would require a minimum investment of $150,000 and contribute 15% of the renovation costs. This is a key location for downtown. All of the remaining historic buildings along Morgan Square should have the highest demand for restaurant/retail space, that, in turn, will cause more development to spread out from there.

http://www.goupstate.com/Spartanburg-City-Council-to-consider-help-for-developer-of-137-West-Main-Street?Title=City-Council-to-consider-help-for-developer-of-West-Main-Street-property

That's good. I hope that helps get the Sandwich Factory building filled quickly.  It's a bummer that the sale of those buildings near Wall Street fell through. Hope someone else buys them soon.

Edit: Moved rest of post to more appropriate Grain District thread.

Edited by westsider28
Moved part of post to other thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Facade work on the Magnolia Street building is coming along.  This will look really nice.  It already looks much better than its previous decrepit state.

mag1.thumb.JPG.f5bc82278ba0608be0c4dc9d4mag2.thumb.JPG.682214bc99a309398f713ea5c

For some reason I was thinking that the building they were renovating was the social security building.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty minor thing, but I think having a functioning clock on the clocktower is fantastic. I'm glad the city is repairing it. While I knew the bell came from the opera house, I didn't realize the clock did too.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150820/ARTICLES/150829998/1112?Title=City-begins-refurbishing-clock-tower-in-Spartanburg

City Council voted 7-0 to move forward with demolition of the old Economy Inn.  To me, this motel was not as problematic as the others, as it's really tucked away.  And I actually like the historic-ish office by the street.  I think the Village Inn is the biggest problem, mainly because of its high-visibility.  Next would be the College Inn, because it seems like there are a lot of police reports from there.  I actually think the Super Lodge could have some potential to be re-purposed as retro-style apartments.  But all-in-all, good news. One motel down, 3 to go.

I agree; that is great news! I am excited for the future of this intersection; it's awful at the moment, but has so much potential and is the main gateway to Spartanburg. I'm happy to finally see something positive.

We live in close proximity to the College Inn, and that place is a complete dump. It seems to get most of the business of our lovely motel collection. Had to call police multiple times the past few years for various reasons that can all be attributed to the College Inn. It needs to go. 

The Super Lodge would definitely make a cool, mid-century boutique motel. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the City can revoke their business license if there's enough illegal activity / crime at the motel.  I recall that Greenville shut down a similarly seedy motel several years ago.  I would love for the City to flex some muscle and do that, if the College Inn fits the qualifications for that type of action.

I think it has to get to epic proportions before the city will revoke their business license (don't want to lose that income) and risk being sued by the business owner. If it were that easy, every seedy motel/hotel in the city/county would have been shut down years ago.

Don't get me wrong as I am all for it. I can remember a time when my relatives would come into town in the 70's and would stay at the Super Lodge because it was close to Simple Simon. It is the one that has some potential, the other 2 (Village and College Inn) need to pack it up since they only appear to be multi day rentals for seedy people.

• Like 1

They are all drug houses and home to pimps and prostitutes. The Village and the College Inn should

be closed and torn down. Can you imagine the impression a visitor would have of Spartanburg if they

were to stay at one of these dumps because the good hotels were sold out? The Super Lodge could

be renovated into a boutique inn with a cool factor or apartments for college students.

Edited by spartanburgh

I think it has to get to epic proportions before the city will revoke their business license (don't want to lose that income) and risk being sued by the business owner. If it were that easy, every seedy motel/hotel in the city/county would have been shut down years ago.

Don't get me wrong as I am all for it. I can remember a time when my relatives would come into town in the 70's and would stay at the Super Lodge because it was close to Simple Simon. It is the one that has some potential, the other 2 (Village and College Inn) need to pack it up since they only appear to be multi day rentals for seedy people.

You are probably correct. Would be dictatorial to be able to close a business that is operating legally. 

I had a brief conversation with Ed Memmott a couple of years back after a particular incident (Cate Ryba put me in touch with him--miss her but not to say others aren't doing a great job). He strongly encouraged us, and the rest of our neighborhood, to call the police for any and all incidents. Reading (listening) between the lines, I took that as him saying some of the best ammunition the city has against the motels are police reports from residents in the area. This wasn't long before the Economy Inn was shuttered.

The worst part about the College Inn is that the "residents" like to walk/saunter through our neighborhood on the way to the Spinx. Most of the folks mean no harm and I have no issue with them--just try to say a friendly hello. Granted, we chose this neighborhood and are willing to deal with its shortcomings and hope for continual improvement, but if the College Inn were gone, 90% of my concerns about safety and theft would also be gone.

I really applaud the city for their efforts in this, though. We're at the nascent stages of what will eventually be an inviting, reimagined Main/Pine intersection with the Economy Inn being demo'ed and the large lot put up for sale. It should be an inviting gateway to the city for visitors. It's a first impression that folks get when they arrive at Main St. coming from 85. I wish we could do more as residents to push it along.

Edited by barkmenton
  • Like 1

I didn't realize the owner of the Economy Inn owns the corner lot, too (shopping center with The Skillet, etc).  That makes this a very attractive redevelopment site.  I know there were some plans for this corner many years ago.  I hope we can get something good here, though I think it may be a while before that happens.

There was a proposal for redeveloping the Main & Pine Shopping Center a few years back, but as far as I know it never went anywhere. If done well, it could be a pretty transformative project. If the Economy Inn site and the brick bank on the corner redeveloped too then it would do a lot to connect the Converse Heights side of Pine to the downtown side from a pedestrian standpoint.

• Like 1

Things REALLY about to pop downtown. We've officially moved into that next level where multiple significant projects are going to be going on at the same time for the foreseeable future in downtown Spartanburg. To wit:

1. New Miyako location: Renovation of the former pawn shop and loan buildings on Magnolia Street for the new home of Miyako is underway. Will take about a year to complete this extensive project.

2. Renovation continuing on another Magnolia building a few doors down.

3. Hotel project: Demo of Event Rentals, followed by site prep and finally construction of AC hotel is imminent. Hotel still on track to open in fall 2017.

4. Co-Op: Renovation and upfit should start anytime now. Projected to be a 6- to 7-month project.

5. Broadview Apartments: Provided no hiccups, should get underway in the next 2-3 months. Maybe sooner.

6. Royce Camp's residential project next to Carriage House Wines. Not sure what the holdup is, but think this is still inching closer to coming out of the chute late this year or early next.

7. Former Paparrazzi building: Just was bought by a new owner who is highly motivated to land a high-quality tenant sooner than later.

Not far-fetched that all of these projects, with some luck, could be underway at the same time. Gonna be a lot of construction trucks and workers downtown.