Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

City Council will vote Monday on first reading of a development agreement (see CC Agenda) that would facilitate a 120-unit apartment project at the former Cannon Roofing site at Kennedy and Union Streets.  The developer is Lat Purser of Charlotte.  They would offer 10% of the units as workforce housing (leased to those who make at or below 80% of area median income).  The developer would invest a minimum of $16.5 million.  The City would provide a fee-in-lieu-of-tax (FILOT) and construct/maintain the Dan Trail (MBF Rail Trail downtown extension) in front of the property (this project marinating behind the scenes likely explains the trail's delay).

They provide some examples of projects in Rock Hill, Florence, and Davidson, NC that have similar quality/massing to what they plan to build here.  This project sounds fantastic!  Hope it continues to move forward toward development.

That's a great site for an apartment community. The total of new units in or around Downtown is getting impressive.

-Cannon site              120

-Behind Marriott    200

-Bon Haven               160

-VCOM                            36 (approximately)

-VCOM 2                        60 (approximately)

-Andrew Babb             18

-Magnolia St.                 60  (55 years and older)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 12:01 PM, westsider28 said:

So I was checking the City's bid webpage, and found an RFP for redevelopment of the former TK Gregg site along Northview Street just off St John.  It's 11 acres, zoned DT-4 and the City is looking for primarily market-rate residential that complements the existing neighborhood.  The City also "encourages a mix of living environments, sizes, and price points and welcomes creative strategies for the inclusion of some home-ownership opportunities for those with below median incomes."

This is a somewhat challenging site, considering the significant grade changes and creek.  But this would help densify and add more residents to downtown.  It seems like it would mostly be single-family residential, but I could see there potentially being a small apartment component.  And I'm thinking attached townhomes are likely, as those seem to be quite popular right now.  I'm also hoping this would spur renovations and improvements in the surrounding neighborhood.  It will be interesting to see how this develops.

5ae0a5841fcaa_FormerTKGreggredevsite.JPG.cbb6f20dc87dc7c8057a113a81f0c0bf.JPG

This is back, with another RFQ up on the City's website.  Pretty much the same as before, with a bit more detail here: "The City’s goal is 20% of all units affordable to families at or below 80% of the Area Median Income for all housing types. For residential developments, the City is seeking approximately 10 units per acre or higher. The City will partner with a developer to seek a mixed-income and mixed-use commercial and residential development on the site. The City of Spartanburg will enter into a public private partnership with the successful developer with the qualifications to implement the vision of the City of Spartanburg for the site."

I think there's more momentum in this area now than in 2018, so hopefully the City can find a developer this time.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, MAJIKMAN said:

Hey. I’ve been kind of wondering who would know about the new development on Caulder Avenue by the Montgomery Development Group. There redeveloping the old school at Caulder Ave and Caulder Circle. Here is the website: https://www.montgomerydevelopmentgroup.com/portfolio/multifamily/the-avenue

We were talking about that in another thread, but I created a separate topic for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 2:50 PM, spartanburgh said:

A local developer has proposed this condo/mixed use project for Downtown Spartanburg.  It has not gained traction to this point, but hopefully will get the support of the City

in the coming months.  The important thing is that it represents condo's, not more apartments and would activate a corner in Downtown. While the design is different, it would

have to be blessed by the DRB as well.

Spring Place Condo's.jpg

Has anybody heard anything about this project going forward?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 3:30 PM, Sparkleman said:

Is there any way to know or find out what the occupancy rate is at places like Church St Lofts, Montgomery Building, Drayton Mills Apartments, etc?

The Mongtogmery Building: 

Residentail is essentially full. 

Retail/Commercial: 

Basement: Most of the big spots are filled. Some of the smaller areas have been leased as storage to 1st floor retail. 

1st Floor: Only one spot open

2nd Floor: Wide open and availalbe. 

3rd Floor: Has been subdivided. At least one office is taken now but I have not looked in about a month. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Herald-Journal published a solid summary of 9 development projects underway that should see substantial progress (or be completed) in 2021.

Here are the 9 projects:  County Courthouse, Liberty Street Apts (The Charles), Kennedy Street Apts (Lat Purser project), Northside projects, Highland Transformation Plan, The Danmor, former MHW Elem Apts, Bon Haven Apts, and Robert Smalls Apts (Norris Ridge replacement on Wofford Street).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Spartan said:

I'm glad to see there is a debate occurring about whether or not to permanently close Morgan Square to traffic. What do y'all think about it?

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/20/some-downtown-spartanburg-business-owners-want-main-street-reopened/6637643002/

I'm totally for closing Morgan Square to vehicular traffic but it will be tough sale for some retailers and restaurants.  In 2019 One Spartanburg commissioned a study on how to expand the square for public events and closing streets, especially Dunbar, seems like a no-brainer to me.  

53 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

I'm totally for closing Morgan Square to vehicular traffic but it will be tough sale for some retailers and restaurants.  In 2019 One Spartanburg commissioned a study on how to expand the square for public events and closing streets, especially Dunbar, seems like a no-brainer to me.  

I think an easy compromise would be a redesign to close dunbar, and set up that block of Main Street to allow for vehicular traffic - but not look like it. Have you seen the redesign of Main Street in Greer? Ours needs to look like that. Works for SLOW traffic but easy to close down on nights/weekends/etc.

Downtown-Greer-SC-Cropped.thumb.jpg.9851e5f23fcbb0f88fc59a2393633358.jpg

• Like 4

Tucked into the bottom of this article there is a blurb about scooters. City Council is considering allowing scooters in downtown. I think its cool, but if they think anyone is going to follow the rules, they're crazy. People will begin complaining about them almost immediately. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great thing for the city, just be prepared for growing pains.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/25/spartanburg-road-renamed-honor-crossing-guard-mss-emma-taylor-way/6679408002/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Scooters were approved for a 6-month pilot project. Should be fun times this summer!

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/26/blue-duck-scooter-rentals-land-downtown-spartanburg-spring/6628053002/

I attended Blue Duck's presentation to One Spartanburg last year.  They know what they're doing and have everything figured out.  But I agree, this will be a fun summer in downtown Spartanburg.  

Royce Camp announced that the Danmor is canceled. :(
He's stated that due to all of the residential construction around downtown, he's lost faith in the need for this project. 
I hate that it's canceled. But I hated the building design and lack of commercial space on the first level. Maybe he'll bring something better to the site eventually. 

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/28/downtown-spartanburg-apartment-project-danmor-has-been-canceled/4261267001/?fbclid=IwAR0neeesPMcwrEP4tPHQH-kOaBS4s1tgbw3ujuPAc_nt7TGFcbw3kDvjx8g

8 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Royce Camp announced that the Danmor is canceled. :(
He's stated that due to all of the residential construction around downtown, he's lost faith in the need for this project. 
I hate that it's canceled. But I hated the building design and lack of commercial space on the first level. Maybe he'll bring something better to the site eventually. 

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/28/downtown-spartanburg-apartment-project-danmor-has-been-canceled/4261267001/?fbclid=IwAR0neeesPMcwrEP4tPHQH-kOaBS4s1tgbw3ujuPAc_nt7TGFcbw3kDvjx8g

I'm not surprised the DanMor got canceled but not for reason you may think.  

Sure, there's a lot of apartments being built or planning to be built but I don't think the market is saturated yet.  Occupancy rates, at last check, were high and demand seems to be strong.  

I think this particular developer is more risk averse than developers with larger portfolios and better access to capital and financing.  This is my guess why the project was canceled   

The downside to the cancellation is the DanMor could have been a catalyst for more Grain District development.   I don't think the lack of retail made any difference.   Right now, there's hardly any demand for retail space anywhere.  

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

I'm not surprised the DanMor got canceled but not for reason you may think.  

Sure, there's a lot of apartments being built or planning to be built but I don't think the market is saturated yet.  Occupancy rates, at last check, were high and demand seems to be strong.  

I think this particular developer is more risk averse than developers with larger portfolios and better access to capital and financing.  This is my guess why the project was canceled   

The downside to the cancellation is the DanMor could have been a catalyst for more Grain District development.   I don't think the lack of retail made any difference.   Right now, there's hardly any demand for retail space anywhere.  

That makes all the sense in the world (reason for cancelation). I'll push back on the retail a bit though... yes, at the moment you're 100% right, there's a general lack of demand for commercial space. But thinking forward, I'd rather see some empty retail for a couple of years, that (when demand goes up) fills up, than a box with no retail, which doesn't attract pedestrians. 

On another note, the Cambria is dead, but a Fairfield is in the works for behind the Montgomery Bld. 
https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/29/what-we-know-new-hotel-proposed-downtown-spartanburg-fairfiled-inn-suites/4299155001/?fbclid=IwAR3YTEvuCBh57OCgJ_aV_ECsYsd9qVuoC7XwwWHZ_KyPWWl5bjXhnH2Y13g

Edited by Spartanburg Dude
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

That makes all the sense in the world (reason for cancelation). I'll push back on the retail a bit though... yes, at the moment you're 100% right, there's a general lack of demand for commercial space. But thinking forward, I'd rather see some empty retail for a couple of years, that (when demand goes up) fills up, than a box with no retail, which doesn't attract pedestrians. 

On another note, the Cambria is dead, but a Fairfield is in the works for behind the Montgomery Bld. 
https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/01/29/what-we-know-new-hotel-proposed-downtown-spartanburg-fairfiled-inn-suites/4299155001/?fbclid=IwAR3YTEvuCBh57OCgJ_aV_ECsYsd9qVuoC7XwwWHZ_KyPWWl5bjXhnH2Y13g

A Fairfield should work well downtown.   That brand has been inching up in quality and amenities over the last decade.  And, much stronger brand recognition than Cambria.  

I love the rendering.  Wow, right up against the street!   It's the kind of infill downtown needs  

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 1

That sidewalk sucks, y'all. Its maybe 8-10 feet wide, but right up against the street. You need to have a buffer space with traffic going 40mph+ on St John. Ideally with trees. If you want a sidewalk with that back of curb design to feel comfortable, then you need traffic to be about 20mph.