Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

On 12/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, westsider28 said:

Saw a notice in the paper for the Jan. 4 DRB meeting where a "Blue Moon Bodega" will be requesting final approval for a renovation of 220 East DMA (former Motte & Sons distillery).  I wonder if this is a relocation of Blue Moon's Church Street location or an additional concept.  Either way, this should be a great addition that's very convenient for residents of The Charles apartments (though a traffic light is really needed at Liberty and DMA or the apartment entrance on DMA to cross the dangerous, high-speed street that DMA is there).

Blue Moon Bodega is now official!  They announced on their Facebook page that they've acquired this site for an additional location.  It will support their expanding wholesale business as well as being "your new friendly neighborhood grocery store with our gourmet food products, plus other essentials like fresh produce, dairy, toiletries, wine & craft beer."  Can't wait! 

581841369_BlueMoonBodega.thumb.jpg.251095a005e1cfe49b67ff6b78b1da23.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

At Monday's City Council meeting, there's an item on the Executive Session agenda called “Project Eagle’s Nest” a Mixed Use Development in the Downtown Area.  I would guess that's probably the 3-tower project on East Main.  This is different from "Project Edge" mentioned several weeks ago.  Lots of stuff marinating behind the scenes it seems...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that 101 West St John (aka Spartan Center / JM Smith building) recently sold for $4M on Feb. 1 to Lakeview Partners LLC.  It seems connected to a Joanne Rogers who lives on Lake Bowen?  If anyone else knows more, please share.

There's been a lot of office movement recently: this, the H-J building's been trying to lease extra space, the Courtleigh Building next to the Schuyler Building was recently renovated, BB&T/Truist has space in their brutalist building on East Main. Those are Class-B or C space, so they may not be that desirable.  Also QS/1 recently had at least 40k SF available and the Purpose Financial building is 50k SF (those are technically Class-B+).  And we've potentially got 30k SF coming online with 234 N Church (the only true Class-A, I suppose).  Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out with respect to attracting tenants.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 2

A few random updates:

Lots of action on Magnolia Street: the hair salon I mentioned at 142 Social is called Mane & Magnolia (clever); sign is up for CCNB at 142 Social (appears to only be taking a single suite, so 1 more space on Magnolia is available); and 134/136 Magnolia has "SOLD" signs on it (don't know who bought it yet).

PXL_20220320_210238467.thumb.jpg.6001d97e26bfb63b825eec586f3d42d6.jpg

PXL_20220320_210252877.thumb.jpg.8f9414cc785730b4b978c0d380a379cf.jpg      PXL_20220320_210308727.thumb.jpg.7f9d0d84526a463dcf64f6ca6375064f.jpg

Also saw a notice in the paper this morning about a Southern Bank branch planning to open at 468 East Main Street (former Wild Birds Unlimited).  Not the most exciting tenant for that space, but I suppose it's better than a vacant building.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, LA5108 said:

Welcome to the forum! We've actually been discussing this project in the Renaissance Park Projects thread.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, westsider28 said:

A few random updates:

Lots of action on Magnolia Street: the hair salon I mentioned at 142 Social is called Mane & Magnolia (clever); sign is up for CCNB at 142 Social (appears to only be taking a single suite, so 1 more space on Magnolia is available); and 134/136 Magnolia has "SOLD" signs on it (don't know who bought it yet).

More Magnolia Street leasing news: Suite C in 142 Social has been leased to Lean Kitchen, which appears to sell ready-to-eat, pre-prepared healthy meals. So not really a restaurant, but they do sell food.

And I noticed that the basement space at 122 Magnolia (beneath Longbranch Development and next to Nacho Taco) has a "Leased" sign on it. Don't know who the tenant is.

• 2 weeks later...

The former Wendy's parcel at the corner of Pine and Henry Streets was sold on Feb. 3 to Newburg Investments LLC, which is headed by Raj Patel (an owner of Cribbs, The Kennedy, and Main Street Pub).  It will be interesting to see what he does with the property.  Clearly restaurant use is likely.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, camtology said:

For those that are interested in these new mixed use developments on east main street, I think you'd like to check out the developer's website, they have a bunch of cool completed or planned projects in the upstate on their website
https://www.mpetersgroup.com/

Thanks for sharing the link to their website. I like their creativity and visions. Glad to see them reaching across the entire upstate with their work! 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

The former Wendy's parcel at the corner of Pine and Henry Streets was sold on Feb. 3 to Newburg Investments LLC, which is headed by Raj Patel (an owner of Cribbs, The Kennedy, and Main Street Pub).  It will be interesting to see what he does with the property.  Clearly restaurant use is likely.

It will likely be Keg and Cellar for the  East side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I honestly hope that they don’t just reuse the old Wendy’s building as is, in Florence we had a Bojangles close and a local restaurant group take over with a burger shop, there was no where enough seating inside to justify the amount of parking. Could’ve been just a problem with that business but I’d love to see a much more creative if not just bigger building/restaurant take that lot

On 4/30/2022 at 2:55 PM, camtology said:

I honestly hope that they don’t just reuse the old Wendy’s building as is, in Florence we had a Bojangles close and a local restaurant group take over with a burger shop, there was no where enough seating inside to justify the amount of parking. Could’ve been just a problem with that business but I’d love to see a much more creative if not just bigger building/restaurant take that lot

Agreed that it would be nice if they tear it down, but I also agree it doesn't seem likely. Hopefully they'll at least renovate it so it doesn't look like a Wendy's.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, westsider28 said:

A few random updates:

PXL_20220320_210238467.thumb.jpg.6001d97e26bfb63b825eec586f3d42d6.jpg

PXL_20220320_210252877.thumb.jpg.8f9414cc785730b4b978c0d380a379cf.jpg      PXL_20220320_210308727.thumb.jpg.7f9d0d84526a463dcf64f6ca6375064f.jpg

Also saw a notice in the paper this morning about a Southern Bank branch planning to open at 468 East Main Street (former Wild Birds Unlimited).  Not the most exciting tenant for that space, but I suppose it's better than a vacant building.

I found that 134/136 Magnolia was purchased by 136 Magnolia Street LLC, which is owned by Bill Barnet.  He never develops anything himself, instead looking for quality developers to sell to (234 N Church for example).  So hopefully he finds a good developer quickly.  The momentum on Magnolia is definitely picking up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, camtology said:

For those that are interested in these new mixed use developments on east main street, I think you'd like to check out the developer's website, they have a bunch of cool completed or planned projects in the upstate on their website
https://www.mpetersgroup.com/
Spartanburg development: East Main project designs could be approved

Ran across this update on this project; looks pretty cool.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/m-peters-groups-e-main-project-in-spartanburg-seeks-to-continue-downtowns-transformation/

M-Peters-Group-East-Main-project-scaled-

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Just saw that they've torn down the old laundry/dry cleaner on West Main next door to the former Church's Chicken. Anyone have any idea what's gong on?

TIA. 

Wow, that's a bummer.  That was one of the last "historic" buildings on that corridor.  I see it's owned by the Kapasi family, who has been amassing a property empire in the area over the last several years.  I doubt they develop any of it.  They're likely looking to flip the properties for a tidy profit in the coming years.

kapasi.jpg.5bb8ada0e97ebb67bf80a59071177bea.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The City has also gotten more pro-active about properties that had been allowed before to just wear down and become vacant. Perhaps it was more cost effective for them to tear down than to do the needed work. I don't know of anything planned for that property either though.

Edited by Santi

1 hour ago, Santi said:

The City has also gotten more pro-active about properties that have been allowed to wear down. Perhaps it was more cost effective for them to tear down than to do the needed work. I don't know of anything planned for that property either though.

Other than maybe the car dealership the area along the west main street renovations really could easily  be remade into a dense walkable strip with mixed use buildings to continue the downtown area, it does kind of suck right now that there is such a clear cut off to where downtown is past main street pub

• 3 weeks later...