Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 3 weeks later...

The final retail space in 142 Social has been leased (and the business looks pretty close to opening).  Bare Beauty Institute has taken the Spring Street space.  It appears to be a training school for cosmetology (facial treatments, body waxing, lash services, brow shaping, makeup application, and business development).  Mane & Magnolia (hair extension salon) is open on Magnolia Street, and upfit continues for CCNB and  Lean Kitchen.

PXL_20220724_150227042.thumb.jpg.396de54d8f252f4e8e6528344b3f2395.jpg

Edited by westsider28

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure where to put this, but Roger Newton has been named the new CEO of the Memorial Auditorium.  He has an impressive resume: General Manager of Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY, General Manager of the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, EVP/GM of the FTX Arena in Miami, General Manager of the Fargodome in Fargo, ND, President/General Manager of the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, SC, and President/General Manager of the CCNB Amphitheater in Simpsonville, SC.  Hopefully he'll be able to bring more/better acts/shows to the Auditorium.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Not sure where to put this, but Roger Newton has been named the new CEO of the Memorial Auditorium.  He has an impressive resume: General Manager of Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY, General Manager of the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, EVP/GM of the FTX Arena in Miami, General Manager of the Fargodome in Fargo, ND, President/General Manager of the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, SC, and President/General Manager of the CCNB Amphitheater in Simpsonville, SC.  Hopefully he'll be able to bring more/better acts/shows to the Auditorium.

NY-Ottawa-Miami-Fargo-Greenville-Spartanburg.

His next stop gonna be running the meeting room in the Sombrero at South of the Border?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't both these potential projects be in The Grain District thread? (continued legitimacy of that moniker notwithstanding)

I posted a conceptual massing of a planned West Main project on that thread, and there was a P&C story back in March about 250-300 apartments in that area.

Not sure about a conference hall, since those are generally bad when it comes to street presence, though being able to host larger events in the heart of downtown would be nice.  But please, dear god, no more surface parking...

14 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Shouldn't both these potential projects be in The Grain District thread? (continued legitimacy of that moniker notwithstanding)

I posted a conceptual massing of a planned West Main project on that thread, and there was a P&C story back in March about 250-300 apartments in that area.

Not sure about a conference hall, since those are generally bad when it comes to street presence, though being able to host larger events in the heart of downtown would be nice.  But please, dear god, no more surface parking...

It would also be a waste of space to plan extra parking for the AC hotel especially when there is already plans for a new parking garage to replace the parking lot across the street from the city government administration building which is easily in walking distance of the hotel

• Like 1

This is arguably NOT downtown, but since it touches the edge I'm going to put it here.

The City seems to have identified a West Main Street Corridor Plan via a Clemson University study. There are no citations or credits in this report, so other that a reference in the HJ and the link title, I can't find any information out about this. Does anyone know if this is more than just a study? I assume it's connected to the OneSpartanburg Vision Plan 2.0 gateway?

https://www.cityofspartanburg.org/cms_assets/neighborhood_services/Clemson Study - West Main Corridor Plan.pdf

41 minutes ago, Spartan said:

This is arguably NOT downtown, but since it touches the edge I'm going to put it here.

The City seems to have identified a West Main Street Corridor Plan via a Clemson University study. There are no citations or credits in this report, so other that a reference in the HJ and the link title, I can't find any information out about this. Does anyone know if this is more than just a study? I assume it's connected to the OneSpartanburg Vision Plan 2.0 gateway?

https://www.cityofspartanburg.org/cms_assets/neighborhood_services/Clemson Study - West Main Corridor Plan.pdf

It's relatively old: 2017 or 2018?  I found it a few years ago.  I think it's just your typical study, more of a thought exercise than an action plan.

I posted all the information I could find on this topic some months back here - https://www.facebook.com/GoSpartanburg/posts/pfbid029KJeVHvBjyva2iLDATx1L8m7D4YKHqnEazLYwB15Jb74Q1N33VfrWnxLgnaWYiu5l

18 hours ago, Spartan said:

• Like 1

Miscellaneous business update:  El Paso Tacos & Tequila has opened at 151 South DMA (former Farmer's Table); Limitless Sneaker Shop is coming to the basement of 122 Magnolia (under Longbranch Development office); Konnichiwa was applying logo decals on their windows at 198 West Main, so they should be opening soon; and Love Me Some Lace bridal shop has opened at Library Commons (155 Broad, Suite 3).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not much on the agenda for the first City Council meeting of the year.  There is an executive session item for "Project Core", a potential mixed-use development in the downtown area.  This project was also discussed in executive session back in April 2021.  It could be the M Peters 3-tower proposal on E Main?  Hopefully we'll hear something public in the next few months.

No DRB meeting this month (or December).  A bit of a lull in development news here.  Hope things pick up soon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Santi said:

Project CORE? Maybe it has to do with the new City / County building? Seems like a pretty central project to me!

Nah, it's an "Economic Development" item, which means a private development that they're discussing incentives with.  That's the only thing they use code names for.

I believe they were discussing the City/County building in Executive Session on 10/24 (primarily item C).

Edited by westsider28

2 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

Nah, it's an "Economic Development" item, which means a private development that they're discussing incentives with. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

I have a dream that with Morgan Square becoming a true Square, OneMorgan will be developed into a restaurant plaza, at least the first floor, or something intimately connected to the square that is publicly available. 

Of course it'd have to make financial sense, and enough for whatever operations are there now to find a new home, but, like I said, 'tis a dream!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Santi said:

I have a dream that with Morgan Square becoming a true Square, OneMorgan will be developed into a restaurant plaza, at least the first floor, or something intimately connected to the square that is publicly available. 

Of course it'd have to make financial sense, and enough for whatever operations are there now to find a new home, but, like I said, 'tis a dream!

I am hugely in favor of ground-floor retail on 1MS.  I think having retail/restaurant on both sides of the Square is key to activating it properly.

Back to "Project Core", I'm guessing it's the 3-tower project because the last discussion (April '22) was the same month that project received conceptual approval from the DRB.

Here are all the code-named projects that have been discussed in the past year:

"Project Eagle's Nest" is the LIBERTY office building behind The George (which, to be fair, I didn't predict correctly). 

"Project Boxcar" is the proposed Lat Purser apartment development along the Rail Trail near Forest Ave. 

"Project Cornerstone" has also been discussed (no clue on that one)

"Project Edge" (possibly a West Main project or Spartan Grain, being on the "edge" of downtown). 

There's also a "Project Shell" office relocation that's been discussed (11/14/22).  

“Project Southeast” a Potential Mixed-Use Development on the West Side of the City. 

“Project Champion” a Potential Adaptive Reuse of Existing Structure for a Specialty Light Manufacturing Operation. 

And February 14 had an "Executive Session to discuss matters relating to the proposed location, expansion, or the provision of services encouraging location or expansion of industries or other businesses in Spartanburg relating to recreational opportunities for residents and visitors" (baseball stadium?)

It is a guess in the end, though educated.  Fun to speculate.  There seems to be a decent amount of stuff in the pipeline.  They may not all come to fruition, but I hope most of them do.

Edited by westsider28

"There's also a "Project Shell" office relocation that's been discussed (11/14/22)."

See?! They are relocating the offices at OneMorgan as we speak! :P

Kidding aside, when MKSK came to Spartanburg, I stayed around at the end and mentioned the idea of incorporating 1M into the design along the lines described. Even left a stickie about it on their idea board! They liked the idea, perhaps only to amuse me, but they DID mention that they are hoping to incorporate the building into the dynamic of the square. Here's to hoping they didn't just mean aesthetically! In my opinion, it would even be MORE awkward to have it integrated structurally but not functionally. If I see should happen to run into good ol' George, I'll make sure to pitch him the idea. 😁 

At last week's Outlook, I saw how massive the impact of sports has on tourism in Spartanburg county - one of the driving factors, in fact! Hence, still hoping for a baseball stadium, or a multi court complex, by the AC Hotel. 

Talking to a tenant whose place of business is very much near the Grain District, he mentioned having received soft confirmation that the site will be used for a baseball stadium. Take that, of course, with a HUGE grain of salt. YET! It's kind of in keeping with the unofficial rumblings I continue to pick up on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Not that this will be news to anyone here, but here is a summary of some of downtown’s upcoming project. 

I DID receive soft confirmation that all of the projects are still a go, and some may end up being even bigger than what has already been revealed.  

Its shaping to be a very exciting year for us. 3-5 years from now, will we even recognize our downtown? All movements in the right direction, in my opinion.

onward!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1