Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

May 2 DRB meeting has been cancelled.  It will be over 6 months since the last DRB meeting.  At this rate, it's unlikely we'll see any not-yet-fully-approved projects begin this summer (i.e. East Main towers, planetarium, Liberty office building).

are they waiting on the approval of the new comprehensive plan?

54 minutes ago, camtology said:

are they waiting on the approval of the new comprehensive plan?

Doubtful.  It likely just means that the developers aren't yet ready to move forward with their projects.  The delays are frustrating, though.  I hope we don't lose some of these projects to economic headwinds.  I'm most concerned about the East Main towers because of how large and complex that project is, and because of how many other projects the developer has on their plate.

The planetarium is supposed to be fully funded, so I'm not sure what the delay on that is.  And the office building is waiting for more tenants before starting, which could be challenging.  We seem to have trouble attracting office users in Spartanburg.  We've had 2 other office building proposals stall out over the last several years.

40 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

Doubtful.  It likely just means that the developers aren't yet ready to move forward with their projects.  The delays are frustrating, though.  I hope we don't lose some of these projects to economic headwinds.  I'm most concerned about the East Main towers because of how large and complex that project is, and because of how many other projects the developer has on their plate.

The planetarium is supposed to be fully funded, so I'm not sure what the delay on that is.  And the office building is waiting for more tenants before starting, which could be challenging.  We seem to have trouble attracting office users in Spartanburg.  We've had 2 other office building proposals stall out over the last several years.

I'm afraid Spartanburg and other cities are at the mercy of capital markets, high interest rates, and rising vacancy rates nationwide.  Developers seem to be in a holding pattern right now.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

I'm afraid Spartanburg and other cities are at the mercy of capital markets, high interest rates, and rising vacancy rates nationwide.  Developers seem to be in a holding pattern right now.  

it just feels to me that a lot of developers are almost bullying any city that doesn't let them build the cheapest possible apartments for the richest residents and are going to leave just because they might have to offer some affordable apartments, I just wish the cities had more control over enforcing developers to build the projects they promised when interest rates were lower

Another interesting Executive Session item on the agenda for Monday's City Council meeting: "Project Wrap" a mixed-use downtown development.  If I had to guess, I'd say perhaps a project wrapping a parking deck?  Maybe the affordable project planned at Converse and Kennedy at the Kennedy Deck?  Or something else entirely, IDK.

This adds to the half-dozen (at least) code-named projects in the pipeline that we don't know any details about.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Another interesting Executive Session item on the agenda for Monday's City Council meeting: "Project Wrap" a mixed-use downtown development.  If I had to guess, I'd say perhaps a project wrapping a parking deck?  Maybe the affordable project planned at Converse and Kennedy at the Kennedy Deck?  Or something else entirely, IDK.

This adds to the half-dozen (at least) code-named projects in the pipeline that we don't know any details about.

I was looking around downtown earlier today and realized how present parking garages really are, the city needs to start considering hiding these garages by attaching them on all or most sides by stores and/or apartments

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 10:41 AM, westsider28 said:

All of these dang planned hidden projects on the city council agendas but no DRB agendas for them. Weird. 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:04 PM, gman430 said:

All of these dang planned hidden projects on the city council agendas but no DRB agendas for them. Weird. 

Not weird at all. These projects are still being discussed in executive session because the city and the developer are trying to hammer out a development agreement. Until that is done, there is nothing to take to the DRB to look at.

Should we make a separate historic preservation thread?  Anyway, the HARB will consider adding 3 buildings to the local historic register at their May 11 meeting: the Kress Building, the Masonic Temple, and the Alexander House (Inn on Main).  Interestingly, the applicant in all 3 cases is listed as the HARB itself, so this may be the first effort to list buildings without the process being led by the owners.  If so, it's good to see the HARB more aggressively pursue historic protections.

18 hours ago, mainonmain said:

Not weird at all. These projects are still being discussed in executive session because the city and the developer are trying to hammer out a development agreement. Until that is done, there is nothing to take to the DRB to look at.

It doesn’t matter. They’ll probably stall out anyways just like the Fairfield Inn downtown. 

Does anyone know (or heard whispers or good intel) on where we are concerning a downtown minor league stadium? I have heard from several small business owners down near grain district that they think it is a go but can't verify. Have we been talking to other minor league teams abaout moving? I am also talking about legit baseball here, not the Savannah Banana crap.

• Like 1

-I have heard rumors of a minor league quality stadium and a convention center on the old grain site. Either or, not both. 

Nothing concrete but lots of confidential chatter. 

-There has been a survey crew on that site for at least a week. Pretty soon after all the clearing has been done as a sign 

that things could move along pretty quickly now. 

-Also, the old mill site at the gully across from Wakefield has been fenced off this week.  This site backs up to the grain site

on the other side of the RR tracks. 

Edited by spartanburgh

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, gman430 said:

Spartanburg Downtown Development Infrastructure: $10 million. Sponsors: Sens. Scott Talley, R-Spartanburg; and Peeler.

I'm hearing even more comments from people that I think are in a position to know that this combined three year earmark is for a baseball stadium and mixed use project on the superblock... I just hope that it gets to the position of going public sooner rather than later...  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 8:20 PM, Historyguy said:

I'm hearing even more comments from people that I think are in a position to know that this combined three year earmark is for a baseball stadium and mixed use project on the superblock... I just hope that it gets to the position of going public sooner rather than later...  

I hope this is for the baseball stadium, I drove by the area it’s speculated to go in and I can’t think of a more perfect spot nor a more perfect way to start expanding downtown beyond where it currently is

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:13 PM, westsider28 said:

Should we make a separate historic preservation thread?  Anyway, the HARB will consider adding 3 buildings to the local historic register at their May 11 meeting: the Kress Building, the Masonic Temple, and the Alexander House (Inn on Main).  Interestingly, the applicant in all 3 cases is listed as the HARB itself, so this may be the first effort to list buildings without the process being led by the owners.  If so, it's good to see the HARB more aggressively pursue historic protections.

The Kress Building and Masonic Temple will go before City Council at Monday's meeting (6/12) for potential listing on the Local Historic Register (Alexander House was removed at the request of the owners due to it being a residence).  I encourage you to contact your Councilperson (or speak at the meeting) to express your support for listing/protecting these two buildings.

Also, Monday's meeting has an executive session item for "Project Bo" a potential office development in the downtown area.  Not sure if this is one we know of, or if it's a new project.  Any guesses as to what it might be?

Edited by westsider28

• 2 weeks later...

Fidelity Bank has purchased the former First Citizens branch at the north corner of North Church and East DMA (across from the Marriott).  They plan to demolish the existing building and build a 2-story regional branch building (with drive-thru ATM, which I think should be banned in downtown).  The article claims they plan to start construction in 3-4 months (which I find unlikely, since they still need to get approval from the DRB).  Should be decent infill, though.

Edited by westsider28

157 East Saint John (former Bible Study Time building) is under-contract with a buyer (it was for-sale for almost $2M).  There's an item in Monday's City Council agenda about a new lease agreement (with the new bldg owners) for the adjacent City-owned parking lot.  So the building will be reused, which is a bit of a bummer.  I hope they're planning extensive renovations, because that's a really blank, ugly building currently.

There are also two executive session items on Monday's agenda: "Project Core," a potential mixed-use development in the downtown area (this has been on the agenda many times); and "Project New Vision,” a potential mixed-income residential development near the downtown area (this one is new).

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 7:57 PM, westsider28 said:

Fidelity Bank has purchased the former First Citizens branch at the north corner of North Church and East DMA (across from the Marriott).  They plan to demolish the existing building and build a 2-story regional branch building (with drive-thru ATM, which I think should be banned in downtown).  The article claims they plan to start construction in 3-4 months (which I find unlikely, since they still need to get approval from the DRB).  Should be decent infill, though.

I hope the DRB could possibly make the drive through have to be striked out from the plan, the new comprehensive plan suggests that Spartanburg has an interest in working on expanding the downtown development into the area near the railroad station and towards Wofford and a new development that still is primarily car-centered could make it difficult in the future to make those roads more walkable

7 hours ago, camtology said:

I hope the DRB could possibly make the drive through have to be striked out from the plan, the new comprehensive plan suggests that Spartanburg has an interest in working on expanding the downtown development into the area near the railroad station and towards Wofford and a new development that still is primarily car-centered could make it difficult in the future to make those roads more walkable

I just looked up the drive-thru regulations in the Urban Code and here's the info:

Drive-thru Retail/Restaurant/Service Uses
a. In the D-T5 or D-T6 district, a restaurant or business with drive-thru service may not be closer than 500 feet from another business with drive-thru service.
b. An application for a business with a drive-thru service must submit a site plan showing, the following, but not limited to: the parking and circulation plan, curb cuts, the location of any audible equipment, landscaping, pole lights, signs and trash enclosures.
c. Drive-thru service canopies must be pitched at an angle and use materials matching the roof of the primary building.
d. Drive-thru facilities should be located at the rear of the primary building, but if that is not feasible, may be located at the side.
e. Access to the drive-thru service should be from mid-block or the rear to avoid disrupting pedestrian traffic. If a driveway is necessary it must be no more than 10 feet wide and conform to SCDOT 2008 Access and Roadside Management Standards, or as amended.
f. No drive thru window or its associated signage (other than directional) is permitted within the first or second layer (see Table 2d).

This parcel is D-T5.  It seems they would be disqualified from having a drive-thru, due to there being one at Domino's (~150ft) and Krispy Kreme (~400ft).  They could ask for an exception, which I'm sure they will.  Once we know when they're going before the DRB, we need to have folks attend and speak out against drive-thrus in downtown.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting item in Monday's City Council agenda: the US Government desires to transfer ownership of the former post office site at the corner of Church and St John to the City, in exchange for the City performing maintenance on the United States Courthouse.  This is a key corner parcel, so it will be good to have it in the City's hands so that it's available for potential future development.

2072078841_posite.thumb.jpg.5582262d9e6d6b0bbae7d3c1a6b93e83.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Confused 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:52 PM, westsider28 said:

Interesting item in Monday's City Council agenda: the US Government desires to transfer ownership of the former post office site at the corner of Church and St John to the City, in exchange for the City performing maintenance on the United States Courthouse.  This is a key corner parcel, so it will be good to have it in the City's hands so that it's available for potential future development.

2072078841_posite.thumb.jpg.5582262d9e6d6b0bbae7d3c1a6b93e83.jpg

City council voted unanimously in approval. They are valuing it at $500K. Interesting data point.

• Thanks 2

I hope they market the site immediately for development and not have another backdoor plan with "someone" to have an 

exclusive right with no opportunity for others.  This intersection has always been my vision for each corner to be developed

into the premier intersection of Spartanburg. I would love to see each corner with a 10 ish story building. 

• Like 1