Newport/East Bay subforum?

Cotuit

Newport/East Bay Subforum  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Newport/East Bay Subforum be created?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/Don't Care
  2. 2. Should it be just Newport or Newport/East Bay

• Just 'Newport'
    • Both, 'Newport/East Bay'
    • It should be something else, please specify

There's a nice little gaggle of East Bay/Newport people here now. How do people feel about creating a Newport/East Bay subforum like the Pawtucket and Providence ones? Should it just be Newport, or Newport and East Bay, or what? There's a lot going on in Newport and I'd like to see more threads devoted to Newport developments. Do people want one, or would it just be annoyign to have another subforum.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love a Newport/East Bay subforum. There may not be any One Tens or Gtechs, but there are quite a few developments down this way that could be discussed, and it seems that the Newport Redevelopment thread has become sort of a catch-all for these. That could get a little hairy if some of the grandiose revitalization plans for the North End and downtown ever come to fruition.

I definitely think that the East Bay, or at least Aquidneck Island, should be included as well. These areas are psychologically very closely connected with Newport, and developments like Carnegie Abbey in Portsmouth, for example, are certainly relevent to and frequently discussed by people in Newport.

While I can't say we're overloaded with threads/content from that area, it won't hurt the forum to have a separate area. Personally I think the Pawtucket subforum is rather unneccessary myself. There's only been one active thread in there for quite some time.

this is offtopic kind of, but I know we have been havign a lot of new thrads and stuff, and a lot of offtopic stuff, should we make some sort of "coffee house" that doesn't need to be as neat? Also, instead of just Eastbay maybe make a West Bay/South County/North County/East Bay subforum?

I'd love to have a Newport/East Bay subforum. I pay attention to postings from this area almost exclusively, so the big thing for me is the RSS feed. I don't come on UP every day but I would check a NPT/East Bay feed in my reader daily.

Granted, Newport itself may not be enough to warrant a subforum, but when combined with the rest of the East Bay there is plenty of material to go after.

GO FOR IT!

i think a new subforum would be a great idea. i had been wondering for a while "why isn't there a newport forum?" i think it should be called newport/east bay and then list the towns that are included. and definitely leave east providence out because it's more pawtucket/providence than east bay.

as for off-topic postings, most of them end up going in the off topic sub forum we have. they're usually questions or comments that get another 3-5 posts in relation to them and then they fade away until the next comment. the rest of the state is served just fine by the main forum and the way things are now. and cotuit is good at moving posts to wrong threads or new threads to the other threads they belong to when necessary.

OK, we're going to make a Newport/East Bay subforum, I just have to give monsoon a chance to create it. I'm going to collapse the "Business and Technology" subforum, as it doesn't get much traffic, the general RI and Providence subforums will get those threads.

I'm thinking of moving the "Projects and Construction" subforum to under Providence and having that just be for Providence projects, all other projects would be listed in their repective subforums or the main Rhode Island forum.

OK, we're going to make a Newport/East Bay subforum, I just have to give monsoon a chance to create it. I'm going to collapse the "Business and Technology" subforum, as it doesn't get much traffic, the general RI and Providence subforums will get those threads.

I'm thinking of moving the "Projects and Construction" subforum to under Providence and having that just be for Providence projects, all other projects would be listed in their repective subforums or the main Rhode Island forum.

topics get bumped as there's something to post. general netiquette on forums is that you search the forum for a topic before you post something about it to see if there's already a thread on it or if the question was already answered recently. there will always be certain topics that are more active than others and there will always be "pinned" topics that will always remain at the top of the threads (like the lil rhody lounge) and others that will be pinned and unpinned.

to be honest, i'm not sure pawtucket needs its own forum. i think a providence and vicinity forum that includes pawtucket, central falls, east prov, north prov, and cranston might be good, or keep providence its own and make a separate one for all the others that i just mentioned and maybe include warwick and possibly johnston (since it borders providence) in there. and the rest of the state can just go in the main RI forum.

I don't really want to collapse Pawtucket, there's still a lot to talk about there, we just need more bucket people to talk. How about "Pawtucket and Blackstone Valley" to go with "Newport and East Bay?"

Archived