Gerald R. Ford Burial Services in Grand Rapids

Veloise

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sent email to both Stelma and Dolan today to let them know about Westboro Baptist's plans. I also sent one to Jim Harger at the Press, who was previously unaware. He said he talked to their spokesperson and called her the "most hate-filled woman" he'd ever spoken to.

City Streets employee said 35-car motorcade, Bush 41 and Jimmy Carter among them (taking notes for their own planning, no doubt!). All the utility access covers will be welded shut (so if any are open, it will be clear that something's amiss). I also heard that all container-like street furniture (mailboxes, trash barrels) will be temporarily removed.

Do terrorists read threads like this?

Today there was a speedboat on the river, speeding along, No fishing gear in sight.

Don't know if this appeared earlier, but he's supposed to land at GRR @ 2:15 pm on tuesday.

I'm hoping to be able to sneak out to get to the airport viewing area!

I don't think secret service closes it down, i believe it was open when bush was at calvin 2 years ago.

^The skiers with the red glow sticks(?) now that is one heck of a gesture.

Sometime down the road I'd like to see a remembrance with a sculpture of the President. I think a spot on the Gillet Bridge just before stepping into Ah-Nab-Awen would make for a nice entrance into the park and his Museum.

OK. This dates me.

When I was a kid, there used to be penny gumball machines. The gum was "chiclet-shaped" and said FORD on each one.

I asked an adult why that was, and was micheivously told: "They're named after the president." So I of course thought the gum should change to CARTER a few years later. :lol:

I also remember the mock election we had in grade school home room, and Carter "won".

For what it's worth, Ford is the only president I ever saw in person. He came to speak when the "Liberty Train" (google that if you don't know what I'm talking about) was visiting Greensboro.

Archived