Gerald R. Ford Burial Services in Grand Rapids

Veloise

"event than that over the top monkey circus spectacle the GOP threw for Ronald Reagan in 2004. They turned that funeral into a political event which was pretty disgusting in my book."

Metro.m,

The GOP didnt throw a "monkey circus" for Reagan. Presidents choose the types of funerals they wish to have. Ike, Jhonson, Truman, Nixion as the current living presidents have as well.

I guess you may think that all those people that stood in lines for hours to see Reagan out of respect or all the his friends and family that came to the funeral at the national cathedral was a "monkey circus" or a "political event", but it was moving for the vast majority of us. For Christ's sake he was president of the entire U.S.! There isn't some grand political conspiracy in these things.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a weird question here after looking at the "tombstone". Will he be buried in the ground like at a cemetery or is there some sort of underground masoleum behind the concrete or what because it appears as if the trees come right up to the concrete behind the names...odd question I know but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have a weird question here after looking at the "tombstone". Will he be buried in the ground like at a cemetery or is there some sort of underground masoleum behind the concrete or what because it appears as if the trees come right up to the concrete behind the names...odd question I know but I can't find an answer anywhere.

..more than 500 media slot requests have come in

more than for the services in California and Washington."We do not have 500 slots (available for journalists)," Chapp said, "so the hard part is having to turn the media away."

This could get interesting. Anyone want to venture a guess as to how many people will converge on downtown?

Now that the President will finally be here tomorrow, am I correct in believing the public viewing will start around 4 or 5 pm Tuesday, and go through the night to around 1 pm Wed? Or has this changed in the last few days?

I did read that no cameras, camera phones, camcorders are allowed, and the women (and men) are highly discourged not to bring purses. I'm a little surprised at no cameras, but its understandable I guess.

Just got back from the Museum. I went down there just to see what was happening today, and I was fortunate enough to watch the entire funeral rehearsal up close. I saw a lot of other cameras, so I'm hoping other UP'rs were down there taking shots. I took a few dozen shots, but don't yet know how to post them on here.

I thought it was cool that the lead soldier driver in the motorcade was also taking pictures with his own camera when the flag drapped casket was being placed in the hearse.

Hmmm. This will make getting to and from work on Tuesday and Wednesday rather problematic as I go up Michigan to College and catch the expressway there.

If I leave at 6:30 a.m., think I'll be ok? Getting back will probably be a challenge.

I remember Gerald Ford from when he was a Congressman for the EGR district.

Little blurb in the Press about those billboards. My wife and I saw it coming back last night too, I'd like to get a small copy for my classroom.

I just read that 21 Fighter Jets will fly by the funeral here. Do we know if this is for Tuesday (around 4?) or for the service on Wed?

Archived