Gerald R. Ford Burial Services in Grand Rapids

Veloise

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode through tonight about 7:30 pm. There's a smallish crowd of people coming and going, taking pics at the crypt site. And a security guard standing on the path watching.

Although the museum stated that the artifacts would be collected regularly, nothing has been picked up yet. (Bet everyone took those last few holidays of vacation from last week.) Small group of US flags on Bridge (and someone added a Christmas wreath). The pile on Pearl just keeps growing; the Eagle Scout sign, "Big House" sign, everything else is still there. And a guy with a long match was carefully coaxing some of the votives to light.

The US flags lining the driveway are still in place (guess someone forgot about that "darkness illumination" part of the flag code...run go get some solar floodlights!). I did not remember lighting around the new labor monument; it's functional, looks very nice. And the place looks all picked up and back to somewhat normal, after all the crowds and media left.

The gates are open, and there is signage indicating ENTER (stay on sidewalk) and EXIT. A velevet rope and a couple security guys prevent anyone from getting too close to the wall, but you can get as close as the Fords did as televised Weds afternoon.

Several hundred people lingering on the grounds, checking out the artifacts...even sitting on the riverbank. A few held museum store-logoed shopping bags.

fordent.jpg

fordexit.jpg

ford-sat.jpg

OK. This dates me.

I also remember the mock election we had in grade school home room, and Carter "won".

For what it's worth, Ford is the only president I ever saw in person. He came to speak when the "Liberty Train" (google that if you don't know what I'm talking about) was visiting Greensboro.

I was not able to get downtown on the day of the funeral, but was fortunate enough to be in the "right place at the right time" to see the planes fly directly overhead . . .US 131 & 68th Street had folks lined up on the overpass & all along the strip mall . . . .happened to be there doing an errand & watched the planes fly in. Very impressive & surreal. Glad to see that GR residents showed dignity, respect & patriotism!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived