Gerald R. Ford Burial Services in Grand Rapids

Veloise

Just got back from GR and I felt the obvious sense of urgency. With what is going on I'm sure the ball isn't going to get droped.

It would be disrespectful to not clean house, protect and extend our image no matter how opportunistic it feels. I think the cranes should all in a spirit of solidarity fly the flag and banners that read: "Strength in Activity."

Be prepared for the backhanded comments on our city... just watched fox and nbc news.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to rain on our parade, but I just heard that the Westboro Baptist Church will be protesting the funeral. These are the same guys who protest soldiers' funerals with "Thank God for IEDS" or "God Hates F*GS" signs.

http://www.godfateshags.com/fliers/Picket_Information.html Grand Rapids listed at the bottom.

Doesn't EGR have a No Picketing ordinance? I seem to remember that being the case when people protested Dick Cheney's visit at Secchia's home in EGR.

I attributed Chris Wallace's (Fox News) comments on where he came from in Michigan as a backhanded compliment. Commonsense and integrity are great qualities, however there was a link made to the small area as this being why he had these qualities. Although, I would like to think of Ford as an embodiment of our local philosophies of commonsense it's not attributed to the size or area of our city. There's more to it than just that. I fail to recognize our city as a small area and insinuating unimportance or lack of sophistication. Any of you who like correctness will notice the same thing. We all would like to think of our city as a place on the move and constantly changing, but watch/listen closely and America will be told a different story. Of course that's my opinion.

This event will be a great opportunity to view how others view us. Observer how we are perceived in the media and country in general. Maybe this will be a great learning experience?

Then again, it was Fox news. My point wasn't to make them highlight what's going on here or to take notice of us. They are going to talk about the city in any light I guess some see that as a positive. The city is only going to be a natural talking point, especially because they link values with place. I guess any talk is good.

On our level, this might as well be the super bowl, not many cities can say "The President is going to be buried here."

Someone tell me where the damaged seawall is. I rode down around there today and did not see anything that looks embarrassingly in need of repair. And I was looking for it...doubt that the cold glare of TV cameras will be able to find it.

No camera today, but the burial site is ready to go. (You can find it on Google maps. Semi-circular sidewalk, a roundish concrete plaza, and a retaining wall just Bridge-Streetish of the building.) The Ford's names have been carved onto the wall (security guard said yesterday), with his two dates and her one. The grassy knoll facing it has had some ground disturbance. It's very near the river, but I wouldn't call it "overlooking" or a "hillside."

Someone tell me where the damaged seawall is. I rode down around there today and did not see anything that looks embarrassingly in need of repair. And I was looking for it...doubt that the cold glare of TV cameras will be able to find it.

No camera today, but the burial site is ready to go. (You can find it on Google maps. Semi-circular sidewalk, a roundish concrete plaza, and a retaining wall just Bridge-Streetish of the building.) The Ford's names have been carved onto the wall (security guard said yesterday), with his two dates and her one. The grassy knoll facing it has had some ground disturbance. It's very near the river, but I wouldn't call it "overlooking" or a "hillside."

I don't see those comments about GR as a backhanded comment. Look at Pittsburgh, PA -- a larger city than GR -- which was blasted and bashed by Sienna Miller as a boring hick town (which she called Sh*ttsburgh).

Regardeing those "God Hates F*gs" people.......... someone might have to hold me back if I see their ugly faces anywhere on the street.

Archived