Gerald R. Ford Burial Services in Grand Rapids

Veloise

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent shots GRdad! And I love the Sparky's shot of the plane!

I was on the Fuller overpass with a PERFECT view, just over the road, with about 200 others. Looking behind me, I could see all the other overpasses just as full, if not more. Looking down I had a great view of all the family members looking up and waving as they came to the first overpass into Grand Rapids (if you don't count the Beltline).

Tonight I view the casket.

Excellent shots GRdad! And I love the Sparky's shot of the plane!

I was on the Fuller overpass with a PERFECT view, just over the road, with about 200 others. Looking behind me, I could see all the other overpasses just as full, if not more. Looking down I had a great view of all the family members looking up and waving as they came to the first overpass into Grand Rapids (if you don't count the Beltline).

Tonight I view the casket.

If you (anyone) is at home reading this, you might want to wait a few hours.

I came DT at about 8 pm to pick up my mail. It looks like the Celebration fireworks crowd out there, 'cept it's cold. To get into DVP the line goes all the way to Michigan/Bridge, west all the way across the bridge, and then makes a U-turn to go back to Michigan/Monroe. Same deal on the Pearl side of things, with added confusion from the media trucks.

The police are doing an admirable job of keeping things relatively orderly, but no one has done this before. (I told one, "if Harry's gig doesn;t work out for you, you could try Cedar Point.")

It's hard to tell where the end of the line is or where to go. Add to that the multiple access points and you have...a big mess. At least it's not too cold out.

The DASH lot near the DT Y does not look terribly parked up, or you could go to the bar district on Bridge to leave the four-wheeler.

I'm going to pedal home and exchange the laptop for my fiddle; see if I can make some folks happy. (Yes, when I decide to pack up and leave! Hah!)

My pics from 28th Street. (Don't know if I've ever mentioned this before on this forum...I much prefer Jeff's backgrounds and setting!)

Work colleagues with my flags and sign

gloria-holli.jpg

Light crowd, but this was still 30-40 minutes before the motorcade.

crowd.jpg

hearse2.jpg

hearse3.jpg

family.jpg

All this pic needs is a big ol' flag in it.

arches.jpg

That spare hearse.

hearse4.jpg

I was in line at 2pm as I was part of the first 100 at DeVos Place. We waited four hours before they opened the doors and then it went quickly. We called the final lane out of DP to the Museum the "yellow brick road".

It was so nice to hear other peoples stories about President Ford.

We went to Cygnus after and saw quite a few dignitaries.

An amazing experience that I will have forever.

Rachel

I got down there around 6:15 and waited in line for about 4 hours. I was glad so many people turned out, I just wish they weren't all in front of me! :D

I'm also more convinced than ever that there's no parking shortage downtown. I got a spot at the bottom of the Leo's ramp. On my way back some people from Detroit were asking me how long the wait was. I told them it took me 4 hours but that the line had grown and to expect to wait 6 hours.

My Korean roommate doesn't quite understand what's going on. I had to explain to him that President Ford is a Grand Rapids native and all that. And that it's not political in the least, it's just respect. We'd all be out there if it were Jimmy Carter I'm sure.

Archived