IKEA Coming to Charlotte

Lot66

I just posted this on another topic, but i think it deserves its own since i can't seem to find the IKEA thread......If this is already old news, I apologize...

The wife and I just returned from visiting family up in Connecticut. While we were there, we decided to take a run over to the IKEA in New Haven, CT. While paying for our stuff, the person behind the counter asked for my wife's ID to verify the credit card. When she saw the address as Charlotte, she immediately lit up, and let us know that she, and a number of other folks from that store, have already agreed to relocate to Charlotte to help open one of the next IKEA stores.

the timeline she gave was just under 2 years. She said it was a done deal, and that they had already found a site, but she had no idea where in Charlotte. I thought that this was AWESOME. I put this on the other topic, but I have read all the yadda yadda about IKEA-hating, and that we should buy NC furniture....We just bought some pieces from Thomasville furniture, and they are indeed beautiful. But we totally appreciate the thought and innovation that IKEA puts into its products, and we are HUGE supporters. Is it all for us? No Way, but the things that do indeed fit our style and budget do so like a glove.

I can't imagine why a worker there would make this up, but if its true, we may have a party!!!! :yahoo:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should put it in Southend. There is a parcel they are clearing out off of Youngblood or Hawkins(near the lightrail), anyone know what that is all about? I think I remember seeing some silos on the property. This would be a pretty cool location being that there are a lot of other furniture stores, design related businesses in the area.

Bank on it, IKEA is coming to CLT. From the discussions I have had with some of their management team in PA, they were all over coming to CLT about two years ago. This is a done deal. Now it is just a matter of where they are going to locate the store and how long before the dirt is churning at the site. I am still seeing the City Blvd tract as the place they plop down.

However, things do change and they could elect another prime piece of property with frontage off of the Interstate.

A2

I think Concord Mills Blvd. would probably be one of the best spots.....given that Ikea's are usually huge, and need huge parking garages/lots........Unless they find a spot in Uptown that is big enough to handle the traffic.....The furniture that they carry isnt all college-oriented.....so I dont think University City would be the best choice.....SouthEnd would be nice, but then that would make South Blvd. have even more traffic.....I say either Concord Mills Blvd. or Northlake

I can remember buying some IKEA furniture up north when I was going to college in the early 90's. It really didn't last long.

But to put things into perspective, if Rooms to Go can flourish in a state where traditional furniture has a storied history, why not IKEA?

RTG spends TONS of money on advertising and has that ugly, monstrous showroom/dist. center on 85 by Billy Graham Parkway. Personally, I think RTG is a "nicer" verson of IKEA.

IKEA will do good here based on the influx of people outside of the Carolinas that are used to it in their hometowns. It is decent furniture for the starter home. But as time goes on, most people will shift to the tried and true furniture dealers to buy sturdy, solid goods for their home over the long haul.

I'm not knocking IKEA, since I have purchased there and may buy a small piece or two down the road. But if it goes by Concord Mills, no dice. Too far and WAY too much traffic to deal with even on a normal weekend.

Archived