Musuem Center

Rizzo

Some relatives of mine started in on talking about the old museum. If memory serves me -- that location is reserved as a community archive. The conversation turned into a remembrance of what is there (even rumors) and wondering why the "good stuff" isn't rotated into the newer Museum Center. I figured it was all possible especially since the museum is one of the oldest historical museums in the country. Possible reasons might have been attributed to funding, lack of space, no relevance to the current museum, or the "good stuff" doesn't exist. Like many of you I remember the streetcar and the streetscape scenes as a prominent display. Which of course some of the exhibit is displayed at the Museum Center. Is there anything else you remember that isn't currently on display?

Objects told to be in storage:

• Dinosaurs (completed or nearly completed skeletons?)

• Local industry artifacts (Steelcase chairs, Bissell products, prototypes?, etc.)

• Mummies (A queen?)

• Strange oddities (bizarre scientific exploration)

• More extensive street scene

• Local historical artifacts relating to founding fathers and other local figures

• Mammoth?

What's really in storage these days? Is there a reason why its not seeing light?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not the street scene, but anything related to local history would seem worth a second look. Have you been to the Museum Center? I get the feeling of a resounding, "boooring...." Of course I love local history and I can see a permanent exhibition 20 times and still go back for more.

Nitro, I have the same memories... Gas Light Village was awesomely well done. There was always this foreshadowing feeling, the darkness about the cobblestone street and all that jazz. I would be very interested in seeing this again. I remember inquiring about this a few years back but was never responded to. The Archives don't have to even move or rotate with the Museum Center, but to open the place up and let the light in would really peak the local interest again.

I also loved the old Museum building. THe original Gas Light Village was incredibly cool, and was far superior to one in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago upon which it may have been based. I also loved the stuffed animals in the diorama room -- I wonder whatever happened to them.

Speaking of architecture, I believe that the building is the only significant example of WPA architecture in the city. If you look inside the entrance, you can see the plaques commemorating public funding for the structure.

No, I do remember this being a model of a local scene. The exhibit had many shops with many local historical products such as Bissell Cleaners. I don't think it was necessarily a EGR scene as it was as overall compilation of the urban area. That is if memory serves me well.

The concept of a recreated street scene may be loosely based on Chicago's, but not modeled.

No, I do remember this being a model of a local scene. The exhibit had many shops with many local historical products such as Bissell Cleaners. I don't think it was necessarily a EGR scene as it was as overall compilation of the urban area. That is if memory serves me well.

The concept of a recreated street scene may be loosely based on Chicago's, but not modeled.

My aunt was 'shopkeep' at one of the storefronts in the new museum. I don't remember if the original scene was staffed, I do remember the shops being open once in a great while. Having a gas light village with volunteer street performers and shopkeeps would complete the experience :)

I'm hopeful that with the transfer of power from the city to a private foundation that we will see a stronger museum. While I agree, the old Gaslight Village was better; they have a great building and collection with tons more potential. I know they were working on an "A to Z" exhibit that would feature allot of the collection that has been in storage for years. I don't know if they finished that yet?

BTW, I was there for the dedication in 1994, and Gerry Ford cut the ribbon. :) I wonder if the VMC has any artifacts related to Ford, or if everything is over at his museum?

I'm hopeful that with the transfer of power from the city to a private foundation that we will see a stronger museum. While I agree, the old Gaslight Village was better; they have a great building and collection with tons more potential. I know they were working on an "A to Z" exhibit that would feature allot of the collection that has been in storage for years. I don't know if they finished that yet?

BTW, I was there for the dedication in 1994, and Gerry Ford cut the ribbon. :) I wonder if the VMC has any artifacts related to Ford, or if everything is over at his museum?

Archived