I 97 to I 295 Connection

ghp39

A possible way to lessen the I 495/ I 95 congestion from Springfield to Fredericsburg would entail construction of an interstate from I 97/Route 50 near Anapolis MD to the Richmond bypass (I 295) along the US 301 corridor. This would permit North-South tourist and truck traffic to bypass the mixing bowl entirely. I 97 connects with I 695 (Baltimore) and thence to I 95 North. I 295 connects with I 95 south of Richmond. This may be an old and previously discarded idea, but Homeland Security might pick up on it as a defense measure against massive chaos in the event of a successful terrorist attack on the Capital. That might create sufficient Federal financial support to overcome Maryland objections.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A possible way to lessen the I 495/ I 95 congestion from Springfield to Fredericsburg would entail construction of an interstate from I 97/Route 50 near Anapolis MD to the Richmond bypass (I 295) along the US 301 corridor. This would permit North-South tourist and truck traffic to bypass the mixing bowl entirely. I 97 connects with I 695 (Baltimore) and thence to I 95 North. I 295 connects with I 95 south of Richmond. This may be an old and previously discarded idea, but Homeland Security might pick up on it as a defense measure against massive chaos in the event of a successful terrorist attack on the Capital. That might create sufficient Federal financial support to overcome Maryland objections.

That is an interesting proposal. I live in Virginia Beach and use I 64 when going to DC or US 13/Delaware 1 when going to Philadelphia. I 64 and US? 58 to Raleigh is a popular but dangerous route due to 58 being 2 lane. All those routes into and out of Tidewater Virginia are subject to heavy tourist volume already, but the one you mentioned might be an easier sell since a lot of farm land is involved.

The idea has never really gotten off the ground, but it keeps resurfacing every few years.

The US 64 and 17 stretch between Raleigh and Chesapeake is gradually being upgraded to freeway or expressway.

US 13 from the N end of the Bridge Tunnel to Dover DE is already 4 lanes, non-freeway, but mostly rural, thus upgrade-able. North of Dover to Wilmington it's already a tollway.

Getting the Bridge Tunnel up to standard and upgrading the short stretch of US 13 between I-64 and the Bridge Tunnel would be the major issues to resolve.

Archived