Presidential Pardons

MadVlad

I've never looked into the subject, and I certainly don't currently have time to do so. Why exactly do Presidents have the power to pardon criminals, and what exactly is the purpose of such a thing? Hopefully some of you guys can educate me because it really seems like a stupid perk that is thrown at the President to hook up people he's sympathetic with....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^If the president commits a crime, he should be held accountable, regardless of national/world issues. Nixon wouldn't have been impeached, as he had already resigned. A trial of a former president would have been a major news story, but it wouldn't have had much effect on the political arena, which had already moved on.

I think that at the time, everyone would have agreed with you, and he knew it would end his career. However looking back, most historians, political leaders (Democrats and Republicans) agree that he did what was best for the country. He has even won several awards for it including the Congressional Medal of Honor and the John F. Kennedy Profiles in Courage Award.

Heck in Jimmy Carter

nixon is synonymous for crook. he should have been handled as one. i think the country would have healed even better knowing that elected officials are NOT kings... that they are not above the law. IMO, to think otherwise is doubt the intelligence and spirit of the people of this country. we would have survived and been better off in the long run. instead we corrode the line of right and wrong with sound bites like "he healed the nation" or "did what was best".

all that history shows is that we covered up crimes and corruption rather than seeking justice. as a nation we survived 3 major assassinations in the 1960's - all the while dealing with the vietnam war, cold war, and the civil rights movement... yet, we just ain't got what it takes to go through the impeachment of a crooked president. give me a break.

BTW, i question the process of pardons... not too sure how i feel about them.

Actually I have mixed feelings about President Ford's pardon of Nixon. At the time I was outraged when it happened, as was almost everyone I knew. After hearing the news, it took people about 3 seconds to wonder if a deal had been struck in advance of Ford's appointment to the Vice Presidency.

Looking back in hindsight, it does seem like the right thing for Ford to have done. I think history will judge Ford kindly, and I feel that Ford indeed believed it was the best thing for the country. I have ceased to think it was part of a pre struck deal.

Having said that, I still think it a blight on our country's legal and moral traditions. When a person commits MAJOR heavy duty crimes like Nixon did, we expect that person to answer for, and pay for his crimes. Ford took away that possibilty with the pardon.

Nixon was a 100% snake. I always thought he was the worst president in American history. That is until we got our current president.

Archived