Columbia Photo of the Day

Firefox

• 3 weeks later...

Olympia Mill

IMG_5322-1.jpg

A very handsome building and photo. What is Olympia Mill? I will be visiting relatives in both Columbia & Florence in September for some needed R&R & a change of scenery away from the big City/Jungle of San Francisco...Will probably stay up in my aunt's lake house somewhere in town called Blythewood..I was there once in the 90s and remember red rolling hills and tall pines and lake that was pitch black with beautiful homes scattered here and there...It was very peaceful & I rather liked it...

A very handsome building and photo. What is Olympia Mill? I will be visiting relatives in both Columbia & Florence in September for some needed R&R & a change of scenery away from the big City/Jungle of San Francisco...Will probably stay up in my aunt's lake house somewhere in town called Blythewood..I was there once in the 90s and remember red rolling hills and tall pines and lake that was pitch black with beautiful homes scattered here and there...It was very peaceful & I rather liked it...

If you haven't been to Blythewood in 10 years you will find it quite different now. The town has grown by over 700% between 2000 and 2006. Parts of Blythewood are still fairly rural, but much of it is now mostly a suburb of Columbia.

If you haven't been to Blythewood in 10 years you will find it quite different now. The town has grown by over 700% between 2000 and 2006. Parts of Blythewood are still fairly rural, but much of it is now mostly a suburb of Columbia.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing it and Columbia again. My favorite aunt, whose main house is in Columbia, is celebrating her 48th Wedding Anniversary...She also has a farm out in Hopkins...but I found it scary there; the animal noises in the forest and outside the house at night bothered me somewhat; much like all of rural eastern Florence county where there are no street lights...but that was 10 years ago; I think I can handle it better this time around. Making the trip adventuresome: taking a train from San Francisco/Emeryville through the great west/midwest to Chicago...then to Washington...and a few days in New York...finally Columbia or Charleston (I haven't decided which one to arrive; Charleston was my college/ party town and I would love to see it!!! cause it was sooo much fun & so damn beautiful the last time I was there) The train trip should take about 5 to 7 days...Plans are to stay for a month in South Carolina; then return to San Fran via plane...(if I can stomach my exhaustive relatives for that long whom I haven't seen since a short trip to Columbia in 1997...)

Edited by Zahc

• 2 weeks later...