Columbia Photo of the Day

Firefox

The next time i'm in Columbia, i'm going to try and take pictures....unfortunately i don't have a good camera like it seems everyone else has. I'm regreting not getting a better digital camera now....I ended up going compact and purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-W80....not a bad camera at the least when taking personal pictures...

I look at it krazeeboi. I love that building, but always wish they'd find some way to use the interior. I don't believe publix uses much of the historic structure do they? Maybe a museum of the old press or a market of some sort would be cool.

I look at it krazeeboi. I love that building, but always wish they'd find some way to use the interior. I don't believe publix uses much of the historic structure do they? Maybe a museum of the old press or a market of some sort would be cool.

Hey, StephenW, and welcome to UP! We look forward to more posts from you.

You are right, Publix does not use much of the building. I found this highly curious and frustrating. Here they had this more-than-big-enough, rectangular, grocery-store-shaped building that they wanted to renovate and put a grocery store in. They did that, but then ADDED on an L-shaped wing to accommodate the now rotated footprint of the grocery store, leaving the rest of the original building empty. HUH? Why????

All I can think of is that the developer wanted to have the rest converted into small sections to rent to other, smaller stores that usually locate adjacent to a Publix. So far, none have done that.

Vacancy of the rest of the building makes the addition even more regrettable, IMO. The addition to the Publlix, along with removal of all the brick steps that used to give it more of a warehouse feel, greatly compromised the presence, scale, and welcoming stance that the great building once enjoyed on the streets it faces, Gervais and Huger. At least it WAS saved.

Good to know people are still checking this thread out. The lack of responses made me think no one was.

I always check out this thread. I will be in Columbia next Thursday for 6 days and I will bring my camera! It has been 3 years since my last visit to this fine city. I am sure I will see a lot of stuff that wasn't there then. I hope I can get some good photos, hopefully something interesting enough to post here!

Edited by pricemiller

Vacancy of the rest of the building makes the addition even more regrettable, IMO. The addition to the Publlix, along with removal of all the brick steps that used to give it more of a warehouse feel, greatly compromised the presence, scale, and welcoming stance that the great building once enjoyed on the streets it faces, Gervais and Huger. At least it WAS saved.

I don't understand why refurbished brick wasn't used for the addition. As is, it doesn't blend well with the historical structure at all.

I didn't know that all of the space wasn't utilized. I'm sure there must be some future plans or something, but I agree--at least the building was saved.

Pricemiller, I look foward to you sharing your pics with us.

889249204_7a2cd1240e.jpg

I heard that the City had to put up a big fight with Hampton Inn to get that entrance on Gervais, which is now heavily used by guests... Goes to show that saying, "no, this is how we want it" will go a long way.

Hey, StephenW, and welcome to UP! We look forward to more posts from you.

You are right, Publix does not use much of the building. I found this highly curious and frustrating. Here they had this more-than-big-enough, rectangular, grocery-store-shaped building that they wanted to renovate and put a grocery store in. They did that, but then ADDED on an L-shaped wing to accommodate the now rotated footprint of the grocery store, leaving the rest of the original building empty. HUH? Why????

All I can think of is that the developer wanted to have the rest converted into small sections to rent to other, smaller stores that usually locate adjacent to a Publix. So far, none have done that.

I think the addition was put there because they wanted to be able to accomodate delivery trucks, and they wanted to use the rest of the building for something else. Besides that, Publix has certain dimensions for its smaller urban stores like that one. Check out the one on Rosewood, which has a similar configuration. I'm guessing the rest of the building is still empty?