Columbia Photo of the Day

Firefox

Here's a great overview shot of the Vista, from The State newpaper.

548-livinghere13.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

Even with the six-story condo building covering up the cement fire tower you see in the photo, the State House will still not be blocked from view.

Edited by krazeeboi

• 3 weeks later...

I love fountains. It would be cool to become a city of fountains as water is becoming a major theme in Columbia recently. Plus they seem to attract people. We need a fountain in the Vista now...

Not only do we need a fountain in the Vista, we need a central plaza of some sort with that fountain. Those two things are the two most essential things missing in the Vista right now.

Ah, but Taylor Street will soon end at the one-acre park connected to the Canalside esplanade, and the one-acre park will have as its centerpiece a fountain the main attraction of which will be huge flat granite blocks from CCI's Cell Block One.

Ah, but Taylor Street will soon end at the one-acre park connected to the Canalside esplanade, and the one-acre park will have as its centerpiece a fountain the main attraction of which will be huge flat granite blocks from CCI's Cell Block One.

I want to add that when you're driving into Columbia on Jarvis Klapman Boulevard, you should see this fountain as a centerpiece along the top of the stone wall that so beautifully lines the Columbia Canal. Don't wreck!

Not only do we need a fountain in the Vista, we need a central plaza of some sort with that fountain. Those two things are the two most essential things missing in the Vista right now.

I agree. Where would you suggest this be located?

I think it would be cool if any developments that come to the lots at Assembly and Gervais would include some type of statue-fountain at the corners. They would be iconic and would serve as a symbolic gateway to Vista.

I concur here as well. If done correctly, that would look amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new member, although I have been a guest for years, so I feel like I know all of you. Glad I finally joined to add my optinions to your discussions.

I have lived in the Columbia area all my life and your pics here show Columbia in new refreshing light. You guys could quit your day jobs and become professional photographers, easy. Thanks!