Columbia Photo of the Day

Firefox

With all these excellent photos of Columbia, someone (uh hum, Firefox) should start a thread of the city on UP's photo section. We can add more and more photos keeping the thread on top of the list and giving Cola some more exposure on here.

I really love Firefox's pictures from Capital One and the Fire Station tower. What do yall think?

I hope I don't get in trouble since this is technically the third picture of the day, but I posted it in Southern Photos of the Day yesterday and wanted to post it here before you all saw it there.

Trinity Cathedral at sunset...sorry for the power lines!

june102006057.jpg

Ha! Yeah, I want to be the first to patent some kind of optical camouflage technology that will hide powerlines. :)

Trinity is a great place to snap some cool photos. Random second-hand trivia: It is located at the exact geographic center of the state.

Ha! Yeah, I want to be the first to patent some kind of optical camouflage technology that will hide powerlines. :)

Trinity is a great place to snap some cool photos. Random second-hand trivia: It is located at the exact geographic center of the state.

EM, I thought the geographic center of the state was in lower richland about 13 miles southeast of downtown? Could it be the population center of the state?

USGS

Here is the center of population, just northeast of downtown Columbia.

scmap.jpg

Edited by waccamatt

That would be perfect for me, heh. And that's some awesome trivia!

That's an EXCELLENT shot of Trinity. That church has so much history and so much flair; same goes for other downtown churches, particularly First Presbyterian.

And no, you won't get into trouble. :)

Thanks! I was baptized at First Presbyterian but I'm Episcopalian now, so both churches have special meaning to me. I love the cemetery at First Pres and once skipped a day of high school so I could explore it and take pictures. I'm a nerd. :P

Now this is a quality shot! :shades:

Thank you; I'm glad so many people responded well to that picture.

Edited by SnowWhite

Where did the 1952 phot come from?

I forget which website I found it on. It actually has historic photos/postcards from different cities within the state, as well as other information.

Great shots of the interior of the library, SnowWhite. I've never actually been inside, so it's great to see these. It looks quite attractive from that perspective and appears to be a superior example of the architecture of its time.