Saddam's Execution

dpbaker

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what he did he should hang, for the realistic current possibilities of what might follow his execution in Iraq I think it is foolish. That place is so unstable now that any slight jolt can send heavy shockwaves. The simple potential to up the violence there makes this a bad choice right now.

Again, not to imply he shouldn't hang for what he has done, but this might be a poor judgment call -- though most everything that has happened in Iraq for 4 years has been through poor judgment.

Given this execution is being made possible courtesy of the United States Military at the orders of our President. I don't think any good will come from it and it makes the USA look like a bunch of bullies and kids. There was a time when we were respected in the world and this event is going to move us further away from that.

Saddam should have at least been tried in an international war crimes court instead of being given the monkey trial that he was given with it's predetermined sentence.

Given this execution is being made possible courtesy of the United States Military at the orders of our President. I don't think any good will come from it and it makes the USA look like a bunch of bullies and kids. There was a time when we were respected in the world and this event is going to move us further away from that.

Saddam should have at least been tried in an international war crimes court instead of being given the monkey trial that he was given with it's predetermined sentence.

These daily manslaughters in Iraq are mostly religiously based. Sunnis vs. crapes etc. Like religious pogroms gone berserk.

Saddam was mostly secular. I just can't see his death causing more problems from the religious fanatics who keep the civil war going.

I might be proved wrong of course; lord help us all if I'm wrong.

oops...I think the system thought I was cursing! heehee

Sunnis vs. the other Islam branch that Iran is connected with.

OK I'm putting my neck out on this one--

I realize the United States is a civilized country that should be obeying all international edicts of conduct and international law. The States' record in respecting international law is tenuous, and that less-than-stellar record should be addressed in a very serious manner. I also hope some day that all other countries in the world do their best to respect international law as well.

But saying that, perhaps there do come situations in history that the survival of millions of people and even humanity itself might have to be put before concepts of international law.

For example Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Mao, Milosovic, Ivan the Terrible, and Saddam killed millions and millions of people and came close to destroying entire cultures and peoples.

Looking back on it with hindsight, should the civilized world have gone in and taken those monsters out when their mass genocides became apparent? Or should international law take precedence? This is something I question. I have no experience in law at all, just some common sense, and lots of hope for humanity.

I would be interested in hearing others' opinions on this question.

You don't get an argument from me on what should be done with tyrants.

However the problem comes on who decides who is a tyrant. There are plenty of places in the word where people would tell you that George Bush is the tyrant for violating the UN and directly attacking another nation. That attack led to the direct deaths of thousands and millions are now living in dire and dangerous circumstances while he sits around twittling his thumbs and making crass statements like "Bring it On", and "We are Winning".

While we don't like Mao for what he did he is currently interned in a huge mausoleum in Bejing where thousands come to visit every year. I don't think any of those people would consider him a tyrant. American's for the most part, and especially the younger generations, refuse to view the world with any viewpoint except their own and that makes them unsuitable for casting judgements on the rest of the world.

Guilty, I do believe so, however, with the way the trial was ran, I don't think it gives much credibility to the Iraqi judicial system.

I know another poster mentioned that the crimes Saddam committed were all domestic, but wasn't Milosevic's genocidal killings all within the Yugoslavic countries he ruled over? Bu yet he was still tried within international court?

Archived