How Big is Tallahassee?

nowyano

I live in Boston, have almost all my life, and am moving south so that I can afford to live. I don't know where I am moving yet but a city my wife keeps talking about is Tallahassee. Now my wife is from Enterprise, AL which I think is like 1 1/2 or 2 hours from Tallahassee and has never visited it in her life except once or twice and then only to the airport. I went to school at Tuskegee and despite playing FAMU in almost every sport I never went to an away game.

I have seen several mid and big southern cities and am wondering which city best compares to Tallahassee (size, cultural events, shopping, restaurants, arts, musuems, etc)...

The ones I know are

Atlanta - I have a feeling that there is no chance it will match there, but few southern cities do.

New Orleans - same as Atlanta

Birmingham - from the pictures I've seen I would think Birmingham is a little bigger

and the ones I would guess would be closer to Tallahassee

Mobile - only saw a little during Marte Gras

Montgomery - the pictures and events make me think they are similar in size and activities

Columbus, GA - this one might actually be a little smaller than Tallahassee as far as the comparisons I am thinking of

and the ones I would guess would be much smaller

Dothan, AL

Destin, FL

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just off the top of my head ....Tallahassee is similar in size to the following markets:

Montgomery

Macon, GA

Pensacola

Greenville S.C.

Chattanooga, TN

Augusta, Ga

Winston Salem, NC

In other words, its a solid second tier southern city, with a great quality of life. Come on down!!!!

I live in Boston, have almost all my life, and am moving south so that I can afford to live. I don't know where I am moving yet but a city my wife keeps talking about is Tallahassee. Now my wife is from Enterprise, AL which I think is like 1 1/2 or 2 hours from Tallahassee and has never visited it in her life except once or twice and then only to the airport. I went to school at Tuskegee and despite playing FAMU in almost every sport I never went to an away game.

I have seen several mid and big southern cities and am wondering which city best compares to Tallahassee (size, cultural events, shopping, restaurants, arts, musuems, etc)...

The ones I know are

Atlanta - I have a feeling that there is no chance it will match there, but few southern cities do.

Birmingham - from the pictures I've seen I would think Birmingham is a little bigger

Montgomery - the pictures and events make me think they are similar in size and activities

Columbus, GA - this one might actually be a little smaller than Tallahassee as far as the comparisons I am thinking of

Dothan, AL

Destin, FL

The ones I know are

Dothan, AL

Destin, FL

They are similar in terrain, both cities are hilly and have a "woody" feeling. Both have similar weather conditions throughout most of the year. Obviously, Atlanta will be cooler at sometimes of the year. But I have woken many mornings to see Tallahassee is actaully cooler than Atlanta.

The cities layouts are also similar. Here is a map of Tallahassee with Atlantas major highways overlayed. Someone else on this forum originally did this, but I could not find it so I re-did it. But the credit goes to them.

As far as museums and walkable neighborhoods go, we have plenty. Downtown, not so thriving, but like many cities in the South, we're working on that. Arts.... we could be a little stronger with. A performing arts center is in the works, we've got a few art galleries, an occasional performance at local theatres, but that's not our strong suit, but we're coming into that role as we grow.

Shopping isn't bad. We have two malls, 4 movie theatres, and 1 IMAX. Tons of history to see here, not quite as much as Boston, but certainally more than most other places in Florida.

People who enjoy nature will appreciate Tallahassee the most. Plenty of parks, trails, lakes, gardens, beautiful plantations etc. Horse riding is also a major draw.

Then there's the whole capital city thing, which I'm sure you're used to.

Oh, and did I mention Bird Watching, and undisturbed costal areas?

Archived