Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

>> Providence West Neighborhoods

872 posts in this topic

To continue the West Side list:

Relish - always has a bunch of event postings in the front window

Figments

French Dressing

Rocket To Mars

I think we need to wait for the ice to melt.

UrbanPlanet get together! - tour of West side hotspots followed by drinks at a West side establishment (Deacteur...)

I think we need to wait for the ice to melt.

Guess this wasn't an overwhelmingly popular idea as all that happened was my spelling was corrected!

Yup, didn't have to be this weekend...

Sorry.

Guess this wasn't an overwhelmingly popular idea as all that happened was my spelling was corrected!

sorry, it is a great idea. Just too cold right now and icy and dark! WBNA actually has a cool business mappy thing called The West Side Guide....I just checked but it isn't online.

UrbanPlanet get together! - tour of West side hotspots followed by drinks at a West side establishment (Decatur...)

Or several drinks spread out at various establishments:

Julian's

Nick's

The new french place on Westminster (bound to be open by the time the ice melts)

MoJoe's

La Prima

Mi Ranchito

... that block of empty storefronts between classic and the block of white electric would be perfect for some new retail.

What is the new french place? And where on westminster? We were just at classic cafe this morning and that block of empty storefronts between classic and the block of white electric would be perfect for some new retail.

Hey, does anyone know anything about "Stair Well" on Broadway next door to the new Nicks? It looks like a galllery but has a really elaborate espresso machine....

Hey, does anyone know anything about "Stair Well" on Broadway next door to the new Nicks? It looks like a galllery but has a really elaborate espresso machine....

Hey- I keep meaning to ask- How come the discussion around here so often centers on Westminster or Broadway, but we hardly ever (if ever, at all) talk about Cranston St.?

Seems to me that Cranston St. is the real commercial center of the West End- aside from Atwells's very specific niche- and also has the greatest potential for the development of a real full-service, walkable neighborhood.

Hey- I keep meaning to ask- How come the discussion around here so often centers on Westminster or Broadway, but we hardly ever (if ever, at all) talk about Cranston St.?

Seems to me that Cranston St. is the real commercial center of the West End- aside from Atwells's very specific niche- and also has the greatest potential for the development of a real full-service, walkable neighborhood.

Maybe it's because black people and hipsters don't (usually) mix. Ever been to Julian's on hip hop night?

Maybe it's because black people and hipsters don't (usually) mix. Ever been to Julian's on hip hop night?

The people living in the Cranston Street corridor are among the city's poorest and many don't have internet access and as such don't have access to UP. I wish they did, it would be nice to have conversations with the people living in that area on UrbanPlanet.

Um, I live 2 blocks from Cranston Street. It is one of the bordering streets of the Armory neighborhood. Seems to me it's more about a mental divide than a geographic one.

Seriously, what I would give to have a hardware store, a good-quality grocery store with fresh produce, a bank branch and some other stuff I need on Craston St. between Dexter and Rt. 10. A lot of people do their shopping on Cranston St., but it could appeal to those folks and many more, if it were developed better. It would be great for this neighborhood to have a commercial center where folks from different demographics could mingle. This town is really lacking in places where that happens, ya know?

It is definitely a mental divide. I have heard a number of people, all caucasian, who frquently say that Cranston St from Westiminster to Rte 10 should just be bulldozed and started all over again.