>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• 1 month later...

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey- I keep meaning to ask- How come the discussion around here so often centers on Westminster or Broadway, but we hardly ever (if ever, at all) talk about Cranston St.?

Seems to me that Cranston St. is the real commercial center of the West End- aside from Atwells's very specific niche- and also has the greatest potential for the development of a real full-service, walkable neighborhood.

Hey- I keep meaning to ask- How come the discussion around here so often centers on Westminster or Broadway, but we hardly ever (if ever, at all) talk about Cranston St.?

Seems to me that Cranston St. is the real commercial center of the West End- aside from Atwells's very specific niche- and also has the greatest potential for the development of a real full-service, walkable neighborhood.

The people living in the Cranston Street corridor are among the city's poorest and many don't have internet access and as such don't have access to UP. I wish they did, it would be nice to have conversations with the people living in that area on UrbanPlanet.

Um, I live 2 blocks from Cranston Street. It is one of the bordering streets of the Armory neighborhood. Seems to me it's more about a mental divide than a geographic one.

Seriously, what I would give to have a hardware store, a good-quality grocery store with fresh produce, a bank branch and some other stuff I need on Craston St. between Dexter and Rt. 10. A lot of people do their shopping on Cranston St., but it could appeal to those folks and many more, if it were developed better. It would be great for this neighborhood to have a commercial center where folks from different demographics could mingle. This town is really lacking in places where that happens, ya know?

It is definitely a mental divide. I have heard a number of people, all caucasian, who frquently say that Cranston St from Westiminster to Rte 10 should just be bulldozed and started all over again.

Archived