>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this is a splinter group from the Camp Runamuck folks. Today it looks like there is a fence going up, although I know that the city is trying to get them out because of the zoning. I don't really know how I feel about it. On one hand I feel for the homeless people, but on the other hand these people don't seem to be interested in the help that has been offered to them...

Yes, this is a splinter group from the Camp Runamuck folks. Today it looks like there is a fence going up, although I know that the city is trying to get them out because of the zoning. I don't really know how I feel about it. On one hand I feel for the homeless people, but on the other hand these people don't seem to be interested in the help that has been offered to them...

I think a number of the residents of these camps also are suffering from mental health issues. Housing is only one of a myriad of concerns they need addressed. Simply putting people with mental health issues into temp housing is not going to solve anything long term. We need a teach a man to fish strategy.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I imagine any fixes to the roads in that area are waiting for the replacement of the 6/10 interchange, which would replace most roads. Don't want to fix it now just to rebuild it later. Of course I have no idea what the current timeline is for that project and actually would prefer to see something far different than anything that is currently proposed.

I imagine any fixes to the roads in that area are waiting for the replacement of the 6/10 interchange, which would replace most roads. Don't want to fix it now just to rebuild it later. Of course I have no idea what the current timeline is for that project and actually would prefer to see something far different than anything that is currently proposed.

So I notice that there is work going on again at the site across from WBNA where the co-op is supposed to open. Does anyone know if they are actually moving fwd again?

Also on Westminster St, US GAS is reopened and a new used car lot on the corner of Courtland & Westminster has opened with a decidedly upscale selection of cars parked out front. (Porsche Cayenne anyone?). Metropolis Salon across the street has closed.

Looks like equipment is back onsite across from WBNA - Does this mean they are moving fwd?

Other Westminster St goings on:

US Gas reopened as WE Gas. Maybe next time it will be I Gas or You Gas

Used Car Lot opened on the corner of Westminster & Courtland with a decidedly upscale selection of cars. (Porsche Cayenne anyone?)

Metropolis Salon is closed. For rent sign is up.

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. official praises development in Olneyville, South Providence

A federal housing official said Friday that the “sustainable and livable” community development taking shape in the distressed communities of Olneyville and South Providence are the type of projects the Department of Housing and Urban Development is encouraging.

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content/OLNEYVILLE_HUD_TOUR_01-23-10_33H6RGF_v22.345fb66.html

• 3 months later...

Archived