>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

No, Jon Ozbek is not an absentee landlord. I suspect there are deeper issues around the lease not being renewed (noise? maybe Joann didn't pay the rent on time? it would be nice if one of the parties could clear this up).

I don't know him personally but, from what I've heard and seen of his properties, he's a conscientious guy so maybe there are business reasons for this.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Jon Ozbek is not an absentee landlord. I suspect there are deeper issues around the lease not being renewed (noise? maybe Joann didn't pay the rent on time? it would be nice if one of the parties could clear this up).

I don't know him personally but, from what I've heard and seen of his properties, he's a conscientious guy so maybe there are business reasons for this.

ozbek has repeatedly claimed there have been numerous noise complaints, which is funny seeing how that directly contradicts the providence police dept and lombardi's positions..that is, they have never had any complaints.

f-u-c-k john ozbeck and anyone who thinks he is remotely in the right on this.

ozbek has repeatedly claimed there have been numerous noise complaints, which is funny seeing how that directly contradicts the providence police dept and lombardi's positions..that is, they have never had any complaints.

point taken --- but let me tell you that me stating that the building owner trumpted up accusations of noise violations is no hyperbole on my part.

And...I thought I could just let it go...but the earlier comment about the Lupos deal 'working out' just gets to me. The deal worked out for nobody but Buff Chase and co.

We lost the Met Cafe and Lupos' exists in name only. I fail to see how losing a long time venue for local, regional, and smaller national touring acts (the Met), losing lupos, and the end result is booking only large scale national acts (to end early to accomodate the incapable-of-behaving dance club crowd) worked out for anyone. In the case of the lupos' location on westminster, I could see how the massive revenue and tax potential was there for the conversion of that building into residences. With the Decatur, we are talking about 1 space. A very small space. It does not add up.

For the record - I am not even a resident of the west end. I lived off smith st, in fox point, and in mt hope for 8 years, and have lived in south county for the last couple of years. I just know a raw deal when I see it.

Honestly, from reading other threads/topics on UP, I don't agree that an upscale home decor store, a new bakery, or whatever even comes close to making up for the gutting of the things that made providence interesting for me coming of age here in the 1990s...

Green Room

Safari

One Up

Met Cafe

Lupos

In Your Ear

Ft Thunder

fast forward records

custom house

the call

babyhead

etc

If you want providence to be a bigger east greenwich...god help you.

The Falugos Furniture space on Westminster now has the windows papers over and "Coming Soon - La Moda" signs up. No indication of what La Moda might be, but this is a pretty large retail space. It had appeared they were doing a store front church in there a couple months ago, but I only saw folks in their once or twice.

And...I thought I could just let it go...but the earlier comment about the Lupos deal 'working out' just gets to me. The deal worked out for nobody but Buff Chase and co.

We lost the Met Cafe and Lupos' exists in name only. I fail to see how losing a long time venue for local, regional, and smaller national touring acts (the Met), losing lupos, and the end result is booking only large scale national acts (to end early to accomodate the incapable-of-behaving dance club crowd) worked out for anyone.

When you're completley rehabbing condos directly across the street from a bar, it certainly seems like it would be easier to sell such condos without the bar there to turn off potential buyers. I imagine that he has a lot more to gain financially from getting those condos off of his hands (when they're ready to sell), and figures that he can command the same rent (if not more) from some plain vanilla business (mattresses or crappy sandwiches).

I think the rumors about Subways and mattress shops were facetious. I know my comment on Starbucks was. If Starbucks were coming to the Hill they'd want to be on one of the main drags (Atwells, Westminster, Broadway).

i'd have kids across the street from a bar, especially one that isn't a night club or has really loud music. from what i've heard, the decatur is pretty low key. the noise wouldn't bother me as long as my windows were good. :thumbsup:

speaking of coffee shops and the hill... are there any dunkin donuts on federal hill? i have 2 within half a mile of my current place, but i don't know where they are in relation to my new home.

speaking of coffee shops and the hill... are there any dunkin donuts on federal hill? i have 2 within half a mile of my current place, but i don't know where they are in relation to my new home.

i'm sure that if the decatur was too loud on any given evening, either during or after service, the police would have been dispatched. If no one called them to complain about noise, then i will assume that noise wasn't an issue. the appropriate response to any business, or neighbor that is being less than neighborly is to follow the chain of command, if you will, and ensure that a record of complaint is made.

Look, we can go around and around on this issue about who is right and who is wrong and who is too loud and not respectful and who is a bottomline landlord. What i know is that the folks at the Decatur raised more money for friend's funerals, and cancer treatments, and special olympics and tsunami victims and Katrina homeless and dog shelters, and neighborhood groups and other small businesses than any single entity i can think of, and i for one am incredibly grateful for having been involved with this very important neighborhood asset...

Archived