>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even with the relative wealth of the Armory, the West End which Cranston Street bisects, still has a median family income $10k below the city average, and a median household income $5k below the average. It also has a third of it's families living below the poverty level. Look at the areas north of Cranston Street, then look at the areas south of it. It is certainly a geographic - socio-economic - racial - ethic divide.

The stats I see show that Fed. Hill incomes range from lower than to only slightly higher than those in the West End. The whole area is pretty evenly poor, statistically speaking. Given that, I wonder if it's really about income, or about perception of income, you know?

I think Ruchele has a pretty good point, and its kindof reinforced by the newly broken out "Armory" section of Providence UP...

between broadway and atwells is a pretty poor area. obviously, the areas pretty close to atwells aren't as poor as some of the other areas, but the armory district tends to have relatively more wealth than those other parts of the west side.

between broadway and atwells is a pretty poor area. obviously, the areas pretty close to atwells aren't as poor as some of the other areas, but the armory district tends to have relatively more wealth than those other parts of the west side.

Another dog park story....

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...JV.35fb389.html

Now I know there is both support and opposition for this. Whatever the space is to be used for, there will be improvements. Since the city is committed to this space as an off leash area, the Friends of Dexter Training Ground is committed to keeping this space clean and usable. If anyone on here is interested in volunteering to help keep this space clean and attractive, please drop me a line...

• 2 weeks later...
Having only heard from Joann so far, the owner, i can't say that i know the building owner's reasoning, but i am happy to speculate and talk smack off line. I do know that Councilman John Lombardi has been working behind the scenes to find out what is going on, as is Rep Costantino and others. I cannot stress enough how important this place is to the revitalization of that area. Maybe, Jim, you should rethink your move. I know I would.

Yep. Quite honestly, I am glad I am getting out of here and moving to Pawtucket. This is an example of gentrification at its worse - where those who worked really, really hard to improve a place and make it home are forced to pack up and leave for pure monetary gain.

Archived