>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Jon Ozbek is not an absentee landlord. I suspect there are deeper issues around the lease not being renewed (noise? maybe Joann didn't pay the rent on time? it would be nice if one of the parties could clear this up).

I don't know him personally but, from what I've heard and seen of his properties, he's a conscientious guy so maybe there are business reasons for this.

So..c.a. haynes...i see you watching this topic often, and every post of yours relating to the Decatur has been negative. What is your connection?

You are totally full of crap about 80+ people being loud outside the bar and the official record proves it.

What's done is done, but I am extremely suspicious of your motives and would love to know what your problem is.

So..c.a. haynes...i see you watching this topic often, and every post of yours relating to the Decatur has been negative. What is your connection?

You are totally full of crap about 80+ people being loud outside the bar and the official record proves it.

What's done is done, but I am extremely suspicious of your motives and would love to know what your problem is.

Um...how is my current coastal residence relevant?

What makes you think I don't spend any time in the city or that I don't know an awful lot of people? I have played in area bands, off and on, for over a decade and spent a lot of time in places high and low.

I am confused...Where in my last post did I attack someone? I merely noticed an obvious pattern in someone's posts and called them on it. If this is not acceptable per UP forum usage terms, I will refrain from doing so in the future.

I'm sad for the people I knew in the neighborhood, the people who ran the place, the continuing decline of the interesting providence etc.

I dunno. I just don't see a greater good for the neighborhood coming out of this. I loved the quote about the demographic of 30 something women with babies on the brain...um...shouldn't you be in barrington vs a rat infested only recently gentrified area if that's the case? Uh oh...I'm kidding...sort of...

Liam and Jen are awesome, btw. Excellent posts. Cue NN rocky point cover.

I'm done with this and apologize if anyone is personally offended by my abrasive demeanor on this thread. I do not speak for owner or staff of the bar in question. Sometimes a bit of hornet-nest-poking is necessary to get people to say what they really think.

Thanks CA for the explanation. I still don't buy it based on my own experiences there and other information, but thank you for your immediate stepping up to clarify.

I dunno. I just don't see a greater good for the neighborhood coming out of this. I loved the quote about the demographic of 30 something women with babies on the brain...um...shouldn't you be in barrington vs a rat infested only recently gentrified area if that's the case? Uh oh...I'm kidding...sort of...

In addition to those demos that I listed, I also happen to be a successful academic whose mind would rot in the suburbs. Regardless of where you think I should move, I live right on Broadway and plan to stay - rodent problems and all. Sadly, this is the attitude that my husband and I often get in the neighborhood. Just because we don't have mutton chops or multiple piercings does not mean that we belong in Barrington.

The reality is that it is irrelevant how noisy or not noisy the Decatur was. It's the perception that matters. When prospective buyers who are naive to the neighborhood come in to look at those condos, they're not going to believe that the bar is quiet just because someone tells them that it is. I still believe that the bar was a liability to Ozbek because he's trying to sell some real estate.

Again, I don't condone any of his actions, but it seems that it's one plausible explanation for the question of "why?" that has been asked multiple times.

No one has confirmed that the neighboring condos are the reason for wanting the Decatur out. No one has even confirmed that the landlord wanted the Decatur out. None of the parties involved have confirmed anything publicly. I'm beginning to tire of this discussion, if there are no facts to discuss, then I will end the discussion. Insults and speculation have no place here.

Yes the new place is owned by Jon. I dont really see the connection. One is a neighborhood tavern, the other is a bistro.

In other food news, La Prima is open for breakfast now Mon-Fri starting at 7am. And saturday at 8 I think. I had breakfast there the other day. Your basic stuff, but done very well.

Gives the neighborhood another option when Nick's is too crowded, of course it is a bit of a walk down the other way.

The Classic is great too. I divide my time between there and Nick's. But since Nick's is around the corner from me, it is easy for me to get there at 7 or 8 and never wait for a table.

La Prima is on Broadway, near the old daily Bread. Excellent italian food, better than most meals i have had on Atwells. The owner is also a big contributor to the neighborhood.

http://www.laprimacaffe.com/

In addition to those demos that I listed, I also happen to be a successful academic whose mind would rot in the suburbs. Regardless of where you think I should move, I live right on Broadway and plan to stay - rodent problems and all. Sadly, this is the attitude that my husband and I often get in the neighborhood. Just because we don't have mutton chops or multiple piercings does not mean that we belong in Barrington.

what state do you live in where barrington is 10 minutes from providence? it's more like 20 on a good day.

also, public school systems are entirely what you make of them. i have known people from the worst school systems to go on to college (and the college you choose no longer matters) and graduate with a great GPA. if the students wants to succeed, they will. they don't need teachers to push them, they know how to find the people who will and they know how to get what they want. the community is what's more important, and i have a feeling providence has better communities than barrington ever will.

concessions are not being made for anyone. the mount hope you once knew is pretty much gone. go look in the "thinking of moving to providence" and the "providence east neighborhoods" threads. you'll see lots of discussion about mount hope and *gasp* camp street in particular in the recent discussions. it's a city, there's crime, get over it. do you not think crime happens in barrington? barrington is hardly utopia. it's about as bland as RI can get.

gentrification does not mean stripping providence of what makes it providence. sure, it has a bad connotation, but it doesn't have to. it doesn't always mean the yuppie-fication of a neighborhood. it could mean the cleaning up of a neighborhood... making a neighborhood become more of a neighborhood that the residents, both new and old, can be proud to live in. that's what the armory has become. that's what that section of federal hill has become. it's a neighborhood that people who just move there or people who have lived there for years are proud to be a part of. the decatur helped that, but it doesn't have to die with the decatur. it can continue with neighborhood cleanups and other events that bring the people together. you don't need a bar.

i'm slowly getting my fiancee to raelize that the city is not a bad place to raise a child. i don't think i'd choose federal hill, but i wouldn't be opposed to the armory, elmhurst, summit (probably including parts of mount hope), etc. the suburbs are boring. there's nothing going on, there's no culture, and there's little community. why would anyone think they're better? keep your mcmansions, 3 acre yards, and great school systems. i'm gonna raise my kid(s) in providence and they'll turn out just fine, and more open to ideas and other cultures that just don't exist in the suburbs.

Archived