Charleston adds 855 acres in 2006

vicupstate

Charleston adds 855 acres in 2006; 512 residents

It's interesting that newly annexed areas don't provide taxes to Charleston for 6 years in James Island and a TBD period in West Ashley. I guess it is fair since the PSD paid for the infrastructure.

I would assume taxes might be going up in St. Andrews (West Ashley) and James Island PSDs in a few years as the tax revenues from these annexed areas run out. That could widen the gap in Charleston's favor even further.

I wonder how soon the James Island case will be heard by the SC Supreme Court.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing James Island for most of the year, no doubt made a difference. Area-wise,not a great year, but decent. Eventual population increase is pretty respectable though.

If the Long Savannah project annexes to Charleston in 2007, it would more than make-up for a so-so 2006.

Greenville added 242 acres this year. Beaufort will probably hold the SC record this year, more than 4,000 acres I think. Of course Hardeeville or Bluffton might have added a similiar or larger amount given their recent history. I wonder if the Secretary of State's office compiles statewide figures.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Hopefully if the 3rd incorporation of the rest of James Island gets thrown out, Chas can make some more annexation gains on the island. As for West Ashley, the Centex development you referred to is Carolina Bay, which is slated to have 1,500 homes, if I'm not mistaken. The Long Savannah project should indeed annex into the city this year, providing an additional 3,000 homes.

The growth rate got slowed a bit, but all signs point to substantial growth in the next couple of years. Keep in mind that there is a big donut hole the city wants to acquire in the Cainhoy area...let's see what happens there.

you know what would be nice is if charleston county's other cities, towns, etc were all consilidated under the city of charleston....like they did in jacksonville and duval county, fl. i think it would help with public safety, schools, property taxes, taxes in general. i think that if the county was consilidated our leaders can really look at what to do to make charleston a better place, than having all the other municipalities working against each other instead of with each other...especially north charleston.

^ Hopefully if the 3rd incorporation of the rest of James Island gets thrown out, Chas can make some more annexation gains on the island. As for West Ashley, the Centex development you referred to is Carolina Bay, which is slated to have 1,500 homes, if I'm not mistaken. The Long Savannah project should indeed annex into the city this year, providing an additional 3,000 homes.

The growth rate got slowed a bit, but all signs point to substantial growth in the next couple of years. Keep in mind that there is a big donut hole the city wants to acquire in the Cainhoy area...let's see what happens there.

Long Savannah is in limbo right now. Charleston has agreed to work with the county's Urban Growth Boundary, so there is no possibility of the city stabbing the county in the back (like North Charleston would do in a heartbeat). Hollywood could possibly follow North Charleston's lead and annex Long Savannah first, but Hollywood doesn't have the water and sewer lines the project needs. I think in the long run, the project will be vastly scaled down before it is annexed into the city of Charleston.

The Long Savannah developer has said they will annex to Charleston, plus it would be difficult for Hollywood to get contigiuos to the site. The housing slowdown may elongate the Long Savannah timeline, but I doubt the total number of units would change on that basis. The urban boundary issue and Red Top community opposition might result in some reuctions/changes though.

^ I know it's hard to believe a developer can't get everything he wants (or more) in this county, but I think this development really is behind the eight ball. Many councilmen (and councilwoman) have said they won't approve Long Savannah. In response, the developers pledged to scale down their plans until they reached a point where they wouldn't have to widen Bear Swamp Road. More recently, there was a rumor reported in the P&C that the Parks & Rec. Department was in negotiations to buy more than half the parcel and turn it into the largest park in the county. It was stated that the developers were hoping this deal would earn them good will with the county council for approval of a scaled-down development.

St. Andrews PSD and Recreation District ponder merger

This illustrates that the only reason the PSD and recreation district continue to exist is that they provide job justification (or really duplication) for the employees. I wish the PSD/Recreation District and the city would just negotiate a deal so that the PSD and Rec. district go away but the employees get absorbed by the city. I think that North Charleston did something like that with the PSD they competed with in the '80's or '90's.

Archived