Observation tower Uptown?

Charlotteman

Lots of UP folks have been mentioning the new WB project's potential of incorporating an observation area at it's highest point. Lots of cities have them---Toronto and Seattle for example.

If private enterprise in Charlotte doesn't initiate it, should the city itself build an observation tower Uptown? Would the people of Charlotte support the expenditures necessary to build one?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so either. The only thing worth seeing is the uptown skyline. It isn't like we have mountains (short of a couple) within view. And most housing units with a certain elevation and orientation can see the skyline in the central part of the city.

I like the idea of an observation deck going at the top of the "skywindow" or handle of the Wachovia building. I couldn't imagine why the bank wouldn't do that, as they could very easily use the same security that serves the bankers during the business day to check the tourists after hours. That is, they could limit the observation deck hours to evening and weekend hours, when the building is not full. It would be a way to make the lobby and elevators of the tower useful in off hours. (Not that investment bankers have 'off' hours).

I'd say it would only make sense if they incorporate a lot of retail at the base and a handful of high end and touristy restaurants at the observation level. Not that Charlotte is anywhere near on par with Sydney, but the skytower there is self sustaining and has little to see besides the rest of the city outside of a small bit of coastline ten miles to the east. It's just kinda cool to be able to look out over the city. Heck, I'm guilty of going up in the Atkins Library tower at UNCC just to look at the different areas of northeast Charlotte. Sadly, I've done this more than actually utilizing the library for anything else.

I do agree with the idea of private enterprise building an observation deck rather than the city, but at the same time, either way it would be another cool tourist attraction for the NASCAR fans to visit.

An observation area at the top of WB's new tower is obviously the most popular idea on UP.

WB should consider this very seriously. It would be like a gift to the city, and would have to be great for the bank's image. It could be a win-win situation from a PR point of view.

I'm not sure I agree with the posters who think the view might not be so spectacular outside the skyline perspective. The view might be better than folks here think. In Seattle, where views are the big thing, so called "territorial views" are essentially views without mountains, water or skyline. But territorial views are highly sought after anyway. Even if you're just looking at homes and streets in the distance, it's still cool as hell:)

Yeah, I remember when I visited Seattle this summer my gf's mom was talking very highly about the "view" houses like it was the greatest thing in the world. True, the views are very nice in the area and it would be preferable to have a view of the Puget Sound or Mt. Rainier, however I could not justify spending $500,000 more on a house just because it has a view.

Living in a view home in Seattle/Puget Sound is truly wonderful. At my last home in Bremerton, Washington (across the Sound from Seattle) I had water, mountain and territorial views.

Of the three I think I liked the territorial view best. Even though the homes in the view were very very modest, it was so fun seeing the lights from all the houses twinkling at night in the distance.

A view home in Bremerton with all four types of views (water, mountain, Mt. Rainier and territorial) costs MUCH less than $500,000:)

perhaps Charlotte doesn't have the geographic potential to have the same kinds of views. The views Uptown surely are the best in the city.

I dont think the city should be putting money into something like that. I would rather see an obersvation floor on the top of a new tower (think empire state building) than one of those space needle things. But either way, it needs to be done in the private sector.

Living in a view home in Seattle/Puget Sound is truly wonderful. At my last home in Bremerton, Washington (across the Sound from Seattle) I had water, mountain and territorial views.

Of the three I think I liked the territorial view best. Even though the homes in the view were very very modest, it was so fun seeing the lights from all the houses twinkling at night in the distance.

A view home in Bremerton with all four types of views (water, mountain, Mt. Rainier and territorial) costs MUCH less than $500,000:)

perhaps Charlotte doesn't have the geographic potential to have the same kinds of views. The views Uptown surely are the best in the city.

I think the city should invest in this kind of attraction. St. Louis for example is known for the arch (and it's in the very flat mid-west), Seattle has the Space Needle, Toronto has the CN tower, and many cities have huge ferris wheels that draw in thousands/week. Unfortunately the Charlotte city government feels that investing in sports arenas are a better for the city so there isn't going to be money for something like this.

How much do ya'll think a CN Tower type observation structure would cost these days to build Uptown---- say 100 feet taller than BofA Corp Tower? Hypothetically on land donated by an altruistic Uptown visionary:)

Along with the NASCAR museum, an Uptown observation tower would be an attraction that would pull in Joe Sixpack and his family. The new museums on South Tryon will pull in a different clientel, who would also enjoy the tower.

I feel an attraction like this would help expand Uptown's cultural and social diversity by leaps and bounds.

How does an observation tower expand a place's cultural and social diversity? Also, how exactly are these observation towers at the ground level? Do they tend to have street level retail?

I'd be much happier with a shorter office tower going in to a spot uptown that is about 10 blocks away from the skyline, and then have do something like a Bentley27 on the top.

Most of the tall towers in the world have 'observation' as a secondary use. The primary use for those is broadcasting TV to a wider audience. With the ubiquity of cable and satellite television, I don't really see a broadcaster taking on the costs of such a tall tower.

yes, that's exactly what I meant:)

NASCAR Hall of Fame Museum will help diversify Uptown, by bringing in folks who might not come into the city for the other museums or the other cultural events. Uptown needs to be culturally accessible for all types of people. So many of the new attractions and developments will basically appeal to the middle class and up.

Social and cultural diversity Uptown is absolutely crucial for a successful CBD. An observation tower would bridge the gap of socio-economic groups, because everyone of every stripe would want to go up and see the city!

How does an observation tower expand a place's cultural and social diversity? Also, how exactly are these observation towers at the ground level? Do they tend to have street level retail?

I'd be much happier with a shorter office tower going in to a spot uptown that is about 10 blocks away from the skyline, and then have do something like a Bentley27 on the top.

Most of the tall towers in the world have 'observation' as a secondary use. The primary use for those is broadcasting TV to a wider audience. With the ubiquity of cable and satellite television, I don't really see a broadcaster taking on the costs of such a tall tower.

What is there to see from the Carowinds tower? People still go up it out of curiosity. I think if there was a public deck, it would get used. (Would probably also attract some suicides, but that's another topic... )

Archived