Observation tower Uptown?

Charlotteman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the actual straight line distance to Grandfather is about 81.5 miles.

I'm in favor of an Observation Tower, I don't necessarly think you need to have a mountain to look at.

Dallas is a good case to prove this.

Besides I don't think you'd even know Grandfather Mountain if you could see it from a 900' tower. Considering the horizon line would be about 65 miles from the tower (on a clear day), Grandfather would barely be a blip on the horizon.

• 1 year later...

To drag back up this old topic.

Portland had a design competition for redeveloping a public building in its Waterfront Park. Most designs were very conservative, however, the below design was a bit out of the box.

SMART_TOWER_ELEVATION2.jpg

Rendering from Portland Spaces

It is a 600'+ tall observation tower/resturant, with 600 parking spaces, that is completely net zero energy efficient. It has solar panels, water reuse, and the biggest feature would be the world's first largescale application of a new type of wind turbine.

The wind power alone would be enough to power the entire tower, the entire park, AND provide energy for approximately 200 houses. The power would be added to the power grid with the developer keeping a large share of the profits but also sharing with the city/county.

The parking is fully automated, and would be the most energy efficient system available.

Here is an interview with the developer.

It looks like Portland wasn't interested in this proposal.....maybe our politicians would be more receptive?

Lastly, from the interview, it states that Portland has a goal that at least 20% of all power in its grid must be from sustainable sources by 2020...WOW!

The Eiffel Tower was often derided by the French public when it first went up. It's a great concept and would provide a much needed real tourist attraction in downtown that isn't tied to professional sports or some sort of bar/restaurant. I have mentioned in the past that something like this was needed. However I don't expect the local politicians, or rather the local uptown interests that control them, to have much interest in something like this in Charlotte.

I like some elements of that design, but maybe they can remove the foot looking thing at the bottom and it'll go back to just looking like a tower.

However, if you look at what amenities are lacking in our downtown that some places have, an observation deck is something often listed as missing. Fairly soon, the Charlotte 2020 Vision Plan process will begin, and if this if people participate and bring this up as something Charlotte SHOULD have in the next decade, then it has a strong chance of getting pursued at some point.

The Eiffel Tower was often derided by the French public when it first went up. It's a great concept and would provide a much needed real tourist attraction in downtown that isn't tied to professional sports or some sort of bar/restaurant. I have mentioned in the past that something like this was needed. However I don't expect the local politicians, or rather the local uptown interests that control them, to have much interest in something like this in Charlotte.

I forget the name, but San Antonio has one that's similar to the space needle in Seattle. I'd say it's in the ~600' ft range. They have a restaurant inside that rotates around the city every 45 minutes. It provides quite a view and the food is actually rather good. Something like this would be better off outside the loop. Of course if it did happen in Charlotte, you know a steak house would have to be inside! :rofl:

You know, boot design or not, I really think this could work in Charlotte. At that height, it would look good somewhere along N Tryon within the loop or in South End. I just don't like observation towers right in the middle of other towers for some reason.

I forget the name, but San Antonio has one that's similar to the space needle in Seattle. I'd say it's in the ~600' ft range. They have a restaurant inside that rotates around the city every 45 minutes. It provides quite a view and the food is actually rather good. Something like this would be better off outside the loop. Of course if it did happen in Charlotte, you know a steak house would have to be inside! :rofl:

^Yeah but everyone wants to say they went up onto the ESB. It's no doubt one of the most famous, if not the most famous, skyscraper in the world. (if you don't count the infamous WTC). But otherwise the point is taken. The London Eye is across the river from the more famous part of that city. And speaking of that, I would rather have something such as that instead of a static tower.

^Yeah but everyone wants to say they went up onto the ESB. It's no doubt one of the most famous, if not the most famous, skyscraper in the world. (if you don't count the infamous WTC). But otherwise the point is taken. The London Eye is across the river from the more famous part of that city. And speaking of that, I would rather have something such as that instead of a static tower.

But even those facts have nothing to do with the fact that Grandfather Mountain, due to the distance & fall of the horizon would not be a site worth seeing from a 900' tower, even if you could see it on a clear day.

However, as I stated I would like to see a Tower of this type downtown, it would be fun and good for the city.

I'd like to also point out that most days you're doing good to see Crowder's Mountain from uptown.

The Sun Dial, which sits atop the Westin Peachtree in Atlanta also rotates and has a spectacular view. Columbia has a rotating restaurant on top of Capstone House dorm at USC, but its only open to special meetings or conferences. I like the idea of a rotating restaurant though, but only if its on top of a normal building.

Archived