SC Performing Arts

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The University of South Carolina's new music series Southern Exposure has won the 2007 Chamber Music America/American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) Award for Adventurous Programming, the Columbia Star reports. They will accept the award in New York on January 13.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, Bob Jones University in Greenville hosted the 9th annual South Carolina College Honor Band, presented by the South Carolina Band Directors Association. The event seemed to be a terrific success. I attended the concert held on Saturday and was impressed by the level of musicianship compiled by so many individuals from across the state. There was a competition held on Thursday and Friday to determine who would be awarded a position in the band. The well-known LSU band director, Frank B. Wickes was the guest director for the concert.

Participating schools were:

Anderson University

Bob Jones University

Charleston Southern University

Claflin University

Clemson University

Coastal Carolina University

Columbia College

Francis Marion University

Furman University

Lander University

Limestone College

Newberry College

North Greenville University

Presbyterian College

South Carolina State University

Southern Wesleyan University

University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina / Aiken

Winthrop University

Last week, Bob Jones University in Greenville hosted the 9th annual South Carolina College Honor Band, presented by the South Carolina Band Directors Association. The event seemed to be a terrific success. I attended the concert held on Saturday and was impressed by the level of musicianship compiled by so many individuals from across the state. There was a competition held on Thursday and Friday to determine who would be awarded a position in the band. The well-known LSU band director, Frank B. Wickes was the guest director for the concert.

Participating schools were:

Anderson University

Bob Jones University

Charleston Southern University

Claflin University

Clemson University

Coastal Carolina University

Columbia College

Francis Marion University

Furman University

Lander University

Limestone College

Newberry College

North Greenville University

Presbyterian College

South Carolina State University

Southern Wesleyan University

University of South Carolina

University of South Carolina / Aiken

Winthrop University

That is exactly what shocked me. A friend of mine was actually playing in the honor band and called me up to let me know, otherwise I had no prior knowledge of the event. You'd have thought the school would have contacted local media sources to inform them. It was definitely worth mentioning on the calendars, if nothing else. :rolleyes:

Well, I have heard the SC Phil a few times and I must admit, as a muscian, i was unimpressed. :whistling: I sincerely felt that the USC symphony sounds a bit more polished. :good: I have heard several other symphonic groups and unfortunately I must admit that the SC Phil was not on parr. :dontknow: I don't mean to offend anyone, :stop: just my personal opinion. I hope that as our City grows and the State's academic Music programs get better, so will the SC Philharmonic.

Well, I have heard the SC Phil a few times and I must admit, as a muscian, i was unimpressed. I sincerely felt that the USC symphony sounds a bit more polished. :good: I have heard several other symphonic groups and unfortunately I must admit that the SC Phil was not on parr. :dontknow: I don't mean to offend anyone, :stop: just my personal opinion. I hope that as our City grows and the State's academic Music programs get better, so will the SC Philharmonic.

• 1 month later...

I meant to post this here earlier, but... well, I obviously forgot to do so.

Tomorrow evening, the Greenville Symphony Orchestra is throwing a CD release party from 5:30pm-7:00pm at Horizon Records and The Bohemian Cafe & Restaurant in downtown Greenville. They are releasing their latest recording, a compilation of performances from last season and the first half of this season. It will be a 2-disc set titled, "Russian Spectacular." Maestro Edvard Tchivzhel will be available for CD signing as well. I am excited about this party! :shades:

For more information about the GSO, check out our thread in the Greenville Coffee House forum.

This goes along with my previous post. Here is the Greenville Symphony Orchestra's new CD set. It is well worth the $15, I assure you! Of course, my copy has been signed, but you may be able to have your's signed as well, since Maestro Edvard Tchivzhel is that kind of great person. :shades:

GSO_CD_Final_01.gif

Archived