Latino students in the South

krazeeboi

An article in the NY Times describes the obstacles Latino students must overcome in trying to become part of mainstream culture and society while retaining their ethnic identity. The article specifically focuses on a high school in Georgia, but it is representative of the Southern Latino influx in general. The article is interesting, because students will be more likely to assimilate faster than their parents (I think), due to their age and sustained social interaction among their peers. However, tensions are sure to mount, particularly in smaller towns that are predominantly White and have significant Black populations as well. How is this changing the dynamic within Southern communities and specifically among members of the younger generations growing up in the South?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most younger generations (school-age kids) have friends from mutiple ethnic groups. I think where the cutoff is going to be is class, not ethnicity. There was a comment made that Frankie's car was busted up and he lived in a mobile home, while the people he "hangs" with live in big houses and drive BMW's. Those lines are going to be the lines much harder to cross moving forward, not the I'm white, hispanic, black, asian lines. IMO.

Archived