Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

Velvet Cactus deal signed following resolution of site troubles

Nearly five months after signing a purchase agreement, two New Orleans restaurateurs have closed on their $900,000 deal to acquire the vacant building on Old Hammond Highway that formerly housed the renowned Chalet Brandt gourmet restaurant and, more recently, Another Broken Egg Café. That clears the way for Herb Dyer and Rusty White—owners of The Bulldog bars on Perkins Road and in New Orleans—to redevelop the property and build on it a new 4,000-square-foot restaurant called The Velvet Cactus. "The property is going to be totally redeveloped because the building is functionally obsolete," says Mark Hebert of Kurz & Hebert Commercial Real Estate, who represented Dyer and White. "The kitchen is outdated, and everything about it is inappropriate for a restaurant today." Negotiations over the transaction stalled earlier this year because of a cell phone tower on the site that would have impeded the redevelopment. Hebert says the lot was subdivided so the tower is no longer on the property. Slated to be completed in 2013, this will be the second Velvet Cactus location for Dyer and White; they opened one early this year in New Orleans' Lakeview neighborhood. —Stephanie Riegel

Businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

Galatoire's to open next week

The long-awaited Galatoire's Bistro in the Acadian Village development has scheduled its grand opening for Tuesday and will begin regular dinner service the next evening. A media tour is set for 5 p.m. Tuesday, followed by a cocktail party–style celebration from 6 to 8 p.m. The event, which will be held inside the new restaurant and outside under tents, will feature complimentary hors d'oeuvres and music from a New Orleans jazz band. "We are working like mad to have it ready," says owner John Georges, who was in town today in preparation for next week's opening. "We got our liquor license approved yesterday, and we are expecting to get the occupancy permits tomorrow." The new Galatoire's, which resembles in design and décor the century-old French Quarter establishment, was originally scheduled to be open in time for the holidays, but ran behind because of routine construction delays. Though the bistro begins dinner service next Wednesday, it will not be open for lunch until Friday, Jan. 18. —Stephanie Riegel

Businessreport.com

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Rocco's Po-boys and Grill to open in September

Rocco's, a New Orleans-style po-boy shop, will open its second Baton Rouge location in September, according to owner Troy Moreau. The new restaurant will be housed in the former Phil's Oyster Bar on Government Street. Moreau says the location is iconic, and the Mid City revitalization prompted him to open a Rocco's there. "You won't find a more eclectic group of people or places to eat from the Jefferson Highway to South Acadian intersections," Moreau says. "This area reminds me a lot of New Orleans. It's a solid piece of old Baton Rouge. It's starting to really come around to what it used to be, where people are moving in instead of moving out." With Mid City's popularity growing, Moreau says he saw an opportunity to bring his flavor to the area. "You've got at least 30 different restaurants with all types of different foods, but there's really no place in that area that sells po-boys and New Orleans cuisine," he says. While the other Rocco's location on Drusilla Lane is a café, the Mid City location will be a grill, featuring daily plate lunches, as many as 25 menu items, live music indoors and a neighborhood bar-type feel. "We're actually shrinking the concept down," he says. "We're sticking to what we're good at. We'll introduce some live music in the evening so it can be the place where you can get some good food and hang out."—Matthew Sigur

Businessreport.com

Edited by steve3n8

• 4 weeks later...
Bistro and pasta bar plans November opening on Burbank

Breck's Bistro and Pasta Bar aims to open in early November at 3930 Burbank Drive in the space that housed a Qdoba restaurant until it closed earlier this year. Restaurant owner Breck Mapp, who has been in the restaurant business for 20 years, says the menu will feature a variety of pasta dishes—from BBQ shrimp pasta to spinach and artichoke pasta—as well as paninis and salads. Renovation on the 2,466-square-foot restaurant will begin in the coming weeks, Mapp says, and when completed it will seat roughly 85 people inside and 15 on an outdoor patio. Mapp describes the restaurant as "industrial-themed" with "a lot of hard corners." "It will have a small alcohol bar and a pasta bar where you can sit at the counter and watch the chefs at the back cooking," he says. The restaurant hopes to capitalize on its proximity to the Tiger Stadium, which is less than a mile away. "It's right off of the LSU campus and within walking distance of Tiger Stadium and Alex Box," Mapp says. "I think that the menu we've come up with definitely will cater to the LSU clientele as well as young professionals." Mapp hopes Breck's Bistro and Pasta Bar will be the "first of many." —Rachel Alexander

Businessreport.com

• 1 month later...
College Drive sees shakeup in Asian restaurant offerings

Three Asian restaurants in the College Drive area between Perkins Road and Interstate 10—Kamado's Japanese Grill and Sushi Bar, Great China and The Great Wall Restaurant—have closed within the past year, a trend which Mark Hebert of Kurz & Hebert Real Estate attributes to market oversaturation. "I think it's probably because we have quite a few of them that have opened throughout the city," Hebert says. “I think the problem now is that we have an abundance [of Asian restaurants]." That's probably just the news Carlos Antunez wants to hear. Antunez plans to open Katrachos, a Honduran restaurant, by the first of November at 4554 Bennington Ave. in the space that formerly housed Great China, which landlord M.K. Wong says closed about a year ago. Katrachos will focus on Spanish food—which is different from Tex-Mex—notes Antunez, who's originally from Honduras. Antunez moved from New Jersey to Louisiana in 2001 and says he immediately noticed the absence of true Spanish food in Baton Rouge. Hebert says the former Kamado's a few doors down is a prime location, too, though that space, at 4612 Bennington Ave., has been on the market since the spring. At least one restaurateur appears confident that there's room for one more Asian restaurant in the area. Jing Du is opening as a Japanese buffet with more than 60 menu items in the space that until recently was home to The Great Wall. —Rachel Alexander Read the full story.

Businessreport.com

That's interesting.

Anyone remember Great Wall back when it was over behind the old Service Merchandise?

It used to be really good back then. What happened? Did new management take over when it moved to the new space?

Edited by cajun

Great Wall is still open and is being renovated right now. However, they have failed multiple health inspections and maggots have been found in the food on the buffet. The place is pretty terrible IMO.

That's a shame if that's true.

It used to be pretty good about 10 years ago when it was in the old shopping center. We went once around 2007 to the new location and it was terrible. It's as if the whole place (inside and out) got dirty and the food was just not good anymore. Everything from the dining area to the parking lot was gross.

I was convinced that it couldn't have been the same management or owner.

Edited by cajun

That's a shame if that's true.

It used to be pretty good about 10 years ago when it was in the old shopping center. We went once around 2007 to the new location and it was terrible. It's as if the whole place (inside and out) got dirtier and the food was just not good anymore.

I was convinced that it couldn't have been the same management.

I really like the place in 2006, but stopped eating there shortly after. I can not find the story about the maggots, but it was reported by NBC 33 maybe four years ago? However, googling "Great Wall Baton Rouge Health Inspections" brings up many other articles regarding the unsanitary conditions of that place.

I am trying to protect my anonymity, but I've been in that kitchen recently, I won't eat there. 

Haha...I've done a couple of kitchen renovations before I got into this line of work.

I've seen many popular restaurants that had some pretty disgusting issues....everything from mold/mildew to major insect and pest infestations that became obvious after we start ripping things out.

Health code violations are part of running a restaurant. Some of the minor rules are impossible to follow, but there is no excuse for serious violations.

I'm just thinking about how often we go out for dinner in Atlanta, and how many times we've eaten food that probably wasn't safe even though it came from a seemingly good, clean establishment. I just prefer not to think about it now and assume the best unless I have a reason not to.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
BullChicks to open first La. franchise in Baton Rouge

Corpus Christi, Texas-based fast-casual restaurant chain BullChicks is planning to open its first Louisiana franchise in Baton Rouge on Coursey Boulevard early next year. "We are definitely planning on further expanding in Louisiana," says BullChicks Chief Brand Officer Narisa Samji. "This is a corporate-owned location, but we will be looking for the right franchisees to open more locations in the state." BullChicks has seen rapid growth since the first location opened in Corpus Christi in 2006, Samji says. "We started franchising in 2010, and we've actually sold development rights in about 17 states." There are currently 11 BullChicks restaurants in five states, including California, Kansas, Minnesota and South Carolina in addition to Texas—where the majority of the locations are. BullChicks will open in a 3,155-square-foot space at 11135 Coursey Blvd. The company recently submitted its initial permitting applications with the city-parish, and it is in the process of finding a contractor to begin renovations on the vacant space on Coursey—formerly home to an Arby's. "It will definitely be within about 90 days from the first of 2014," Samji says of an anticipated opening date. The BullChicks menu features burgers, chicken wings, sandwiches, wraps and salads. "I think what sets us apart is our versatile menu," Samji says. "We really go off on our variety and have something for everybody in the family." —Steve Sanoski

Businessreport.com

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"New healthy food service concept coming to Corporate

After a couple of years of planning, Fresh Kitchen—a new food service concept that features healthy meals to go—is planning to open its first location at 7474 Corporate Blvd., across from Towne Center and adjacent to Christian Street Furniture, by early May. The food store will offer over 30 breakfast, lunch and dinner to-go items for a wide range of dietary lifestyles, from vegan to paleo, says Ryan McNeil, who co-owns the business with Chef Daniel Dreher. The menu will feature generous selections of poultry, beef, bison, pork and seafood, as well as an impressive salad bar. "

http://businessreport.com/article/20140224/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140229920

Edited by dan326

"New healthy food service concept coming to Corporate

After a couple of years of planning, Fresh Kitchen—a new food service concept that features healthy meals to go—is planning to open its first location at 7474 Corporate Blvd., across from Towne Center and adjacent to Christian Street Furniture, by early May. The food store will offer over 30 breakfast, lunch and dinner to-go items for a wide range of dietary lifestyles, from vegan to paleo, says Ryan McNeil, who co-owns the business with Chef Daniel Dreher. The menu will feature generous selections of poultry, beef, bison, pork and seafood, as well as an impressive salad bar. "

http://businessreport.com/article/20140224/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140229920

Wow, and you have Modern Meals on government. Baton Rouge is finally getting some more healthy food options...shows how the young are really changing this cities environment and culture. 

Sorry I don't see how two restaurants opening equals to "environment and culture" change.

Well Louisiana is known for having that good old Southern styled comfort food, the youth of this city are demanding and creating a more active and healthy lifestyle. As a result more restaurants are opening that provide healthy food options. Thus you can say that the cities youth are changing the city environment and culture.

Well Louisiana is known for having that good old Southern styled comfort food, the youth of this city are demanding and creating a more active and healthy lifestyle. As a result more restaurants are opening that provide healthy food options. Thus you can say that the cities youth are changing the city environment and culture.[/quote

Again. I don't see how ...based on two restaurant openings in a metro of how many hundreds of thousands? Agree to disagree.

Edited by itsjustme3