Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

I haven't been there in a long time. I usually get a poboy when I get there. It's o.k. I need to try new things though, no matter where I go I'll always get : 1. a hamburger 2. a catfish or shrimp poboy or 3. fettucini pasta. Actaully The other day I went to On The Border and got southwestern chicken enchiladas. It had onion rings and spicy sauce inside of it and was delicious, but it didn't go over too well the next morning. :sick:

I am thrilled that this restaurant will be a steakhouse. I only hope that the new owners do it right. People expect a lot out of a steakhouse. The steaks at this place need to be at least as good, if not better than Chris' or Flemmings. If the steaks are that good, the restaurant will succeed (and flourish). I worry that Capitol City Grill has no experience with top quality steaks. If they simply try to use there current recipes and cooking techniques for the steaks at this new place, it will fail miserably. I hope they know that this new restaurant has to be completely new. They can't just copy large parts from Capitol City Grill and slap a more expensive price tag on it. Having said that, I would love to have an independent but still top quality steakhouse. Brennan's did it in N.O. Maybe this restaurant can do it here.

"Another element of the plan at the Shaw Center calls for converting the long-abandoned Stroube's Building on the corner of Third Street and North Boulevard into a New York-style steakhouse. Capital City Grill owner Rick Volland will own and run the establishment, which will have a bar indoors as well as on the second-floor terrace. The tentative name of the restaurant is Stroube's Chop House, in recognition of the historic building in which it will be located. "Basically it's going to be an upscale but casual steakhouse/chop house," Volland says. "We'll have a lot of booths with rich, dark wood."

Edited by Gauge

The following quote from The Advocate has me encouraged. I looked at the website for Beluga in Orlando and was very impressed. Prime steaks, seafood, and a hip, modern atmosphere with what appears to be a more prominent bar than the average restaurant. If this new restuarant models itself after Beluga, I will be very excited.

Beluga website:

Beluga

Four years and 150 prospective tenants later, Commercial Properties Development Corp. announced this morning that Capital City Grill owner Rick Volland will open an as-yet-unnamed restaurant in the former Stroube

I agree Guage. The steaks in the new place will have to be as good or even better than Flemings, Chris or Sullivans. I'm happy to see something going in that spot. Now this will be a great way to impress a date. Take in a performance at the Shaw Center, dinner at the "Stroube Chop House" and then drinks at Tsunami. All walkable! :thumbsup:

The following quote from The Advocate has me encouraged. I looked at the website for Beluga in Orlando and was very impressed. Prime steaks, seafood, and a hip, modern atmosphere with what appears to be a more prominent bar than the average restaurant. If this new restuarant models itself after Beluga, I will be very excited.

Beluga website:

Beluga

Four years and 150 prospective tenants later, Commercial Properties Development Corp. announced this morning that Capital City Grill owner Rick Volland will open an as-yet-unnamed restaurant in the former Stroube's building at Third Street and North Boulevard.

That project was one of several restaurant-related items discussed at the Downtown Development District's monthly board meeting this morning.

Commercial Properties' Camm Morton said the restaurant, which will open in about a year, may be similar to Beluga in Orlando, but whatever it is, it will be something different for downtown, much like Tsunami was when it opened at the Shaw Center for the Arts a few years ago.

Also at the meeting

-- Doctors Keith Hodges and Kevin Work said they hope to open the M Bar, a martini bar on Third Street featuring 20 different varieties of martini, in early September.

--Jack Warner said he expects to open Schlittz and Giggles on Third within six weeks, selling pizzas, Paninis and salads until 2 a.m. Monday-Saturday and midnight Sunday.

--Paul Dykes said Avoyelles Caf

Yeah Gauge, thanks for the feedback. BTW were you able to attend today's DDD Meeting??

Pretty cool a "non-bar" establishment will actually stay open til 2:00 a.m.

The entire Shaw block will be something to be proud of! That's somewhere I would take out of town friends and family to go and check-out.

Edited by richyb83

I noticed they have 2 more Raising Cane's Restaruants being built at the moment

1 on sheerwood forest blv.

and 1 on Plank Rd. next to tony's Seafood.(The 1st Canes in North Baton Rouge)

im proud to say the Baton Rouge Homegrown food chain is doing very well....they managed to spread across the U.S. and still gettin bigger as we speak!!!!!!

I noticed they have 2 more Raising Cane's Restaruants being built at the moment

1 on sheerwood forest blv.

and 1 on Plank Rd. next to tony's Seafood.(The 1st Canes in North Baton Rouge)

im proud to say the Baton Rouge Homegrown food chain is doing very well....they managed to spread across the U.S. and still gettin bigger as we speak!!!!!!

Yes I've seen the one on Plank under construction. One for the hood. :yahoo:

Welcome to the board BR Today.

Are you affiliated with the TV Show?

Hi, byrde... thanks for the welcome!

No, I am not affiliated with the television show. The show is 3 words with no .com. I am affiliated with the website which is one word with .com. :)

This place is great!

Yes welcome to the Forums BR Today!

That's good news! Cane's should be a huge success in the hood'! Could "The Yard" (Southern U.) be next?? I agree yis yis, that should be their next move there for sure!

Thanks Richy! Cane's seems to be a success everywhere they open. This should be no exception to the rule :)

Hi, byrde... thanks for the welcome!

No, I am not affiliated with the television show. The show is 3 words with no .com. I am affiliated with the website which is one word with .com. :)

This place is great!

Thanks Richy! Cane's seems to be a success everywhere they open. This should be no exception to the rule :)

Cool. Didn't know about your website. I'll have to check it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Downtown Dining

If anything were to prove that downtown Baton Rouge is grooving right along in the progress and revitalization department, its abundance of outstanding dining establishments might well be it. "

People come here to soak up the excitement of the downtown experience and check out the street life. It