Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, according to the Business Report they're shutting down On the Border to sell the land. I actually liked them. :( Hopefully they'll shut down Chili's or Las Palmas and put it there or by Zaxby's.  Maybe even where Ruby Tuesday's used to be or by Cane's. The article didn't say if they're look for a new location, so I'm just talking.

Ya know, for a town that doesn't really have any entertainment except eating we're missing a lot of restaurants.

Edited by dan326

15 hours ago, dan326 said:

Well, according to the Business Report they're shutting down On the Border to sell the land. I actually liked them. :( Hopefully they'll shut down Chili's or Las Palmas and put it there or by Zaxby's.  Maybe even where Ruby Tuesday's used to be or by Cane's. The article didn't say if they're look for a new location, so I'm just talking.

Ya know, for a town that doesn't really have any entertainment except eating we're missing a lot of restaurants.

Just curious Dan....what kind of entertainment are you talking about??

48 minutes ago, richyb83 said:

Just curious Dan....what kind of entertainment are you talking about??

Well I'm just going off the admittedly vague saying that's there's nothing to do in Baton Rouge (compared to say Houston or New Orleans, etc).  In high school I remember everyone said BR was boring but never said what made other cities exciting, lol! I guess clubs and museums and concerts.

Edited by dan326

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

It hasn't even been a year yet and it's funny seeing you wish for a chain restaurant. Man Nola food has spoiled me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lol!!! I judge a Mexican restaurant by the chips and salsa and they were the best to me.

8 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

It's not even Mexican! It's Tex-Mex! Funny, I didn't realize the difference until I went to Chicago of all places. 

I frankly remember them having good salsa though lol. I haven't gone there in years. 

I guess I didn't realize either til I went to the Latin store on Sherwood. They have a buffet and I got to see what they really eat.

On 10/6/2017 at 12:11 AM, Antrell Williams said:

It's not even Mexican! It's Tex-Mex! Funny, I didn't realize the difference until I went to Chicago of all places. 

I frankly remember them having good salsa though lol. I haven't gone there in years. 

Tex Mex is amazing if done correctly.   It's usually done horribly wrong.   On the Border is honestly very sub-par.   I'm not sure how they survived in Baton Rouge as long as they did with the Mexican and Tex-Mex offerings around town.   

Try Lupe Tortilla when you go to Houston next time.  That's the benchmark for Tex-Mex.   You're welcome.

On 9/12/2017 at 12:11 AM, dan326 said:

The spot where Ruby Tuesday used to be will be scooped up by some kind of fast food or fast casual chain.   It's a prime location with adequate parking, but there is limited footprint space for a larger restaurant.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, Antrell Williams said:

It hasn't even been a year yet and it's funny seeing you wish for a chain restaurant. Man Nola food has spoiled me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

NOLA competes in a different weight class than its size would suggest (when it comes to dining).  

Atlanta and Memphis are also very good. 

Baton Rouge, Athens, and Birmingham are also no longer pushovers when it comes to dining options anymore.   There could be more fine dining options in Baton Rouge, but the mid market is so much more stacked today than it used to be.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:06 AM, all2neat said:

That Ruby Tuesday’s spot has been empty for years.

If On The Border is out, hopefully you can get a Chuys. Way better in my opinion of the chain TexMex places.

Chuys is very popular for families and is a very good Tex Mex place.   They are actually expanding.   I went to one in northern Virginia a while back.   I saw one in Columbus and Indianapolis as well.   

Lupe Tortilla is just better in every way though. :)  

Edited by cajun

20 hours ago, dan326 said:

Yh Cajun, you're right but you know how it is sometimes when you get attached to something. I don't know if I brought it up, but they need to just fill Perkins Rowe up with different types of restaurants so it can be more lively.

I definitely understand that.    There is one restaurant in south Louisiana that my parents have been going to since the 1960s.   Their long time waiter died 5 years ago.    My wife and I go to the same place every time we are in town, but we don't go frequently enough that they recognize us like they do with my parents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2017 at 7:40 PM, dan326 said:

A new Starbucks is going up on Oneal Lane were Texaco used to be, between Taco Bell and Waffle House.

Now we just need to get Lonestar and Wendy's redeveloped.

It will happen.   Those spots have a lot of visibility. 

• 1 month later...

New sports bar and grill, Creole restaurant coming to Third Street downtown

Principals from some of Baton Rouge’s most popular new eateries are teaming up to open two new establishments downtown in the building at 421 Third St.—a sports bar and grill, and a traditional Creole restaurant with a high-end private event space on its second floor.

Dustin Malina, formerly the general manager at Overpass Merchant, is leading the team. His partners include Kalurah Street Grill co-owner Brad Watts and Jolie Pearl Oyster Bar general manager Eric Carnegie. Together, they plan to open The Bengal Tap Room, a sports bar and grill that will be located in the 3,000-square-foot space formerly occupied by The Draft House, which closed in late October.

Adjacent to the bar, the partners are planning to open a traditional Creole restaurant, Cecilia, in the 3,000-square-foot space most recently occupied by Restaurant IPO, which closed in 2016. Above Cecilia, in the space that was once home to The Office bar and, more recently, The Break Room, will be a 6,000-square-foot private event space called The Loft at Cecilia that will be available for receptions, luncheons and corporate parties.

Renovations to The Bengal Tap Room have been underway for several weeks and the bar is on track to open before the end of the year. Cecilia and The Loft at Cecilia should open in the first quarter of 2018.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/new-sports-bar-grill-creole-restaurant-coming-third-street-downtown

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I was just complaining the other day that I knew they could find some restaurants BR didn't have to fill up Perkins Rowe.  I guess they still have space for and Italian, American, and Louisiana seafood restaurants.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_4285954e-d6d4-11e8-b966-8f70aa72e4ab.html

Fast-growing ramen chain plans Perkins Rowe location in Baton Rouge

Jinya Ramen Bar, which has been identified by an industry publication as one of the fastest-growing restaurant chains in the U.S., plans to open a Perkins Rowe location in the spring.

Jinya has listed a Perkins Rowe location as “coming soon." A spokeswoman for Perkins Rowe said it had nothing to announce about the restaurant.