Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

Can't wait for them to open:tw_yum::tw_cookie:

Chase Bank branch going from dollars to doughnuts | Business | theadvocate.com

A former Chase Bank branch on O’Neal Lane has been sold to the owner of two local doughnut shops.

Peou Toch, who owns the Town Donuts locations in Central and Zachary, bought the bank branch at 1312 O’Neal Lane for $382,000 in a deal that closed last week, according to documents filed with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s office.

The deal includes a 1,568-square foot building sitting on nearly an acre at the intersection of O’Neal and Centurion Avenue.

20 hours ago, dan326 said:

Can't wait for them to open:tw_yum::tw_cookie:

Chase Bank branch going from dollars to doughnuts | Business | theadvocate.com

A former Chase Bank branch on O’Neal Lane has been sold to the owner of two local doughnut shops.

Peou Toch, who owns the Town Donuts locations in Central and Zachary, bought the bank branch at 1312 O’Neal Lane for $382,000 in a deal that closed last week, according to documents filed with the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s office.

The deal includes a 1,568-square foot building sitting on nearly an acre at the intersection of O’Neal and Centurion Avenue.

Never been, but I guess I'll have to try. 

Their location in Central looks like it used to be a bank branch.  

I think Central has more donut shops per capita in Louisiana than any other place lol:lol:   .....Interesting spot there on O'Neal Lane!

Seems almost anything in BR that gets too big needs to relocate to larger places like Dallas ; Houston; Atlanta; Nashville ; Charlotte ; etc..frustrating to be stuck in a status quo mid-sized city.

Walk-On’s new Atlanta office serves as warning for Baton Rouge

https://www.businessreport.com/newsletters/jr-ball-walk-ons-new-atlanta-office-serves-as-warning-for-baton-rouge

Sure, Brandon Landry, the company’s founder and CEO, put a wonderful spin on the news. Sounding like a politician stumping for votes, the former LSU basketball walk-on turned All-America entrepreneur made it clear the company will remain based in Baton Rouge, adding, “Louisiana will always be the heartbeat and home of our brand.”

However, the most telling words he said—at least from the Baton Rouge point of view—were these: “… but our incredible growth and vision to be more than a restaurant demands that we do everything possible to field a best-in-class team across all areas of business.”

Translation: Baton Rouge is great if you’re looking for tap-pulling bartenders, midriff-bearing waitresses and clever marketing folks, but when it comes to high-level, brainiac executives with franchise-building credentials then Atlanta is the place you want to be.  

It’s the same nuance-filled story Todd Graves spun in 2009, with the chicken tender king saying the Raising Cane’s headquarters would remain in Baton Rouge even though most of its existing and newly hired C-suite executives would work from the company’s corporate office in Plano, just north of Dallas.

Let’s be clear, this is no criticism of Walk-On’s or Raising Cane’s. The reality of the business they’ve chosen is franchise foodie executives cluster in a handful of cities and the only way they’ll join your payroll is by bringing the job to them. 

From the broader Baton Rouge perspective, however, the Walk-On’s announcement is simply the latest example of talented, highly educated people either not moving here or—as has been the case for years—leaving the area for a hotspot destination shortly after earning their TOPS-funded degree from LSU or Southern University. 

This outmigration is a problem with far-reaching and long-term impacts on the quality of life and economy of Baton Rouge, Ball writes. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, dan326 said:

Yup. I saw that headline, I think we're past the "warning" stage though.

This is frustrating.   They aren't moving to New Orleans to get access to a better airport.   They are moving to Atlanta and Dallas specifically as a means to get out of the area to help them recruit talent.   

I can't overstate how incredibly important it is for Louisiana to shift focus towards infrastructure development and economic development.   We need another couple of recruits like DXE and IBM here.   Even if they are just service centers.    And we need to stop the decline of our cities by addressing the skyrocketing crime and refocus our efforts to develop and improve downtown an the surrounding areas as a top priority.

• Like 4

...Tsunami put the hip in downtown dining on the Shaw Center for the Arts rooftop deck....

But the 2nd (new) location is at the interesting mixed-use Highland development ...When this is all complete will need to go check it out! Interesting property location adjacent  to the Bluebonnet Swamp!

Judging by the Renderings on the website the this building could be 4 or 5 stories?

Tsunami plans second Baton Rouge location, see where it will be

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_6d971aa8-8ddf-11ec-bac4-cbdd78e8a3b1.html

The upscale nature of Tsunami and its sleek design align with the goals of making @Highland a technology campus, Chadwick said. The owners of the restaurant also like the idea that the two locations are on opposite sides of the city, which allows Tsunami to serve the whole market.

@Highland had been looking for a tenant that would bring high-end restaurant service to the Highland-Bluebonnet area. “We think Tsunami does that quite well,” Chadwick said.

Tsunami also has locations in Lafayette and New Orleans.

With the Tsunami deal, all of the retail space in @Highland has been claimed. Work is set to start soon on a second building, which will feature up to 240 apartments and 25,000 square feet of commercial and office space.

PHASE TWO Announcement Coming Soon

https://athighland.com/

Edited by richyb83

New Orleans’ iconic hot dogs come to Baton Rouge via new downtown location

https://www.225batonrouge.com/food-drink/new-orleans-iconic-hot-dogs-come-baton-rouge-via-new-downtown-location

The frankfurter-shaped Lucky Dogs hot dog stand, a New Orleans staple traditionally available on late nights in the French Quarter, has made its way up the Mississippi River to downtown Baton Rouge.

The stand, located in front of Downtown Grocery at the corner of Third and Florida streets, opened the evening of Friday, Feb. 11

https://d1dxs113ar9ebd.cloudfront.net/225batonrouge/2022/02/LuckyDogs-5.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Shed announces BR location opening date

https://www.wafb.com/2022/05/25/shed-announces-br-location-opening-date/

The Shed Barbeque and Blues Joint is scheduled to officially open in Baton Rouge next month.

The Shed location in Ocean Springs, Mississippi is a favorite stop for many Louisianians who drive through that area.

Luke Forstmann, the owner of the new location on Burbank Drive in Baton Rouge, said their goal is to have their grand opening on June 13.

The sign for the new location was put up earlier this week, replacing the sign for “The Oasis” restaurant that recently closed. The volleyball portion of that business remains open.

Southern Living magazine named The Shed one of The South’s Best Barbeque locations earlier this year.

The Baton Rouge location is currently hiring employees. Forstmann said applications are being accepted in person at their location at 7477 Burbank Drive.

The Shed Barbeque and Blues Joint is scheduled to officially open in Baton Rouge next month.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, richyb83 said:

The Shed announces BR location opening date

https://www.wafb.com/2022/05/25/shed-announces-br-location-opening-date/

The Shed location in Ocean Springs, Mississippi is a favorite stop for many Louisianians who drive through that area.

Luke Forstmann, the owner of the new location on Burbank Drive in Baton Rouge, said their goal is to have their grand opening on June 13.

The sign for the new location was put up earlier this week, replacing the sign for “The Oasis” restaurant that recently closed. The volleyball portion of that business remains open.

Southern Living magazine named The Shed one of The South’s Best Barbeque locations earlier this year.

The Baton Rouge location is currently hiring employees. Forstmann said applications are being accepted in person at their location at 7477 Burbank Drive.

That location isn't really a shed. 

They should re brand it to "The Self Storage Building" or "The Gym" - although both might allude to it being an establishment that targets the LGBT community, where "The Shed" is pretty much for everyone except vegans.

Edited by cajun

• 2 months later...

I will be driving through BR later in the month about lunch time where is good place to get shrimp po boy and a cup of gumbo?  Heading east from Houston onward to Ocean Springs MS but i do like to eat local.  Needs to be pretty convenient to I-10 or I-12.   I might even spin around downtown and go atop the Capitol if it is opened. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I will be driving through BR later in the month about lunch time where is good place to get shrimp po boy and a cup of gumbo?  Heading east from Houston onward to Ocean Springs MS but i do like to eat local.  Needs to be pretty convenient to I-10 or I-12.   I might even spin around downtown and go atop the Capitol if it is opened. 

Welcome to Baton Rouge!   My recommendation is sort of dependent on where you decide to get off I-10, but here it goes:  

• If you are stopping downtown - try Poor Boy Lloyds, but note that their hours have been truncated since Covid.     This isn't my favorite place to get lunch in town, but it's solid and it's really convenient if you are already downtown.
  • If you stop before getting to Baton Rouge on the west side - Bayou Bistro in Brusly is really good.    It's easy to get to from I-10, as it's right off LA1.     It gets pretty busy with all the industrial facilities in that area.   It's popular for a good reason.
  • If you are near LSU in the city, The Chimes is my favorite.   It's on Highland and Chimes Street right across from LSU's north gates - probably easiest to get there via Dalrymple Drive exit from I-10.    I love The Chimes.
  • I haven't been to Parrain's, but I have heard great things.   It's right up against I-10 on Perkins - which is also next to Acme Oyster House.   I'm definitely a fan of Acme.  
  • Walk On's near Town Center is a decent spot if you are stopping near I-10/I-12 - but you can get Walk On's in a lot of cities now.   The original Walk On's is actually right south of LSU on Burbank.  
  • Dempsy's is my favorite on the east side of town (Coursey Blvd).  It's a very casual place in a suburban neighborhood that's otherwise filled with chains.
  • Most of the new Government Street restaurants are really good, but I really like Bistro Byronz.     It's on the eastern side of mid city, so it's probably easiest to get there via Acadian from I-10.
  • If you are passing through town towards New Orleans - Hot Tails in Prarieville is excellent.   It's run by a couple that has been featured on the Food Network.    Their suburban Prarieville location is the second Hot Tails and their first stab at the Baton Rouge area (the original is in New Roads, LA near False River).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 10:30 AM, KJHburg said:

Thanks and I have been to Acme in NOLA before and it was great.   I will check some of these others out. 

How could I have forgotten about Juban's? 

They just renovated, and they are right off I-10 at Acadian:  https://jubans-restaurant.squarespace.com/lunch-and-dinner/#lunch-and-dinner-menu

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 11:30 AM, KJHburg said:

Thanks and I have been to Acme in NOLA before and it was great.   I will check some of these others out. 

I did indeed eat a lunch at Acme today but since I come through this area yearly will try some of the others next time.  And any restaurant being in business for over 100 years has to be good.  

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/what-restaurant-is-coming-to-highland-and-lee/article_82dfe498-ce8f-11ed-8f22-371ca429e3ea.html

What restaurant is coming to the intersection of Highland and Lee?

The property at 5295 Highland had been a Circle K.

This will be the fourth Cava in Baton Rouge.

The fast-casual Mediterranean chain acquired Zoe's Kitchen in 2018 and is rebranding the three local restaurants.

• 1 month later...

What a cool story!  Got to support these guys! Rooting for them!

Almost posted in the Mid City thread.

Fraternity Brothers Open New Restaurant

https://www.thelouisianaweekend.com/2023/05/31/fraternity-brothers-open-new-restaurant/

There is a new restaurant specializing in hot wings now open at Electric Depot in Baton Rouge.   Avery Bell, Corey McCoy, Jared Johnson, and Tre’Jan Vinson, fraternity brothers and members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity are the owners of KOK Wings & Things, a restaurant specializing in chicken wings and loaded fries.  They also sell a variety of appetizers, fish, and shrimp.  KOK is a acronym for Kitchen On Klinton.   The owners began their restaurant journey on Clinton street.  The use a stylistic “K” as an homage to Kappa Alpha Psi.

The Baton Rouge location is the third location for KOK Wings & Things.  They also have locations in Lafayette and New Iberia.

Before entering the restaurant, you will see a bright orange and red color scheme and a large patio with ample seating.  As soon as you walk inside of the restaurant, the staff shouts “Welcome to KOK”.  There is a full bar and a to-go waiting area.  We spoke with two of the owners Corey McCoy and Tre’Jan Vinson who shared their excitement for the new location as well as their appreciation for their warm reception in Baton Rouge.

Edited by richyb83

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...