Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

Chipotle won't touch our market....they know their competitor in this region, Moe's, was put out of business by a local.

Be proud of Izzo's Illegal Burrito. They are better than Chipotle anyways. I lived right next to a Chipotle in Houston for a while and thought it tasted too much like Moe's. There are much better choices in Baton Rouge and certainly better choices in Houston.

Taste is subjective, though....

Edited by cajun

Other than Kona grill, has anyone tried the restarants in Perkins Rowe?

Kona grill reminds me of Bonefish grille, which is kind of a let down. Sammy's on highland is better in every way, but this is South Louisiana...can't expect these national chains to impress us with their seafood.

I may be the only person on here who desperately wants a Chipotle restaurant in BR, but i thought I'd post this.

I e-mailed Chipotle and told them they need to get here quick. Noting that BR is rapidly expanding and would make the perfect market for them. Here was their response

<_<

At least they didn't BS ya and were honest about what it takes versus the typical fluff email most corporations do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Acme Oyster House opening Sept. 5

Just in time for LSU football season, Acme Oyster House is opening Sept. 5 on Perkins Road at the former Acadian Village Shopping Center, a manager at the New Orleans restaurant said today. The opening date is the Friday before LSU

• 3 weeks later...

Wondered how long this vacant property would last....nearby the spaces along the Siegen corridor are filling up with with the large The Bristol apt. complex and Holiday Inn Express

From barbecue to barbecue: TJ Ribs looking to buy Smokey Bones building

TJ Ribs is interested in the empty Smokey Bones building on Siegen Lane and opening a second location of the popular local barbecue restaurant. Officials with TJ Moran Restaurants, which owns TJ Ribs, say negotiations to buy the property are ongoing, but no contracts had been signed yet. The company has applied for a liquor license for TJ's Rib & Chop House at the Siegen location. The Smokey Bones building has been empty since May 2007, when the barbecue chain shut down 54 restaurants.

Australia-themed restaurant to open on Coursey

' Dingo's, an Australia-themed restaurant, is scheduled to open at the end of November in the former Semolina location on Coursey Boulevard just west of South Sherwood Forest Boulevard. Patrick Muller, who operated a restaurant in Perth, Australia, before moving to Baton Rouge, is the owner. Although the Dingo's menu is still being developed, Muller says it will feature dishes such as fish tacos and paninis, including one with turkey, brie and fig spread. Coursey has turned into a restaurant draw recently, with The Chimes East and Walk-On's bringing in good crowds. Muller says he wants to tap into nearby businesses for the lunch crowd and families and couples for dinner. And he's not worried about a better-known Australian-themed casual dining restaurant. "We want to keep it very, very real with a funky feel," he says. "If you see something up on the wall, then you know there will be a story behind it." '

Wondered how long this vacant property would last....nearby the spaces along the Siegen corridor are filling up with with the large The Bristol apt. complex and Holiday Inn Express

From barbecue to barbecue: TJ Ribs looking to buy Smokey Bones building

TJ Ribs is interested in the empty Smokey Bones building on Siegen Lane and opening a second location of the popular local barbecue restaurant. Officials with TJ Moran Restaurants, which owns TJ Ribs, say negotiations to buy the property are ongoing, but no contracts had been signed yet. The company has applied for a liquor license for TJ's Rib & Chop House at the Siegen location. The Smokey Bones building has been empty since May 2007, when the barbecue chain shut down 54 restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This some good news as it relates to Louisiana restaurants.

Cane's, Zea make hot chain list

Two Louisiana-based companies appear on a list of what diners think will be the next big restaurant chain. Raising Cane's and Zea Rotisserie and Grill made the AOL list, which was based on responses from the public. Cane's has more than 70 locations across the U.S., while New Orleans-based Zea has 12 restaurants along the Gulf Coast. See the full list here.

• 4 weeks later...

In former Portobello's location:

Sangria's Bar & Grill is now open in the former Portobello's Grill location on West Lee Drive. The building became vacant in the summer, when Portobello's moved into the Bocage Village Shopping Center.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Everyone come visit me at Portobello's sometime, it's my part time job, haha ;)

In former Portobello's location:

Sangria's Bar & Grill is now open in the former Portobello's Grill location on West Lee Drive. The building became vacant in the summer, when Portobello's moved into the Bocage Village Shopping Center.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Everyone come visit me at Portobello's sometime, it's my part time job, haha ;)

• 3 months later...

Just FYI.

Im working at Stroube's waiting tables. To make a long story short we are opening friday the 24th, or saturday the 25th. I am really excited about the resturant. All of the products are made in house, and NOTHING other then fresh ingrediants are shipped to the resturant. Also, as many local farmers as possible were used for providing fresh produce. So please come in and try it out, when we open, and support a new downtown business, just remember to ask for "Steven" and tell me you are from UP!

^Thanks for the head's up! That's cool....I really support downtown! It's the heart-n-soul of the city!! Will have to check-it out at least by sometime this Summer! I'll be sure to ask for Steve :thumbsup: Really wish the original 2-story plan would have stuck from that rendering; serving as a gateway to Third Street; but it still looks nice!

• 4 weeks later...

Good for Chef Varnedoe; former Belaire-grad! What is moderately priced "upscale" mean?? The renovation of the Kress sure looks great!! I would like to check-out the roof-top terrace. Only wish the little box-theatre would have been part of the mix. Encouraging to see more residential units added downtown.

Now that end of Third Street needs an "anchor" entertainment destination adjacent to the Kress; like the Plan BR proposal...