Baton Rouge Restaurants

byrde

^ Lol, that's what I thought. On the upside, I read that the national stock of restuarants fell 1%, about 5,300 units. So for us to be building a new national restaurant is a testament to B.R.'s economic strength(and obesity rankings )

Edited by dan326

I wonder how receptive people here will be to red lobster, hopefully it works out well enough for them. I know personally, for the price I'd rather go spend a few extra bucks at Louisiana Lagniappe or other fine local establishments. The only thing to note is that red lobster by lakeside mall in metarie is typically very busy, I figure tourists and drive through traffic don't know any better.

Edited by all2neat

• 1 month later...

They bring a little hype with them..might have to check it out!

Five Guys sets opening date for B.R. location

Five Guys Burgers and Fries is set to open its first Louisiana location in Towne Center on Oct. 4, according to franchise owner Billy Jacob. The burger restaurant will be situated between Books-A-Million and Zea Rotisserie & Grill. Consumer Reports released a ranking of the top hamburger chains Tuesday in which Five Guys was tied for the top spot with In-N-Out Burger. Last month Zagat judged the Virginia-based chain No. 1 for making burgers.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

"PJ's Coffee plans Siegen location

PJ's Coffee of New Orleans is set to open a location on Siegen Lane, where Camille's Sidewalk Café once was. Ironically, that space was once occupied by Starbucks Coffee. PJ's has put up banners and signs on the site, but the company did not respond to requests about an opening date. This will be the fifth PJ's in Baton Rouge; a Gonzales location is also in the works."

"Mexican restaurant owners buy old Calendar's site

The owners of Ahuuas Mexican Restaurants have purchased the old Calendar's site on Perkins Road. Eduardo Rodriguez, who co-owns Ahuuas with Yemi Perez, says the plans are to open the second location this fall. "We're still working on permits, so we don't have a date yet," he says. Ahuuas has been open on Jones Creek Road near Shenandoah since 2006. While Baton Rouge has a number of local Mexican restaurants, there aren't any around Perkins and Essen intersection. Rodriguez says Ahuuas will fill that niche. "That area has grown up a lot in the last couple of years," he says. While the Perkins location will have the same menu as the original restaurant, Rodriguez says, Ahuuas will target the businesses and medical clinics in the area with to-go trays. The old Calendar's location became vacant in January when the restaurant closed."

businessreport.com

• 1 month later...

Subway plans Jefferson Village location

Subway has inked a deal to open a location on Jefferson Highway. The sandwich chain will move into the Jefferson Village shopping center, next to Louis DeAngelo's, says Mark Hebert of Kurz & Hebert Commercial Real Estate. Hebert says this Subway restaurant is slated to open early in 2011. Subway has 50 locations in Baton Rouge and is set to open locations on North Acadian Thruway and on Airline Highway near Earl K. Long Medical Center

"Rotolo's planning Millerville Road location

Rotolo's Pizzeria is planning to open a new location on Millerville Road next year. Mitch Rotolo, founder of the company, says he just acquired the land and intends to break ground soon. He expects to employ up to 30 workers at the new location. The company has opened five restaurants this year, including one that recently opened in Belle Chasse; that brings its current locations total to 13. More growth is likely in the next two years: Rotolo says he is considering markets on the Northshore, such as Slidell and Mandeville. The company has three other franchises in southeast Louisiana; its first out-of-state franchise is slated to open in three weeks in Arizona. "Our customers have been responding well to our products," Rotolo says. "They've been giving back to us, so why not keep opening locations if it's working?" "

businessreport.com

• 3 weeks later...

"Perkins Rowe adding restaurants

A new frozen yogurt shop and a photography studio are set to open in Perkins Rowe within a month, and officials with the mixed-use center say they are close to signing deals to bring in two new restaurants. Reflections Photography Studio is set to open by Dec. 1, says Rick Balow, general manager of Perkins Rowe. Reflections will be located next to the Levi’s Store. Red Mango, a frozen yogurt shop, is aiming to open by mid-December. This will be the first Baton Rouge location for Red Mango, which was founded in South Korea. Balow says he’s very close to signing deals with a regional fast/casual chain and with a national bar and grill. Both of those restaurants will occupy vacant spaces along Bluebonnet Boulevard."

"Caterie not coming back; Lafayette burger restaurant eyes Acadian-Perkins

The Caterie, a live music landmark, is not reopening in the Acadian-Perkins Plaza shopping center, destroyed in a New Year’s Day fire. Bob Claitor, co-owner of the shopping center, says he’s negotiating with other taverns to move into the Caterie's former space. Claitor says he had hoped to bring the restaurant and bar back into the center.

One tenant that could be moving into Acadian-Perkins is Burgersmith, an upscale Lafayette hamburger restaurant. Claitor says he expects to sign a lease this week with the restaurant. The plan is for Burgersmith to move into the old AT&T space and install a drive-through window wrapping around to face Acadian Thruway. Plans are for the restaurant to extensively remodel the space. "They have a high level of standards," he says. This will be the second location for Burgersmith, which has a restaurant in Lafayette’s River Ranch development. AT&T will also move back into the center, taking up a spot at the corner of Acadian and Perkins."

from businessreport.com

Edited by dan326

• 6 months later...

"Wampold, DeAngelo to partner on downtown bistro

Louis DeAngelo is set to open a bistro and wine bar in the II City Plaza office building by mid-July. Zolia will be a casual, upscale Italian bistro and wine bar, which will be open for breakfast and lunch and offer Italian-style tapas and antipasto selections in the evening. The restaurant will be open Monday through Friday and on weekends for special events. DeAngelo says he came up with the idea for the restaurant four years ago and started talking with II City Plaza developer Mike Wampold last year about going into the building. The two have partnered on the project. "I've admired Mike's business and community leadership for quite some time, and when the idea for us to collaborate on the project came up, it felt right," DeAngelo says. Zolia will be about 2,400 square feet in size, with access to the portico between City Plaza and II City Plaza. The executive chef for Zolia, Mike Darden, is working on the new bistro's menu."

businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

I rode by Red Lobster the other day and it was packed. I'm sure its being new had something to do with it, but I also have a feeling chains like Chili's and Joe's helped aclimate B.R. to chain restuarants.

Pretty sure if Joes or Chilis weren't here we'd still have a lot of chain restaurants. Just sayin.

Old news from Tuesday...just hard to believe that from the original Cane's at Northgates to now 100 restuarants across the U.S!

Cane's will mark 100th store opening with giveaways

Raising Cane's will open its 100th restaurant Tuesday, and to celebrate hitting the milestone, the chicken tender chain will be giving out free meals. The first 100 customers who arrive at each Cane's restaurant will get a free box combo. Each restaurant will hold a drawing for a year's worth of free meals. Cane's will open all of the restaurants at 9:30 a.m. to handle the crowds. The 100th location will be in Laurel, Miss. Cane's says it plans to open 19 more restaurants in 2011, including its first location in Arizona

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2011/jun/03/2280/

Didn't Canes move their headquarters to Dallas last year? I lost respect for them once they did that.

I don't think they had much choice, The educated stock of people looking for work in BR is to be desired. They have a much better shot in Dallas. I can't say I blame them. It's sad to me but that's the current way things are because of our lack of education in this area. It's hard to recruit people to move because of the perceptions of Louisiana. It doesn't matter if they are true or not but the perception is we are a crime ridden hurricane flood zone. That's what a lot of people not from this area think of us.

They're putting an Applebee's by Orvis at Perkins Rowe. It's funny how they turned down that Belks because its wasn't upscale enough but I guess they realize what town they're in and decided to loosen up. I still wanna know what the big suprise was gonna be.

^Ikr. If I'm not mistaken the bank or somebody took PR away from Spinosa, so I'm guessing they're just trying to get it filled up rather than make it too fancy, which I suppose could be a good thing. I just don't understand why they couldn't petition Belk to put an upscale version like the Summit in Birmingham.