Will South be Abandoned due to Global Warming?

monsoon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In some ways i do see people migrating to the north...but then again i don't...i don't see a big change coming in the next 20 years that will make that big of a difference to where people will move away...but then again i see photos like these....

artic_19792.jpg

and i don't know what to think...the first photo is from 1979 and the second is from 2000....thats about 20 years right there....and I've seen photos of glaciers that have completely disappeared...and in a study done on the state of Alaska, the average temperature has risen 3 degrees C (= 5.4 degrees F) in the last 30 years...so i don't really know...i think we are doing more now though to prevent it than in the past..

Will the south be abandoned in 20 years? Do you seriously think that 109,000,000 people will pack their bags and move just because the average temperature is slightly hotter than it used to be?

In fact, if you look at the weather records for Nashville, there is nothing "catastrophic" going on as far as climate change.

Here is a list of months since 1950 that have been among the 10 warmest in average temperature for those months:

month: rank, year (temperature)

January: #4, 1950 (48.7); #10, 2006 (47.5)

February: #4, 1976 (50.5); #5, 1990 (49.9)

March: #8, 1967 (57.0); #10 1973 (56.8)

April: #2, 1954 (65.3); #3, 2006 (65.2); #6, 1955 (64.1); #7, 1981 (64.0); #10, 1967 (63.9)

May: #1, 1962 (75.2); #2, 1991 (74.2); #4, 1987 (73.4)

June: #1, 1952 (84.7)*; #4, 1953 (81.0)

July: #1, 1954 (84.1); #4, 1993 (83.3); #5, 1952 (83.1); #6, 1980 (82.8); #7, 1969 (82.7); #10, 1986 (82.4)

August: #1, 1995 (83.3); #2, 1983 (83.2); #7, 1954 (82.3); #8, 2006 (82.2); #10, 1988 (81.9)

September: #6, 1998 (77.1); #8, 1970 (76.9); #10, 1954 (76.8)

October: #5, 1984 (66.7); #6, 1971 (66.7)

November: #3, 1985 (56.9); #5, 1973 (54.7); #6, 1994 (54.5); #8, 2001 (54.3) #9, 1990 (54.3) #10, 1999 (54.0)

December: #2, 1956 (50.3); #4, 1984 (49.6); #6, 1973 (49.4); #7, 1994 (49.2)

*hottest month in Nashville history

Let's break this down by decade:

1950-59 - 10

1960-69 - 4

1970-79 - 6

1980-89 - 9

1990-99 - 9

2000-06 - 4

Within the last 50 years - 33

Within the last 40 years - 31

Within the last 30 years - 24

Within the last 20 years - 16

Within the last 10 years - 5

Remember that there are 120 total top 10 months (10 for each). Only 42 of them have been set since 1950 (56 years). Does anyone really think that in nearly 1/3 of that time the south will be unlivable? I think that's laughable.

4 of the 10 warmest overall years have been since 1950:

#2 - 1990 (62.1)

#3 - 1998 (61.8)

#5 - 1991 (61.4)

#9 - 1954 (61.2)

SOURCE: NOAA

Hottest summers:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ohx/climate/summer.htm

THE SKY IS FALLING!

I remember the same thing in Kentucky. I remember many days over the summer approaching 100 or more. I also remember more snow in the winter. But again, I'm going off the foggy memories from 25 years ago as well. The climate seems more moderate now for whatever reason.

However, I do believe humans are contributing to global warming. The degree to which we are contributing is up for debate.

• 2 weeks later...
In some ways i do see people migrating to the north...but then again i don't...i don't see a big change coming in the next 20 years that will make that big of a difference to where people will move away...but then again i see photos like these....

artic_19792.jpg

and i don't know what to think...the first photo is from 1979 and the second is from 2000....thats about 20 years right there....and I've seen photos of glaciers that have completely disappeared...and in a study done on the state of Alaska, the average temperature has risen 3 degrees C (= 5.4 degrees F) in the last 30 years...so i don't really know...i think we are doing more now though to prevent it than in the past..

I've heard the following on TV shows before.

Fred Singer, the first director of the United States Satellite program has another view. IF, and he emphasizes IF, global warming takes place, it could be beneficial. According to him, fears about the rising sea levels are not necessary. New research indicates that increased ocean evaporation due to warming, would lead to more rain, and therefore to more ice accumulation in the polar regions. This in turn, would actually drop sea levels. Also, due to less temperature gradient between the Equator and the Poles, severe weather would be less frequent.

Well forgetting the Eskimos claim tribal records going back 1000s of years the fact that a bear species is being threatened with extinction because the ice is disappearing is evidence enough this problem hasn't been around for tens of thousands of years if not longer.

In any case, as I said above, this isn't supposed to be a debate on global warming. If you don't believe it is occurring, then there really isn't any need to respond in this thread.

I was not meaning to derail the question at hand, I was just responding to the topic. I should have added that I do not believe people will be bothered by any changes in weather unless the likes of Katrina or extreme drought in unlikely places become a yearly occurrence. Even then I doubt they would move. People are just too stubborn, as has been pointed out they will live just about anywhere(volcano islands, extremely active fault lines, etc..)

Well forgetting the Eskimos claim tribal records going back 1000s of years the fact that a bear species is being threatened with extinction because the ice is disappearing is evidence enough this problem hasn't been around for tens of thousands of years if not longer.

In any case, as I said above, this isn't supposed to be a debate on global warming. If you don't believe it is occurring, then there really isn't any need to respond in this thread.

I am not certain on the global warming issue being caused by humans, otherwise how in the heck would we have ice ages followed by warming followed by ice ages followed by warming. I think we give ourselves too much credit. But, also there is no doubt the Earth is warming, as the above Polar Ice Cap photos have proven.

As for the question at hand, I recently moved to SC from from OH. The climate was 1 turn on but not the main reason, it was my job offer, and cost of living. My house here is Rock Hill is almost twice the size of the house I had in the Cleveland area, is newer, and still cost less. Those types of reasons will keep Northerners and Midwesterners interested in moving down here. Also, from what I have been told by long time residents, the Winters are more mild, but the summers aren't as bad as they remember them used to being. Last summer, I think we hit 100 here maybe twice, while several residents told me, that usually happens much more than that, but it hasn't lately.

So to answer the question, 20 yrs is way to short a timespan to say anything different than the current status quo will happen here. In regards to Hurricanes hitting the costs more often, where were all the storms they were forecasting would develop last summer? They never materialized. I don't remember even 1 Hurricane in the Atlantic or Gulf or Carribean last year.

• 4 weeks later...

Good point Ohioan. The earth has probably gotten slightly warmer but only in a typical warm period IMHO. There is so much money in the pro human caused global warming debate that it's hard to separate the politics from the equation. I think we give ourselves WAY too much credit. Personally, I think it's incredibly arrogant of us as humans to suggest that we can singlehandedly destroy a planet through releasing too many gas fumes that has been around for ages and ages. This all occurring in less than 125 years and less than 200 years of reliable record keeping.

I am absolutely amazed at the number of people who DON'T believe in the FACTS supporting global warming! I guess it's much nicer to wear shorts in February and drive around in our convertibles on Christmas Eve. However, when weather patterns change and water supplies are stressed, cities become unsustainable due to water shortages, power grids fail due to reduced flow thru hydro electic stations, diseases are more prevalent, and crops fail; maybe then people will wake up. It's too bad humanity has to be reactionary and not pro-active to threats like this.

I am absolutely amazed at the number of people who DON'T believe in the FACTS supporting global warming! I guess it's much nicer to wear shorts in February and drive around in our convertibles on Christmas Eve. However, when weather patterns change and water supplies are stressed, cities become unsustainable due to water shortages, power grids fail due to reduced flow thru hydro electic stations, diseases are more prevalent, and crops fail; maybe then people will wake up. It's too bad humanity has to be reactionary and not pro-active to threats like this.

Can you show me some evidence that all of this is caused by humans affecting the climate? As far as I know, there is a long, long, long history of periods of warmer weather, droughts, floods, colder weather, disease, crop failure, etc... that is completely out of our hands (except for the disease part...for the most part that can be attributed to humans having little knowledge of how disease spreads).

How do we know that if we make drastic changes to how much we pollute and destroy the earth that it will have any effect on the warming climate? What happens to the theory if we have a decade of cooling? Do scientist really know what will happen if the earth's temperature increases by just a few degrees, or do we have to put all of our stock on their predictions?

I'm sorry if I come off as skeptical, but I keep hearing about how hot it is, but I just don't feel it.

......not that I disagree with preserving and protecting the environment and passing regulations on cleaner water, air, and fuel sources, but I think that the media has taken this sensational story and completely blown it through the roof.

They don't know so it's just easy to bash people that don't automatically lap up everything the chicken little crowd wants everyone to believe about global warming. No one even considers the big heat spell and dustbowl of the 1930s followed in the 70s at a time when people actually wondered if we were heading into an ice age. Even if we started killing off tens of thousands of jobs and sending taxes through the roof (which would be the result of going all out on the pro global warming train), then who is to say we'd solve the problem. Judging from the panic the pro global warming crowd wants to raise with ridiculous thread titles like this, it's too late to do anything now anyway.

Archived