Will South be Abandoned due to Global Warming?

monsoon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe that we humans need to be much more proactive about global warming. I don't think we are the main cause of it, but I can see how we've contributed towards it.

I see nothing wrong w/ regulations that will help ween us off the use of fossil fuels and turn us onto more alternative sources of energy. For instance, my area is serviced by 2 nuclear power plants "Catawba & McGuire", but their hasn't been a new Nuke plant built in like 30 yrs in this country. These plants are much cleaner than coal fired plants, pollute much less, and provide more electricity than coal plants. Heck, I believe most of Europe uses Nuclear power now.

I just don't see why so many believe the sky is falling crowd on this issue. These are the same folks that said we were heading towards an ice age 30 yrs ago and like an above poster said, conveniantly forget the 1930s dust bowl. Also, there's evidence that while the North Pole Ice Caps are melting, the Antarctic Ice Caps are enlarging, I haven't seen satelite photos that prove this, so I am not saying it is absolutey positively true, but if it is, what does that say about our planet's climate.

i found a few interesting photos...

this is photo of the Muir Glacier in 1941..

Muir_glacier_1941.jpg

This is the same "Glacier" today...

Muir_glacier_2004.jpg

Comparison photos of the McCarty Glacier in Alaska. The glacier is obviously no longer visible in the recent image...

350px-McCarty_Glacier.jpg

and heres a satalite photo showing the breakup of the Larsen B Ice Shelf in 2002. The area of collapse is comparable in size to the US state of Rhode Island. In 2002, satellites recorded an even larger disintegration than what occurred in 1995. Between January 31 and March 5 2002, approximately 3,250 square kilometers of the Larsen B shattered, releasing 720 billion tons of ice into the Weddell Sea. It was the largest single disintegration event in 30 years of ice shelf monitoring. Preliminary studies of sediment cores suggest that it may have been this ice shelf's first collapse in 12,000 years...hmm..lol

350px-Larsen_B_Collapse_Size_Compar.png

here is a link to animation of the Larsen B Ice Shelf breaking off.. Larsen B Ice Shelf Animation

now whether or not this is due to global warming im sure some will argue about....but to me, pictures are proof and i totally think we are the cause to this...i mean i do believe glaciers typically do shrink and come back but not to this magnitude to where they completely dissapear...same with ice shelfs...they break off every year...but the size of states such as Rhode Island??...720 billion tons of ice??...i mean come on...SOMETHINGS going on here lol...but ya know...thats just me

Your missing a picture from the late 30s that would look somewhat similar to the last picture. :P

I don't believe man-made global warming is happening but I do believe we are contributing to natural global warming cycle. In other words nothing is happening that wouldn't be happening in the first place. Though I personally think we should do more to preserve our natural resources.

:stop: Don't kill the livestock: After we're out of oil, we won't be able to run the tractors. We'll need those animals to work on the farms, and we can put their waste to use to help keep the soil fertile. I don't believe you need cheap mid-east oil to operate a horse or a cow.

I don't think the entire South will be abandoned but I do expect a MAJOR migration from people from parts of South Florida, Louisiana (NOLA), etc. They expect if the ice caps continue to melt by 2020 or even later that parts of the state of Florida, will be underwater (South Florida, parts of Central and N. Florida) but in the South I do expect health-issues, agricultural issues etc.

Scary Thought lol!

sealevel.gif

All of this debate about when the flooding will begin is ludicrous, in my mind. The earth's climate is so complex that we humans are incapable of understanding it. All the models that exist are worthless, IMO. There is no doubt that the climate has warmed over the past few decades, not even a blink of the eye in the scheme of things. But to blame this increase on changes in one variable, CO2, is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous. Nothing remains static in the world we live on. NOTHING!!! We cannot say we are the primary source of climate change and are probably arrogant to even think so. Please read this article that states that there have been times in the ancient past of this planet when carbon dioxide levels were sixteen times higher than today. And there were times of glaciation during those periods. There is still a debate raging in the scientific community about this, despite what anyone is hearing and reading from the media. I doubt if we will ever truly understand what is going on for centuries to come.

Higher CO2 Levels in Ancient Times

As we all know one of the big reasons that people relocate to the South is because of the warm winter weather. It should be no surprise to anyone now that we are faced with the effects of global warming as there is plenty of scientific evidence that it is here and we are going to have to deal with it. For the purposes of this topic, global warming could mean that in 20 years Northern winters are no longer that cold and that Southern summers have become brutally hot. And on top of that hurricanes, storms, and flooding could be much worse in such a hot environment. I am assuming there won't be much done about global warming until it becomes much worse as many people, including a lot of Southerners, are still in denial that it even exists.

So the question is will the spectre of a hotter more stormy environment cause a mass migration of people from the South back to the Northern climates? Will Chicago for example become the new super city of the USA? What cities are the most likely to lose people in the South due to global warming and why? Can anything be done to combat the effects of it?

Global Warming has not been proven, to my knowledge. There are both strong proponets and opponets to the theory. I happen to believe that the earth can take care of itself and that any temperature increases are primarily cyclic. 20 years from now, we could just as easily see warm winters in the north as we could see a cyclic return of brutal winters in the north. It probably will not affect southern cities in either case.

Global warming's possible affects on the Southeast got a passing mention in an article on CNN.com today, Study: Global warming may create 'novel' climates:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Some climates may disappear from Earth entirely, not just from their current locations, while new climates could develop if the planet continues to warm, a study says.

Areas like the Southeastern United States and the Arabian Peninsula may also be affected, the researchers said.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mistake my skepticism with man made global warming with wanting to clean up the environment. I'm 100% all for finding alternative fuel sources. That't not a global warming issue to me but a quality of life issue (clean and renewable fuel) that needs to be worked on. I just have a hard time believing folks that think in only 10 to 15 years state boundaries will have to significantly redrawn and only 120 years of industrialization has caused this.

Archived