Tennessean of the Year

franktown

So what do you all think about the Tennessean's choice with Tennessean of the Year; Dolly Parton. They picked her based on her work with the Imagination Library over Martha Ingram, A.A. Birch, Gerald Nicely, Wynonna Judd, and Dr. James Hildreth. So, do you all agree with their choice of Dolly over the others. I think that Dr. Hildreth would have been my choice because of his potential global impact, although I think that Dolly's work with Imagination Library is important. I didn't think that Mrs. Ingram deserved the nod, I mean, I realize she helped the Symphony Center come in to existence, but....all she did was donate some money, is that really deserving? Any other suggestions for who should have been TOTY?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the clinical trials of Dr. Hildreth's work prove successful. In that regard I would definately place him in the same light as Jonas Salk and others whose medical research have changed the world for the better. And with that success may all the accolades he would richly deserve be given him.

I'm in agreement with Dolly as the choice for 2006. The Imagination Library is far reaching and Dolly has been a big part of its success. With this program, perhaps more young people as they grow up will work toward the betterment of our state, our nation and our world which otherwise may have missed opportunities because of a lack of reading skills, positive psychological reinforcement and ambition. There are kids hiding among us with the potential skills and human impact that may never have otherwise been realized. Perhaps there will be other Dr. Hildreth's because of initiatives such as this.

Dolly is also Tennessee's ambassador once again as evidenced by the recent Kennedy Center recognition. She's done much to make the world smile on Tennessee and put our city and our state in the global spotlight. I mentioned to a buddy the other day that I'm really glad to have grown up in a world that has a Dolly and that Dolly is ours. I've never met a warmer, more congenial person.

I'm proud of all the nominees and hold an intense hope that there will be many more of their ilk as Tennessee continues to take its place on the world stage, whether it be medical research, literacy, entertainment, assistance to children, medical care, government and partly in Dolly's case, showing the world that Tennessee cares and is just one fine place to live.

So what do you all think about the Tennessean's choice with Tennessean of the Year; Dolly Parton. They picked her based on her work with the Imagination Library over Martha Ingram, A.A. Birch, Gerald Nicely, Wynonna Judd, and Dr. James Hildreth. So, do you all agree with their choice of Dolly over the others. I think that Dr. Hildreth would have been my choice because of his potential global impact, although I think that Dolly's work with Imagination Library is important. I didn't think that Mrs. Ingram deserved the nod, I mean, I realize she helped the Symphony Center come in to existence, but....all she did was donate some money, is that really deserving? Any other suggestions for who should have been TOTY?

Archived