"Massive" retail project proposed for Algoma Twp/Rockford

GRDadof3

Developer wants to build a 'retail super center'

ALGOMA TOWNSHIP -- A developer's vision for a massive retail center near the Rockford Meijer store calls for 3,150 parking spaces around an unnamed "retail super center" flanked by a home improvement store and 22 smaller commercial buildings.

"Overwhelming" is how Donald Bates, the building official for Algoma Township, described the project.

Jay Barnes, the developer, sees the proposed complex as a spark plug for the region's economy.

Here we go again. Anyone want to place wagers as to who the main tenant is they are looking at getting?

It doesn't say specifically in the article, but I believe it's this land in red (Rockford Meijer retail center in blue):

340740441_5f981b999e_o.jpg

I don't know if in the long run building more retail projects "spurs the economy". I just read that the Detroit Metro area has added 12 million square feet of retail in the past few years. It doesn't seem to have helped them much, if at all.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's in the correct township ;) I'm pretty sure that's the parcel. Interestingly, before Meijers went in, it was proposed for a residential development but never went forward. IIRC, the neighbors fought it over density (among other things - traffic, crime, home to wildlife, etc, etc, etc) . I want to say Cross was the developer.

My first reaction when I saw the words "retail super center" I was thinking oh lord, another walmart.

But then I thought ok this is Rockford...if Walmart was to even be mentioned it would be rejected in a heart beat. But Walmart usually carries Lowe's with them wherever they go (home improvement store)

So what do you think it could be? The only thing I could think of is Target?

I don't see that this proposal reflects our econonmy whatsoever. To me this is the Rivertown process over again. Whoever builds first wins the race. I don't see this particular project, the multiple lifestyle centers, the proposed Walker development all getting built. One, maybe two get finished.

However, I see it as more as a distribution of retail dollars with all the SQ footage being added rather then adding to what in this market I feel is an already saturated retail market. Metro GR is not generating or increasing wealth at a rate to support all of these developments.

I'm betting a Walmart supercenter is the heart and soul of this proposal. Some say that Rockford will reject Wal-Mart to which I hope they do. However Wal-Mart is in the mist of remaking its image to appeal to clientel that would choose to shop at a more hip retailer like Target. So Wal-Mart would not be out of the question. Speaking of Target, they too would be a likely main draw for this proposal as the people of Rockford falls smack dab in the mist of the demographics Target aims for. Thus if Wally World is not the "unnamed retail supercenter" a Target Greatland or a Super Target store would be likely.

One simply needs to read the full article to realize that this is not a new proposal, simply another attempt by Encore to keep their original idea alive somehow. If they are hoping to achieve a compromise via repeated end-arounds, lawsuits or other shenanigans, they will quickly learn (since they clearly haven't yet) that they face a very committed trio of municipalities who have all fervently agreed to the current land use plan for that corridor. I wouldn't get any of our undies in a bunch just yet over this pipe-dream of a project. The ignorance that Encore's representative displayed in his comments in the article regarding Rockford's retail "needs" further bolsters my confidence that this has little chance of becoming reality.

If Meijer indeed owns the water main, than Meijer could keep its competitiors out by refusing to share services. No Target and no Wally World. Thus no retail center.

But it's a city water main that Meijer negotiated with Rockford. I'm pretty sure the City will have something to say before letting anyone else tap into that line.

"If" the proposed development here actually occurs, I would think that Meijer would be satisfied to have Target as an anchor if and only if its not a SuperTarget.

Based purely on speculation alone, I think that the Target/Meijer combo complement each other quite nicely, (IE 54th St & Clyde Park Meijer/Target & M-6/Kalamazoo Meijer/Target)

"If" the proposed development here actually occurs, I would think that Meijer would be satisfied to have Target as an anchor if and only if its not a SuperTarget.

Based purely on speculation alone, I think that the Target/Meijer combo complement each other quite nicely, (IE 54th St & Clyde Park Meijer/Target & M-6/Kalamazoo Meijer/Target)

I always hate this arguement.....

"The state of Michigan has been in the tank for a couple years. This is an opportunity to give the economy a shot in the arm," said Barnes, a principal with Grand Rapids-based Encore Development Group LLC. "It would be a bad idea to treat some of these retailers with a cold shoulder

Just an update: the Algoma ZBA denied Encore's request this week. The Encore rep was quoted as saying he viewed the ZBA denial as merely a formality (before they elevate to lawsuit levels). It amazes me how brazen these developers can be in the face of such overwhelming opposition. This one faces no less than the combined clout of three municipalities AND Meijers (who has some control over who can tap into utilities in that area). As a party to the 10 Mile Corridor Overlay Committee, I can assure you there is vast opposition to this development. Seems a shame they're willing to spend money on attorneys instead of appropriate development.

Archived