Mayor Herenton holds annual prayer breakfast

watnow1425

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't see why we can't have both lower crime and a new stadium. The stadium could be built with UofM dollars but I don't feel as though we should let the city cheat our university like that. If they could raise the majority of the money i would be happy to help pay for the rest. Of course thats me and i'm not sure about how the rest of Memphis would feel about that.

I totally agree...anyone that lives in Memphis knows the three or four areas to avoid--namely North Memphis, South Memphis, Hickory Hill and Frayser. There's absolutely no reason to go there anyway! I'd be willing to bet that if you mapped out the all of the homicides from last year, 90% of them happened in one of these areas and it was young, black male killing young, black male. Other violent crimes would trend in a similar manner.

I get so tired of hearing people talk about what a horrible city Memphis is because of our crime. Can it be reduced? Of course, greatly. Does it keep me from enjoying this beautiful city and all the amenities that are provided to me by living in a major city? Absolutely not!

This perception that Memphis is horrible, crime-ridden hole is insane! I'd challenge all Memphians to recognize this fact and help outsiders understand how skewed that perception really is! If it's so bad here, why would 2 Fortune 500 companies move here in one year? Why would someone relocate their $250 million team here? Why would major groups hold conventions here? Why would outsiders invest billions of dollars in our city? The list goes on and on and on...

I suppose you have been to memphis before and seen our city. It might have a few more problems than other cities, but I feel most of it is restricted to certain areas. In my opinion, we have one of the prettiest cities in the country. I feel like once people get past the rankings they will realize that it is not as bad as it seems. We do have our problems and I would love for the crime to be reduced mainly to attract business and a great quality of life.

My friends who live outside of memphis say the same things to me about the crime, but I ask them what they thought when they visited the city with me. Their response is "where you live and the areas you visit aren't normal." I don't do anything or go anywhere that anybody else can't. Memphis has a perception that needs to be changed. I think your friends will see that their perception is wrong if they visit the city.

h

i think that some of us really need to look at raw numbers before believing in unreliable rankings. I read in today's CA that New Orleans had either 160 or 161 murders in 2006. THE LOWEST IN 60 YEARS, with a as population of only 200,000. As compared to Memphis 160 out of nearly 700k. What are some more numbers from other cities? Anyway, as someone stated earlier, murder rates arent' a good measure of how "safe" the city is, as an overwhelming percentage are between people that know each other.

Off topic: But I was reading Wendi Thoma's article last week about a tourist who had visted the city serval times, but had his truck looted at the Midtown Applebee's and vowed to never return. I've lived in Memphis for 27 years, and have only been the victim of crime twice: had my car broken into as a student while at UTK and was robbed when i was visiting Atlanta. I'd sound like a complete idiot if I said I would have never gone back to either of those cities. This article and antecdotes just contribute to the media hype and poor self-esteem the city has.

This perception that Memphis is horrible, crime-ridden hole is insane! I'd challenge all Memphians to recognize this fact and help outsiders understand how skewed that perception really is! If it's so bad here, why would 2 Fortune 500 companies move here in one year? Why would someone relocate their $250 million team here? Why would major groups hold conventions here? Why would outsiders invest billions of dollars in our city? The list goes on and on and on...

Every city has crime, and every city has crime anecdotes. Clearly we are no different. But that's no reason to hole up or to live in fear.

The USA as a nation has a horrible crime problem compared to most developed countries of the world. But I don't hear anyone threatening to move, or whining about some big, national project. And our crime rate doesn't seem to affect our desire to live here, spend money here, or welcome outsiders. Memphis is no different.

Every city has crime, and every city has crime anecdotes. Clearly we are no different. But that's no reason to hole up or to live in fear.

The USA as a nation has a horrible crime problem compared to most developed countries of the world. But I don't hear anyone threatening to move, or whining about some big, national project. And our crime rate doesn't seem to affect our desire to live here, spend money here, or welcome outsiders. Memphis is no different.

I realize that the numbers being talked about is 60 million but I have a real problem believing that when it is all said and done that will be the final figure. I think the Mayor just wanted to put the idea out there and used the 60 million figure as a start, remember he also showed a break down of ford field. Yes, the total cost of edward jones dome was 280 million but that figure also included an adjacent convention center which cost approx.75-80 million alone. My proposal does not include any type of convention space. Total cost of what I propose 185-200 million. I base this on less seats and suites than EDJ and no convention space.

Here's a break down of the 2

EDJ 66,000 seats, 6,300 club suites, 125 luxury suites and convention center space.

Memphis Legacy Park Stadium 55,000 seats, 5000 club seats, and 100 luxury suites and no convention center space. With room to expand if necessary.

Quite a difference in the price tag don't you think?

How many of you think that Sheriff Mark Luttrell's proposal that we need a new jail is a political ploy to coincide with the Mayor's proposal to explore a new stadium. The timing just seems a bit curious when Memphians are already (unfairly) are putting the Stadium vs. Crime. Its also interesting that the new jail would be 250 million dollars, a very very close price to the FedEx Forum.

How many of you think that Sheriff Mark Luttrell's proposal that we need a new jail is a political ploy to coincide with the Mayor's proposal to explore a new stadium. The timing just seems a bit curious when Memphians are already (unfairly) are putting the Stadium vs. Crime. Its also interesting that the new jail would be 250 million dollars, a very very close price to the FedEx Forum.

Archived