Happy new year!

crossroad

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The crime problem needs to be dealt with.

It remains the elephant in the room that cannot be ignored forever. You can put up as many condos and biotech parks as you like, but a city that no one feels safe in is not going to be able to capitalize on the momentum of any major projects being undertaken.

I've been to many big cities in the U.S. and I've never seen such a widespread, deeply-ingrained disrespect for the law as I saw while living in Memphis. It's almost pathological, and it needs to be taken care of before it renders another neighborhood a wasted warzone.

decrease in crime

more development in Overton Square/Cooper Young area

light rail plans progress for downtown/airport line...and the line is moved to go through Cooper Young

construction commences on 1 Beale, Horizon, and Bluffhaus

major retail announcements for downtown

Pinch district care

NWA commits to city more with more flights and announcement of increase in international service

Concourse renovations at MEM to make it more modern throughout the entire facility

Forest Hill Plaza announces Nordstrom and Saks/Neiman Marcus/etc as the two anchor facilities

city seriously looks at ferry service between Tunica and Memphis

Tunica lands a new air carrier

Nashville and Memphis look into creating a rail service between the two cities

decrease in crime

more development in Overton Square/Cooper Young area

light rail plans progress for downtown/airport line...and the line is moved to go through Cooper Young

construction commences on 1 Beale, Horizon, and Bluffhaus

major retail announcements for downtown

Pinch district care

NWA commits to city more with more flights and announcement of increase in international service

Concourse renovations at MEM to make it more modern throughout the entire facility

Forest Hill Plaza announces Nordstrom and Saks/Neiman Marcus/etc as the two anchor facilities

city seriously looks at ferry service between Tunica and Memphis

Tunica lands a new air carrier

Nashville and Memphis look into creating a rail service between the two cities

Start construction of a highrise

CSX gives up

New leadership

New tallest/after OneBeale

I-69 starts construction near Dyersburg

I-269 gets near completion

Pyramid is made Egypt Museum/Amusement Park

more "Smart planning"

Memphis reaches 700,000 in population and 1,300,000 in metro

Intercity Rail connecting Memphis with Nashville,Little Rock, and Birmingham is proposed

Tunica-Memphis Monorail approved

Main Street gets further along in developments

I think i might add somemore later.

oh and crime is run out of town and towards neighboring major cities

This.

Nobody in their right mind is going to ride a light rail line down Lamar and neighboring streets. This was the worst possible alternative they could have selected. The undoubtedly low ridership numbers combined with a likely crime spree on the trains/stations will effectively doom any further expansion of the system in Memphis for many years to come.

If they actually put it in a part of the city where people wanted to go and might feel as though they would live to reach their destination, then you would see people adopt it once they broke out of the mentality that they need to drive a car everywhere and public transportation is the devil. However, I don't see that happening.

Archived