Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

perrykat

Laurens Road

14 posts in this topic

I thought it would be good if we had a thread about Laurens Rd, like we've had about some other areas that are in need of revitalization or repair.

What could and should be done about Laurens Rd? I realize that it's not as bad as some of the other roads/areas in Greenville, but it could definately use some work. Maybe with all of the development on the former Hollingsworth property, as well as Bi-Lo opening up and the rennovations going on at Verdae Village [formerly Market Fair], we will see some revitalization take place.

I noticed yesterday that there were a lot of cars parked in front of the old OfficeMax store and it looked like the lights were on. Is something going in there? That whole shopping center is a disaster.

Also Goody's has been completely torn down. What's going there? Another car dealership?

By Laurens Road do you mean the the official stretch between I-385 and Mauldin or is this restricted to the "Motor Mile"? Could this also include the Stone Ave. which is technically the same stretch of road until it intersects with with Rutherford Road?

By 'Laurens Road', I was mostly thinking about the part from Mauldin to Pleasantburg, but I guess this discussion could include the stretch up to 385 (where it becomes Stone Ave.).

A few things I can think of:

Palmetto Home & Gardens moved to Laurens into what had been a vacant building.

The new Fresh Market and the attached retail center at the corner of Laurens and Pleasantburg.

Where Goody's is being torn down is supposedly for a new Wal-Mart. Not thrilled about it, but at least it's a re-use of existing empty commercial space.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact a Wal-Mart may be coming to Lauren's Road. It's almost like the double dipping thing on Seinfeld. I want to be like that guy who approached George and say, "You had a store on Lauren's Road, you moved to Woodruff Road. Just stay there and be done with it but don't double dip!"

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact a Wal-Mart may be coming to Lauren's Road. It's almost like the double dipping thing on Seinfeld. I want to be like that guy who approached George and say, "You had a store on Lauren's Road, you moved to Woodruff Road. Just stay there and be done with it but don't double dip!"

:rofl:

What's interesting is that we could very well have 3 Wal-Mart Supercenters within 6 miles of one another:

Laurens Road, I-85 mile marker 48

Woodruff Road, I-85 mile marker 51

Pelham Road, I-85 mile marker 54

:shok:

Better yet, I don't see why the county couldn't also require them to tear down the building if/when they abandon it. That would at least prevent the eyesore and open up the area to more development.

And also go a long way toward reducing the value of the real estate and thus the county's tax income... :lol:

Wouldn't that be nice, that way the burden could be shifted onto the rest of us! :blink: