Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miesian Corners

Belk Mansion at Presby to be Demolished?

6 posts in this topic

I heard last week from a friend who is supposedly "in the know" that Presbyterian will demolish the Belk mansion (on Hawthorne Ln beside the parking garage) to construct a new building. The mansion housed the Presbyterian Hospital Foundation until recently when they were relocated. It is currently vacant.

Anyone else heard rumblings about this?

Presbyterian would be a horrible corporate citizen if it did this! I thought the whole point of saving the mansion in the first place was to keep the charm of the neighborhood and some history of the area, since they tore down their original building long ago.

Here is a picture of that mansion:

341610574_6edbe3db98_o.jpg

Here is the update that Rodgers Builders still has on their website about saving the building just 16 years ago!

http://www.rodgersbuilders.com/our_portfol...ectcategoryID=6

This is extremely shortsighted! There are acres upon acres of vacant and underutilized land directly adjacent to Presbyterian hospital. Why on earth would they not just purchase some of the land for their projects over the coming decades. Instead, they will use up this sliver of land, destroying something a significant value for the city and for their public goodwill. But then they will still have to buy land for future projects!

This is outrageous! I hope the city council and all preservation authorities, Grubb, and the Elizabeth neighborhood all give a resounding rebuke to them for even considering such a thing.

Presbyterian would be a horrible corporate citizen if it did this! I thought the whole point of saving the mansion in the first place was to keep the charm of the neighborhood and some history of the area, since they tore down their original building long ago.

Here is the update that Rodgers Builders still has on their website about saving the building just 16 years ago!

http://www.rodgersbuilders.com/our_portfol...ectcategoryID=6

This is extremely shortsighted! There are acres upon acres of vacant and underutilized land directly adjacent to Presbyterian hospital. Why on earth would they not just purchase some of the land for their projects over the coming decades. Instead, they will use up this sliver of land, destroying something a significant value for the city and for their public goodwill. But then they will still have to buy land for future projects!

This is outrageous! I hope the city council and all preservation authorities, Grubb, and the Elizabeth neighborhood all give a resounding rebuke to them for even considering such a thing.

The Belk Mansion is a Designated Historic Landmark. That means that if a Demolition Permit were applied for this structure then the Historic Landmarks Commision would be able to delay the demolition up to 1 year to find funding to save the building.

They better not demo it, or we should demo Presbyterian. Just kidding. But seriously, I would be pissed.