Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Abandoned section of I-95

14 posts in this topic

Just west of Newburyport lies an abandoned section of I-95. It's a really short section south of 113 where they straightened out a curve in the road. Anyway, I noticed there is only one lane there. I know that I-95 was a divided highway, so why is there only one direction left? It sits a little far away to by covered by the new roadway. Has the other direction simply been covered over?

post-6913-1167700968_thumb.jpg

post-6913-1167700968_thumb.jpg

It looks like the other carriageway was ripped out. They may have kept one side open while they built bridges for the reallignment or something, i.e. moved the southbound lanes to the new section, and had northbound on the old section while they finished bridges over the new northbound lanes. Or they could have kept that one section for police car testing or cab meter testing or some such.

Not too much of a curve to straighten out, I wonder what justified the project.

I believe, but I am not 100% positive, that there was also a substantial widening of the road at the time, too.

Is this north of 128?

I am sure you probably already know, butif you dont, the plans originally for I95 to go through Boston, not around it.

You can see the old alignment that was abandoned during construction on google maps. I am not sure how to link the map in here though. It is at RT 1 northeast of Boston and rt. 60. On the mainland side just west of Nahant.

I am sure you probably already know, butif you dont, the plans originally for I95 to go through Boston, not around it.

You can see the old alignment that was abandoned during construction on google maps. I am not sure how to link the map in here though. It is at RT 1 northeast of Boston and rt. 60. On the mainland side just west of Nahant.

I wonder where the hell they were going to go with it after that?

Wasn't the southern end of 95 supposed to continue from the 93 interchange all the way into the center of Boston as well? You can see there's clearing for a full cloverleaf interchange at the 95/93 interchange. I want to say I had heard that 95 was going to use what became the rail right-of-way for the Northeast Corridor.

I want to say I had heard that 95 was going to use what became the rail right-of-way for the Northeast Corridor.

Oh my God that would have been devastating. Imagine all of the Fens and Cambridge, all prime real estate, that would been destroyed. The NEC alignment is a great example of planning in the right direction, rail instead of highways!

I always hated Melnea Cass Blvd and wondered what in the hell its purpose was, now I get it.